“The hostile Hostle”

Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel
Aptos, California
“The hostile Hostle”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

The accommodations were adequate and the "volunteer" staff was friendly but the manager Zero was just a rude and unpleasent. he yelled and cursed at the father of the other person sharing our unit for not observing "quite" time even though we couldn't hear him in our room right across from them. He was also very rude. I would never stay here again. for $14 more we had a great place to stay at the Kona Islander Inn.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My friend and I only spent one night at Patey's Place, and it was good for us. Free parking, free wifi, good info, fairly friendly staff. I really enjoyed the hammock which was perfect for doing a little reading. We stayed in a dorm room which was fine but nothing special. I would probably not stay longer than a night or two again, but I would return.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RunsAmok
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The people there were great and I had a great stay....UNTIL I found bed bugs in my luggage upon leaving. When I called to confront the manager about this she was very unhelpful and denied any responsibility for the bed bugs and any chance of them being there, despite one employee telling me they had had experiences with them recently.
So all in all, if I had left bed bug free I would have been happy, but once I had a problem (one that cost me almost $1000 in replacing items I had to throw away) it was very clear that the person in charge was only amicable to paying customers who had no problems, but was unwilling to help my situation and contact the owner on my behalf.

I would never want anyone to go through this experience.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Lots of rules to follow but it helps A LOT to keep order. Definitely not a party hostel [no alcohol allowed on premises] but keeps the grounds quiet and peaceful. There are a lot of spiders outside and one crawled into the coed dorm room and bit my leg but it is healing nicely [bugs are just naturally drawn to me]. I was the only girl in the coed room and it wasn't a problem at all. The beds were comfy [I sleep like a rock anyhow] and the bathroom/living room were all clean. Great location for the price [25 a person plus hotel taxes] Would definitely stay again just would need some bug spray before hopping into bed. If the spider thing freaks you out, try to get the top bed farthest from the window [I slept on the lower bunk right next to the window]

Room Tip: dorms are awesome unless you NEED privacy
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
montreal
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We paid $75/night for a private room and the room was super hot and the window was busted. It felt like crashing in your ghetto friend`s spare bedroom. We`ve stayed in hostels around the world and this was one of the worst, even compared to third-world country hostels.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kk_montreal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
0.7 km away
0.5 km away
Kona Islander Inn
Kona Islander Inn
#33 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel? Share your experiences!