“Awesome”

Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors are born and raised in the islands. Who better to visit when on the Big Island of Hawaii but the Natives! Learn how to surf the Kona style waves with our ohana (family) of Hawaiian watermen. Located in the Heart of Kailua-Kona On Ali'i Drive. HLSI proudly works with the Make A Wish Foundation year round and a family owned and operated Big Island Surf School since the 1990's.
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I booked a semi private lesson for my 2 teenagers and from the second we walked in to their headquarters to the time we left the beach it was great. Super friendly and made the kids very comfortable in the water. They had a great time taking lessons from Kali'i while John took photos of their efforts. I recommend buying the up front $50 photo package which allows you to download onto your computer after they send you the link. Otherwise you'll be paying a lot more per photo. Great experience. Mahalo.

HLSI, Manager at Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

On behalf of our Team and ohana (family) here at HLSI, thank you for taking the time to review our services. Sharing your experience helps others find us and insures them we provide quality service for their familes to enjoy. We look forward to surfing with your family again in the future.
Aloha from Team HLSI

in 10 reviews
"waves"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Thank you Tif & HLSI We had lots of fun! So good to see everyone out there having a great time.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

We live in Georgia so when my husband, myself and our 18 yr. old daughter went to Hawaii our daughter wanted to take a surfing lesson. We were a little bit skeptical (were do you surf in GA.) but said ok. I am glad we did and also glad we picked Hawaii Lifeguard surf instructors. She had a private 2 hour lesson and loved every minute of it. The instructor was great and very patient. I couldn't believe how excited my husband and I got the first time she stood up on the board on a wave. She was so excited when the lesson was over. Of course she wants to do it again!!!

HLSI, Owner at Hawaii Lifeguard Surf Instructors, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

On behalf of our ohana (family) thank you for joining us out on the water. We value your review and thank you for sharing your experience with everyone. We look forwad to surfing with you all again. Aloha from Team HLSI

Reviewed 29 February 2012

On the last day of our long vacation tired and worn out, our crew decided to finish our trip with a surf lesson. We did a little shopping around and ran across HLSI. They had a great price AND terrific reviews. Our party consisted of three adults and my six year old daughter. None of us had ever been on a surf board. My initial phone call with Tiffany made a good impression - that combined with the price and the good reviews- so we booked the lesson for the next morning. We first met Tiffany at the offices for the first part of our lesson. She was patient with all of our many questions and we took comfort learning of the many credentials of all the teachers, especially considering I was about to put my little girl on a board in the waves with one of them. We then followed the instructors to the beach for the water. ( We booked a private lesson for my daughter and a group lesson for the three adults). John, Jacob and Kellii had everything ready for us and got us all right out into the waves. Kellii was right by my daughter's side the entire time. He even got her standing a few times and she never fell off the board. John and Jacob took on the more difficult task of the adults! Their laid back confidence, friendly nature, patience and experience made for an awesome time...truly the highlight of our trip. I would, without question, recommend and use this family owned and operated business again.