See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This hotel or motel which it feels like is beyond gross . I wish I had found more negative reviews before booking because their living up to their posts. The smell hits you as you walk in with a stench of mold and crumbs were on the desk and one lamp did not work. the beds both had hairs in them as well as the bathtub. So gross we wouldn't walk barefoot. It was late at night and we had a total of 9 hours for our flight , but upon walking in I said lets leave and wish we would have. I couldn't sleep knowing that it smelled of mold and the sheets were dirty so we slept fully clothed and got up early to leave the room extra early. Will not recommend nor ever think of staying here again .EEWWWWWW

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Customer service was wonderful but Uncle Billy’s has seen better days. Price was okay but room was very dated and in poor condition, ( could use paint and repairs). Still it seemed clean and had a 60’s charm. You can’t beat the location and like I said, staff treat you like family. They went over and above for us.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Aloha Kayakismo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review of Kona Bay Hotel. We pride ourselves on being one of the last Hawaiian family owned and operated hotel in Hawaii, and hope to do so for many more years to come. Many of our guests love to experience the essence of the old Hawaii experience here with us, and we work hard to uphold that wholesome feeling. We are also excited to be in the process of renovating the hotel, and do hope to see you again in the near future!

Kona Bay Hotel Guest Relations

Reviewed 23 March 2018

The rooms aren't awful, just okay. The pool is nice. From the 3rd floor you might get a distant view of the ocean and the balconies are nice. Insist on a 3rd floor room. A 2nd floor room is okay. Do not stay on the bottom floor. It is too easy for someone to break into a 1st floor room through the patio doors. If you have toddlers keep a close eye on them. The uprights on the balconies are too far apart. A child could easily slip through them and fall to the ground. The bed was hard. The continental breakfast isn't worth your time. However, the location makes it worth your while to stay here. the Kona Bay Inn, a restaurant, iis just across the street. It has fabulous food, great service, and is right on the bay. There is shopping and lots of places to eat. On the same side of the street of Uncle Billy's are fresh fruit vendors. So, in spite of my negative comments, I'd stay here again.

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank BeachWizard4U
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Untrained staff, rooms that need to be reconditioned, house keeping staff less than honest, sub par breakfast,. Location is great but beyond that I wouldn't stay there again. Mauna and Florence at the front desk were helpful but limited by the condition of the facility.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2018

I booked this for 1 night because our flight was coming in late, and I had to save the drive to Volcano for the following day.

First impressions: the exterior of the place, the office, and the public areas seemed quite nice and kept up.

Second impressions: the room was not nice. I could see that the "bones" of this place were actually really awesome, as all the rooms had a great balcony facing inward toward the nicely maintained public areas. There weren't really any "bad" rooms in that regard. However the room was filthy, musty, and ill-kept. The carpet was far beyond its useful life and I'm sure was the source of the musty smell. I didn't really want to walk on it with bare feet.

Aside from the old carpet, the place was very poorly cleaned and maintained all the way around. From splatters and stains on the walls and ceiling to dirt and hair in corners and baseboards in the bathroom, it was clear there are serious cleaning and maintenance process issues here. It is one of those places where within the first few minutes you lose confidence in the cleanliness of every object and surface in the room.

I would say there are very few scenarios where this hotel deserves anything above one star, unless some of the other rooms are remodeled (and clean). I didn't have high expectations and it served its over-night purpose, which is the only scenario this place might be an acceptable stop. I would give zero stars if I had planned to stay for a week, as it would be very disappointing.

Let me be perfectly clear: Old does not give any business establishment a license to be dirty. It shouldn't be too difficult for a place like this to replace carpet (with some non-carpet surface preferably), repaint, and get an effective cleaning procedure. This place has the potential to be reasonably good.

I'd look for a different over-nighter next time around, unless some changes were evident.

Oh yeah, and expect $5 per night for parking.

Room Tip: Top floor, to avoid hearing foot traffic noise
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family