“Ocean front, what a great view.”

Aston Kona by the Sea
La Puente, California
“Ocean front, what a great view.”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Aston Kona by the Sea has great views. We were in unit 114, a corner unit on the first floor of rooms. We had a view of the pool and the ocean, which made it nice to spend time out on the lanai watching the surfers. Kona Village was just about a 5 minute drive away and a little past that was Target. Da Poke Shack was a few minutes walk away as well.

We really have no complaints about the unit. It was clean, comfortable and easily accessible from the stairs. The property itself is nice with key only access to the pool and "beach". There is also public access to the beach and the salt water pool just off of the parking lot. If you want to eat at a restaurant, you have to drive in to the village.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The WiFi is really only available in the lobby. You can also rent DVDs in the lobby from a kiosk.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that all rooms begin on the "2nd" floor as the parking garage is the ground f...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Smoocheee
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Our beautiful ocean front property and friendly staff combination equals a great Hawaiian vacation. Please return soon our family looks forward to having you again.

Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newburgh, Indiana
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Hubby and I stayed in room 306 for 7 days here in January. We found no problem with our room, the service or even check-in and out. Since we were traveling on to Maui after this week, we were happy to have the washer and dryer so we were able to pack less for this trip. I'm hard pressed to write anything negative about this place except maybe that the livingroom and diningroom furniture was pretty but not comfortable. This place is a great location, great service, nice pool and oceanfront and outdoor grills. The sunsets from our lanai were unbelievable! We definitely will stay here again next time we visit the Big Island.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynhe
We greatly appreciate your time to let our readers know of your experience with us. We will look forward to your return very soon.

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I read a lot of reviews before booking three rooms at this property, so when I placed my reservations using a combination of airline points and cash I decided to call and make sure everything was in order and most important to make sure we were all given updated rooms. I called on 8/15/11 and spoke to Sarah and gave her the details of the reservations, told her about the negative reviews on Trip Advisor due to rooms that have not been updated and specifically requested updated rooms and the fact that we were checking several properties on the Big Island to reserve rooms for an upcoming wedding. She asked me to e-mail her the reservation details so she could make sure they were in order and 4 days later she replied with reservation numbers. I noticed my daughter had 4 different reservation numbers so I replied to make sure she would not have to check in and out each day, but I never received a response.

Upon check-in it was total confusion and names, rooms and dates were a mess – but that is nothing compared to nightmare my daughter, her husband and baby got when they opened the door to room #207. The smell of mold and mildew hit them the instant they walked in. This unit has clearly never been updated. There was mold around the toilets and in the shower. It looks as though there may have been some flooding in the unit above because there was damage to the ceiling in several spots. When my son-in-law tried to open the screen door to the lanai to help with the smell the door fell off. When they asked about another room the next morning they were told to check back at noon. When they finally gave them another room the baby was napping and they could not move in until later that day. They basically lost an entire day on the island. The next day my daughter was called down to the front desk to check in AGAIN. I was told this was due to the 4 different reservation numbers so I asked why we could not just sign all 4 reservation slips at the time of our initial check-in and was told “yeah I guess you can do that”. Am I missing something or shouldn’t this have been suggested to us (the customer). Not surprisingly this was Sarah. I then asked her why my daughter was given such a horrible room when I asked her to make sure the rooms were updated. She said the room is not horrible and I told her it has mold on the ceiling and bathroom and she said there is no mold. So I asked if she had been in the room lately and she said “I don’t have time check every room” – OK, I get that, but shouldn’t someone check rooms that have received complaints?? My husband and I asked if we could get a room upgrade and mentioned a room we passed every day that was empty (we had room #305 and you only get a partial view as the right side of the building cuts off any view of the sunset) and Sarah once again replied with her lack of customer service skills, “No, that is a higher class room”. You would think after messing up the reservations and messing up the room she would upgrade us. The room we asked for was empty the entire time we were there.

I asked Sarah to let the manager know we wanted to talk to him, but of course she never did so I called him upon our return and he was very sorry and agreed to refund one night stay ASAP…..4 months later still no refund. Needless to say the wedding guests for our August 2012 wedding will be staying at the Royal Kona.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
17 Thank LAURIE S
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Aloha,

We again apologize for the series of inconveniences concerning your daughter’s room assignment and any confusion that occurred while we were resolving this. It was unfortunate that it had to be reserved that way by the travel agent. We were happy that we were able to move your daughter to a different room the following day. We are also happy to report that the unit initially assigned to your daughter was renovated last November, including a new ceiling, cabinets and counter tops and looks great..

We have worked with Sarah and addressed the concerns you mentioned with her. I am confident we have established the necessary solutions. The credit you expected will be reissued and we will make sure it finally gets to you.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to restore your faith in our operation. I am confident we can provide that great vacation you expect while at Kona by the Sea. I offer my personal assistance should you decide to return.

Mahalo!

Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 January 2012

What a beautiful get-away! The complex is so well kept and the staff is top-notch "personable" without ever interfering. The rooms are spacious, clean, and -- without even knowing "what we'd have to "cook with" -- great gourmet utensils! We didn't really know that would matter until we realized there were 4 grills -- immaculately cleaned each day -- right by the ocean! Well, that did it! After a zip-line tour to the Northern part of the island (recommended by the app staff at our complex), we stopped by a market and picked up dinner to grill! There is an amply staffed mini-market next door - in addition a larger grocery chain 10 minutes South of the complex. There is a Costco near the airport . . .great wines, fresh fish, etc. -- and remember, you can grill right at the complex! We did not snorkel at the complex, but, saw others snorkeling when we were leaving! Wish we had. There are beautiful beaches 5 minutes away! Great central location to all activities! We did it all in 4 days!

Again, the staff is there to "support" you -- they do not "push" in any manner. We were so thankful we had some guidance as to "what to do " or "wait to do" or simply, "not to waste our time doing". . .

We so enjoyed our "Big Island" Christmas stay! Aloha and Mahalo

Room Tip: Ocean Facing - but we think they all are
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pcolantonio
Aloha and thank you for staying with us. We appreciate that we were part of a great Hawaii vacation. We are proud of our staff that always welcomes our guests as family. We hope you will return very soon and bulid a relationship for many years to come.

swan lake mb canada
Reviewed 2 January 2012

All in all great. Staff very helpful, rooms are MASSIVE. Pay the extra $ and get oceanfront, not oceanview(overlooking pool). Clean, well maintained and fairly close to town. Not cheap but a much better deal than getting a couple of hotel rooms. No complaints.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gdesmond61
eagle10, Guest Relations Manager at Aston Kona by the Sea, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
We are happy you had a great holiday stay with us. Please return soon our staff, blue oceans and skys await you.

Guest Service Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
3.3 km away
Kanaloa at Kona
#9 of 36 in Kailua-Kona
38.8 km away
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Aston Kona by the Sea? Share your experiences!