All reviews sea wall conch shells sound of the waves light sleeper no tv or phone nice continental breakfast ceiling fan other guests pounding surf every morning no elevator the big island air conditioning old hawaii fresh fruit salt water pool location is amazing
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

My husband and I decided to come here for a week to celebrate our anniversary based on TA reviews, we knew it was our kind of hotel. I booked many months ago. We ended up in the one suite #305, which is spectacular for views and space. WiFi has been perfect. Service has been excellent. We came back very late one night from a trip to Mona Kea and just parked the car behind others, dropped our keys in the designated slot and it was moved by the staff when needed in the morning so.....parking is really not a big deal at all. There is a great restaurant .3 mi up the hill, Jackie Rey’s Ohana Grill. We walked there and had several excellent meals. There are good snorkeling spots a quick drive down the road... can’t say enough about how much we have loved our stay here.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Manager M, Manager at Kona Tiki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

And we loved having you stay here! So glad that Kona Tiki helped make your anniversary even more special - best wishes to you both!

Reviewed 7 May 2018

I took my mom on a vacation to the Big Island and decided to flee Hilo in search or no or less rain. The Kona Tiki Hotel was available and I was so happy with my random choice! First or all the (new) managers Karen and Ed were a pleasure to work with. If they didn't know the answer to a question, they found out.

The room overlooked the ocean and crashing of the waves. Yes it is loud but I found it mesmerizing. I tend to have difficulty sleeping and used my standard earplugs as I always do and didn't have a problem.

If you are after a place with tv and all the flash bells and whistles, this won't be for you but I would plan a trip back to the Island just to stay at this place again.

The swimming pool (saltwater) is adjacent to the lava wall and waves were crashing over it, wonderful. The blowing of the conch shell was fun (hadn't tried it before) during the celebration of sunset, another guest lit the tiki torches while I blew myself dizzy on the conch.

The breakfast was plenty and good. Parking we didn't have a hassle with. Great place to stay in Kona. Didn't break the bank either.

Room Tip: All rooms look out at the ocean! Note if stairs are difficult for you, there is no elevator so get a room on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Zaleya
Manager M, Manager at Kona Tiki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

It was such a pleasure having you stay with us at the Kona Tiki! You and your mom embodied and embraced the spirit of the place, and we are so glad you stumbled upon it ... and could enjoy it even a little longer before your flight :) Thank you so much for your review, and we do hope to see you back again someday soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

This hotel is smack dab oceanfront (no sandy beach), but you can witness a semi-tame octopus being fed from the rock wall. Most units have kitchenettes and it is a short walk to town. You don't have to stay at the Marriott to have a great time.

2  Thank luvinheart
Manager M, Manager at Kona Tiki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2018

Thank you for your review! We also have low-cost (i.e. free :) eel feedings, dolphin sightings and more. Thanks you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 2 May 2018

We stayed at the Kona Tiki for 5 nights in April and were completely satisfied. Not only did they work with us to rebook our February dates that had to be changed due to illness, but also they recommended great activities including the best Manta Ray snorkel. We left my contact lenses and a swim suit bottom at the hotel and they mailed them to us fee of cost. The views of the ocean and sound of the waves were the highlights of our ground floor room. This is not a fancy place but so close to everything in Kailua-Kona that you can walk. I would highly recommend it as a hotel to use as a base to really see and experience this area.

1  Thank deeanamc

Thank you so much for your kind review and recommendation. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you back at the Kona Tiki!

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed there for 4 nights in April. The hotel property is small and compact. The waves splashing is truly charming but very annoying when your trying to sleep. We had to keep the windows open as there is no A/C and the room smelled a bit musty. Being right next to the ocean, it's going to be damp. I don't think that carpet is the best choice for floor covering given the dampness. Once we got some ear plugs and air fresheners, we were fine. Just a side note, the bathroom must have been remodelled at some point because the toilet has been relocated and sits about 12 inches from the wall. I mention this because if you're tall, like me, you may have to sit on the toilet side-saddle "0)

The breakfast is admirable. They really work hard to make it nice. The Sun Set at the hotel is spectacular! It's located about 8-10 min walk from the action in Kona. We found walking much more convenient as Kona is very congested and parking in town is tough. The hotel parking is tight too but we had no issues with parking at the hotel (we had a mid sized car). Overall, for the price, you can beat the location and view. It is very charming once you get in the mind-set.

1  Thank Marchi2016
manager m, Manager at Kona Tiki Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Thank you for your review ... it is very true that there are pros & cons to being steps away from the ocean and Ali'i Drive! We apologize that your room was a bit musty - our housekeepers work hard to keep the rooms clean and fresh, and we will continue to work on that aspect. Thank you so much for staying with us and experiencing the Kona Tiki mindset - we are so glad you enjoyed the breakfasts, sunsets, and proximity to Kona, and we hope to see you again!