“OMG I think I've gone to Foodie Heaven”

Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill
Ranked #15 of 302 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill is a casual local's joint featuring fresh seafood, steaks, pasta and a variety of salads at affordable prices. The restaurant (named after our daughter) is the culmination of much hard work and the dedication of ourselves and our crew. We invite you to be our guests and experience great food and old fashioned hospitality, island style. Angie and Paul—Proprietors of your Local Ohana Grill. Established 2004.
Reviewed 15 June 2018

First niaccompanght in Kona and wanted a locals spot for dinner. Knew I had found the right place when saw the woodie parked out front. Didn't know how much better it was going to get after ordering. Had Ahi tartare for starters and knew we were on to something GOOD. I had seafood trio to get my seafood fix (sweet potatoe mash, veggies and Thai coconut sauce that were soo flavorful) and wife had fresh catch which both were done superbly and sent back empty plates.
Dessert was just as spectacular with warm mac nut bar w ice cream that topped off the evening.
With all these great reviews know it will be harder to get in w/o a reservation next time

Write a ReviewReviews (2,649)

Reviewed 14 June 2018

I drove down to Kona to run on Ali'i drive, and looked this up ahead of time. I sat at the bar, and the bartender Jess was friendly, helped me decide on the sangria to drink - refreshing, not too sweet. I had the seafood trio and was very happy - beautifully plated, stacked high with swirls of orange, purple and green sauces around the bottom. It was also very tasty! The jumbo shrimp were perfectly cooked, large, flavorful, the crabcake was crisp on the outside and not too dense. The fish fillet looked small, but after eating it and the above, I was full! The sweet potato mash was maybe a little too sweet for me, but really good. And the roasted veggies in the stack were excellent. I would definitely go back - great service and great food.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

We came because of the reviews. But we didn't get as we expected. We have to wait for our food for a bit too long. The service!! He keep forgetting my water... I ask for several times till he remembers:( the foods.. were not bad quality were good, quantity were big but taste were too sweet! Both plants...

1  Thank DrBooska H
Reviewed 13 June 2018

We were looking for a place for dinner & picked Jackie Rey's, very nice find. While the number of selections on the official menu is limited it is supplemented with a number of specials and each selection that we tried was outstanding. I had the Seared Wasabi Ahi and the mix of flavors was wonderful, little tastes of wasabi exciting the taste buds. My wife had the Seafood Trio which she said was "fantastic", I guess so fantastic that she didn't want to share much :-( My daughter had the Surf & Turf, which Hawaiian style has shrimp instead of lobster, and she thoroughly enjoyed that as well. We finished off with the Coconut Macadamia Nut Bar (something like that) which had a good cookie topped with ice cream and whipped cream. Since my daughter isn't a fan of chocolate we had that on the side, we all had a few bites & couldn't finish the whole thing.

A very nice meal in a relaxed environment. Check it out while you are here.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

My family and I have been to Jackie Rey’s in the past and remembered liking it so we decided to eat there again this trip. I am so glad we did.
There were a few options on the menu that looked good to me but I finally decided on a special they had that was a Pan fried fish with an olive tapenade and polenta.
It was my most enjoyable dinner I’ve had on this trip. I also tasted the ribs that were tasty and fall off the bone tender, and some of the seafood trio which was delightful.
The bread on the appetizer menu wasn’t my favorite, it had a harder crust which I don’t like as much, but the butter was great. I also didn’t like that the bread was an additional cost, I wish it was included for the table at no cost.
The restaurant has a nice ambiance, but it is open air, so it is depenandant on the weather. I was a little muggy a couple times during dinner.
The quality of the food was of the highest caliber I’ve had on the island, so this would be a strong recommendation every time.