“Loved the location, service, and royal treatment”

Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My husband and I had our 5th or 6th visit to New Orleans recently (who's counting, anyway), however it was our first time at this hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed the stay and were treated with all the Southern hospitality New Orleans is known for. Though we have stayed at other hotels in the past in New Orleans, we decided to let our military base choose for us this time. Having a voucher for a discount was the furthest thing from our mind when we checked in. We felt like an old friend of the staff and an honored guest of the valets. This hotel is close to everything!
We asked for a quiet room because I had read on Trip Advisor that the street rooms were a bit noisy (it is New Orleans, after all), so we asked for one and got a nice room overlooking the courtyard. Nice and quiet. We will definitely be back to The Bourbon Orleans again...voucher or not!
A word of warning though! If you like to take baths, you need to learn to shower. There are no baths in any of the rooms and the showers are European (they have no doors or curtains.) It was a little awkward for this bathing gal, but no problem to get used to.

Room Tip: ASK for what you want. If it is available, I am sure they will accommodate. PS. Don't forget...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mema59
Write a ReviewReviews (6,366)

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Perfect location and fabulous service. The rooms are lovely--feel very "New Orleans"....and our room looked down over the pool and courtyard. Just lovely. Only reason I did not give it a 5 is because the rooms are a tiny bit small and our clock did not work. The staff was absolutely amazing and the concierge was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room. Quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Please humor me, while I share my recent experience with this outstanding property. I stayed at the Bourbon Orleans with my wife, who has never visited New Orleans, from Memorial Day, Monday--5/28/12--through Saturday, 6/2/12. I graduated Tulane University in 1977, but I have not been back to New Orleans since 2002.

I really wanted to make this trip special for my wife, and I started by narrowing my search down to four or five top hotels in the French Quarter. Of them all, the Bourbon Orleans seemed most alluring mostly because of its location, however, there were tremendously conflicting reviews being written about it, pretty much simultaneously. This seemed particularly pronounced while the hotel was being renovated—through March, and into April, 2012.

When I noticed that Laurie Guidry, Bourbon Orleans sales manager, had provided her email address to someone who had complained about their trip in Trip Advisor reviews, I decided to reach out to her directly with my concerns. Laurie reached out to me immediately and totally assuaged my fears during our multiple email correspondences. Although we had been offered outstanding accommodations in several hotels, we decide to take our chances, and we proceeded to book a bi-level suite at the Bourbon Orleans, on the Orleans Street side of the hotel, with a view from the balcony towards Royal Street and the St. Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square.

When I reflect on all of the suggestions, help, and stellar service Laurie provided, I truly feel that she went not only out of her way, but that she went beyond the call of duty! We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 in the morning, and we expected to leave our luggage with the bell staff until check in time. It turned out that our room was already ready, and we were welcomed to check in early. I had order two bouquets of Fleurs de Lis to be delivered to our room by a local florist, and not only had they been delivered, they were already unwrapped and awaiting us in our room! This was a very nice touch. I will not go into all of the details of the other ways in which Laurie helped make our trip so outstanding, but it should suffice to say that any request was met with great service and a smile.

From the door staff, to the bell staff (kudos to Caleb, who was outstanding!), to the front desk staff, to the housekeeping staff, all I can say is five stars! Even Chris, the night manager, got involved and helped us when we were trying to track down the same type of wine to purchase which had originally been placed as a welcome lagniappe in our room. Thank you Chris!

As for housekeeping, each day they replaced the water in our arrangements, provided turn down service at night, and kept all of the amenities stocked without requesting it. My wife and I are always certain to leave a daily tip for housekeeping with a short thank you note. This practice, as a token of appreciation for a job well done is acknowledged in turn by the extra care that housekeeping extends. I am not saying that service should be based on tipping, however “insuring proper service” by means of a small gift and thank you, always seems to go a long way.

The accommodations themselves were top notch. The room had been completely renovated, there were two flat screen T.V.s we really didn’t watch, we loved the bi level, and the balcony was truly a treat! We enjoyed the balcony each morning while we drank our coffee with chickory and ate biegnets from Café Du Monde, and we revisited it each evening before setting out for dinner. Room 305 was located perfectly, three doors away from the elevator. We never noticed any noise issues whatsoever, however, being from New York, and living on the fifth floor of a building overlooking 23rd Street, we use earplugs anyway!

Choosing the Bourbon Orleans was definitely the right decision for us, and we wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else in New Orleans. The combination of location, accommodations, and SERVICE, cannot be equaled and should be the envy of every high end hotel in the Vieux Carre!
Don't hesitate to book at the Bourbon Orleans, and enjoy your stay!

For those that are interested, here is a link to a google map and itinerary we created: http://goo.gl/maps/GEKy

Room Tip: Call and discuss your needs!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert H
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you do much for your amazing review of the Bourbon Orleans Hotel! We enjoyed having you and you lovely wife as our guest as much as you enjoyed staying. I am thrilled the trip was a magical experience for you both. We look forward to seeing you in April of next year!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I can't imagine staying anywhere else. We go to the Quarter every few months and The Bourbon is the only place we'll stay. The staff is friendly,kind, and will go the extra mile for their guests.(Caleb and Lewis are topnotch) From those that work in environmental services to the managers, there exudes a genuine hospitality from the moment you arrive. Newly renovated rooms are spacious,comfortable and spotless. The heated,salt water pool is a welcome relief after a day of walking. On our most recent visit,we stayed an additional day and had a King poolside room...definitely the way to go. My opening statement really says it all.

Room Tip: Try the King poolside rooms,you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Barbara J
Reviewed 5 June 2012

After reading the reviews about slow lifts and noisy rooms. I have to say that the staff showed us the service lift for quick access to the top level. We were asked at check-in what typr of room did we want and we toook the courtyard view of the pool. It was quiet peaceful and relaxing. We walked into the foyer of the hotel and went WOW how nice is this. we had just driven from mephis and we were hot and bothered. It was decorated in the french historic atmosphere. A great experience at a great hotel with exceptional staff. Will give a big wrap to Rick, he helped us with the valet the bags and general information on the area. Very friendly and very helpful. good snse of humour and loved us Aussies ( who could blame him?) A great experince and except for Friday and saturday nights not that expensive. Weekend breakfast brilliant.

Room Tip: Great location and exceptional staff
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple