“Great Hospitality and Food”

New Orleans Creole Cookery
Reserve with OpenTable
New Orleans Creole Cookery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 2,143 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Reviewed 24 February 2018

I was told the difference between a good resturant besides the food, is being treated as old friends not as customers. We were lured into this place by a greeter that charmed us into the place. Once in, the service was as if were old customers. In New Orleans all the resturants serve great food. Same here. The oysters were great. We also had the crab cakes; great!.

Date of visit: February 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

We went to the cookery after it being recommended by family and we weren’t disappointed! The court yard was pretty and well maintained, not too loud noise wise either. The service our first time was decent, but the second time for happy hour we weren’t impressed. It took a long time to get someone to come get our drink orders, then I didn’t get my drink until we were almost finished with our food. The bar tender had to yell at 2 other employees to stop talking and standing around and help him clean the tables and bar top off to seat more guests. They seemed adequately staffed, but most staff seemed occupied with private conversations amongst themselves. The chargrilled oysters were outstanding! They were one of the best things we had our entire 5 day trip. We’d go back based on the oysters and the good happy hour specials they had.

1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

Our group of 10 chose this place out of all the places in New Orleans to eat. Of course they can’t take more than 2 cards per table which was ok, collectively our bill was $420. the group pulled $359 in cash and asked our waiter Mexus to split the remaining. Between 2 cards that should have totaled $30.50 per card. The next day we noticed our card was charged $359.00 and the other card was charged $50. We walked to the restaurant to ask if there could be something done, but of course a nothing. Additionally all while we were trying to figure this out, Solomon the fearless manager went to hide behind around the corner and the waiter Mexus would not even come out to talk to us. This means Mexus the waiter pocketed the $359 cash and the manager Solomon let it happen. So, learn from us. This is another typical place to scam tourists trying to have a good time.

5  Thank Audrey K
Reviewed 18 February 2018

The New Orleans Creole Cookery was my first experience in the city. I arrived after a couple of days of driving from Ontario, Canada for a book signing. I'd started to feel nervous about my trip because of the sketchy hotel stay of the night before. When I came into town, I felt nervous and this feeling was magnified by the Mardis Gras crowd. I suspect I might have a touch of social anxiety.

My anxiety only multiplied when I parked the car and walked over to the restaurant. Like I said, my hotel had left me feeling unsafe and given this was the early part of my trip, I felt intimidated. Early on, I felt like I wanted to bolt out of the place and hole up in my hotel. My wonderful server, Glenn W. helped to change this. He was so friendly and helpful. I shared a few of my nervous concerns (I knew they were unreasonable) and he made me feel at home. He told me about how he'd felt the same anxiousness when he'd first moved to New Orleans and about his experience meeting one of my favorite authors, Anne Rice! He helped with the menu and my Groupon. I didn't realize but when you buy a Groupon you need to spend the full value, and mine was for $60!

Glenn was very knowledgeable about the gluten-free items and was friendly and empathetic. Top-notch service, this restaurant's resident gem! I ordered the crab cake appetizer he recommended, the Steamed Snow Crab dinner, and a huge plate of Red Beans and Rice. The value was phenomenal. In Canada, I've never received so much food for the price. And the taste! The crab was out of this world. I couldn't eat more than one spoon of the beans, rice and sausage, but Glenn wrapped it up and I made dinner out of it at the hotel the next night. And the crab cake appie was so delicious; I told him it was impossible to believe it was gluten free!

The food here is so delicious. A wonderful local taste and fabulous value for your money. The atmosphere was cozy and once I relaxed, I really enjoyed my dinner here.

If I ever visit New Orleans in the future, The Creole Cookery is a MUST! I'll just hope that Glenn is working that night!

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

We went in a busy night so we waited for a while to be served. But overall the service was great, and the food... AMAZING! For starters we had Napoleon crab cakes and oyster trology. The oysters are very good, full of flavors. At the end, the oyster itself is not even important. The sauce, spice and flavors on top of the oysters are just tantalizing. 3 flavors. For main dishes, we had blackened redfish and fried catfish with jambalaya. The blackened redfish is the highlight. It is seared and has the grilled flavor. The bed of the fish is three kinds of potatos, different colors, as well as green beans. Every single thing tastes good in the plate! The fried catfish was extremly soft. Normally I dont like deel fried food as I find the breaded part is too much and the food loses its original taste. But the catfish is soft, tasty and the fry didnt over kill the flavor or the texture. It went better even with the jambalaya. We had a bottle of riesling with the food. I felt very content with the meal and highly recommend the place.