“I thought it was very cheesy and seriously almost bailed half way through.”

Haunted History Tours of New Orleans
Ranked #68 of 239 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: These tours will take you through New Orleans' freaky past, from voodoo to ghosts, all with an offbeat, theatrical presentation that makes it fun.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I have done these “ghost tours” in Seattle and Edinburg and thought they were really fun. So why not try it again in New Orleans, right? Well, with the other tours we’ve been on, the guides presented the tour with allot of tongue-in-cheek humor. Telling stories and tales but with a bit of fun tossed in. Everyone is happier if you’re laughing some of the time. This was not the case with Haunted History Tours. Right from the start our guide tried to make the walk actually scary. At least I think he was trying to make it scary? He recited stories in sometimes mind numbing detail about horrific actions of murder and killings using a deep crackling voice that never changed in tone. I still don’t know if that voice was real or made up? But in any case, it was hard to take this stuff very serious with all the sights and sounds of the French Quarter from which we were walking through. Much of the tour was still during daylight hours and it just became more of the same drawn out stories of atrocities. About half way through we stopped at the oldest operating bar in town for bathroom breaks and to get a drink if you desired… on your dime of course. I fought my way to the bar for a couple of drinks and my wife and I parked ourselves on a bench outside. Soon it was time to meet back up for the rest of the tour and we very seriously thought about just disappearing into the night. But another couple we were with talked us into continuing on. We finally got back and I was never so glad to be done with something. Seriously consider doing something else with your time and money.

hauntedhistorytours, General Manager at Haunted History Tours of New Orleans, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Our city's history is very gruesome and the stories on the tour are real as is Jack's voice. So sorry you didn't enjoy the tour. And of course we don't buy your drinks for you. Seriously?

Write a ReviewReviews (2,911)
All reviews
"tour group"
in 37 reviews
"hour tour"
in 59 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 50 reviews
"lafayette cemetery"
in 50 reviews
"ernie"
in 148 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It was hot, but Andrew warned us and we were well-stocked with water. Andrew is a highly intelligent, knowledgeable tour guide. I learned a lot.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

PAUL WAS AWESOME!!! DEFINITELY RECCOMEND. 25$ AT THE DOOR JUST OUTSIDE ST PETERS PUB. Is not corny at all, its actually filled with history and a couple of really well told ghost stories.

1  Thank Varun K
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My boyfriend and I went on the French Quarter ghost tour and had a fantastic time. I've been on several ghost tours in different locations (Salem, Alexandria, DC, Cape May, Gettysburg, and New Orleans through a different company) and this was by far my favorite. It's all about the guide, and Jack was great. He knows his stuff, does his own research, and clearly loves his job. We were both capitvated - and my boyfriend isn't even a fan of ghost tours.

This tour is heavy on the history, which is my personal preference. It's also long walk, so definitely wear comfortable shoes! And try to go on a weeknight, preferably at a time when there aren't any big events going on in the quarter. The tour visits some popular spots, and sometimes it can get loud. Otherwise, we had no complaints! I'll be recommending Haunted History (and Jack!) to friends and family planning trips of their own.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had so much fun!! We chose the 5-in-1. I'm not a huge history buff. But I'm also not really into jump scares. So this was the perfect tour for us! The whole experience was very family friendly as well. Half way through, we did stop at a bar, but there's an outdoor section in the back that we were able to take our son in. The true stories that are believed to haunt New Orleans that they use are so entertaining! I definitely recommend doing this tour. This is a 2 hour tour and while you don't walk very far, if you don't like being on your feet, this probably isn't for you.