“Take it from a long time local...”

Mona's Cafe & Deli on Frenchman
Ranked #214 of 1,948 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Delivery
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Nola
“Take it from a long time local...”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I have been coming here for over a decade now. I eat there fairly regulary. When I lived on Frenchmen street, I would have them deliver to me 5 blocks down all the time.

The atmosphere is relaxed, the decor is mild. Plenty of unique pictures to occupy your time while you wait. I have not once had a bad service experience in all of my years as a patron. They do seem to have a fairly high turn over for servers though, so I don't get recognized when I enter like I might at some of my other hot spots.

The only other problem is their pitas are not made in house. They get it delivered twice a week. I did go in there one time in all these years,and was served pita I didn't feel was usable.

My 7 year old son likes to eat here. Top that veggie lover eateries! :)

I always get the appetizer sampler (awesome hummas, babaganush, and kibby, etc.!)and the chicken schwarma/gyro plate. I have tried other things. I am a picky eater. It is not uncommon for me to pick a few things and always get the same items.That is enough food to feed myself, my husband, and our son, with some to snack on at home later. With tip, we spend between $35-$40. Amazing.

• Visited March 2012

Mobile, AL
“Best stuffed grapes leaves that I ever ate”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My son and I were in New Orleans for the Final Four, We walked over to Frenchmen Street just to see what the flap was about. While I was disappointed in the street as a whole, Mona's was great. The grape leaves were fantastic, the best. The service and atmosphere were good also, but did I mention the grape leaves?

Visited April 2012
“Great middle eastern food”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Combination deli and middle-eastern store. We are vegetarians and had excellent food - all the food was excellently prepared, fresh and very tasty. Very casual setting. Waitress (Lea?) was superb. Very highly recommended.

• Visited March 2012
San Francisco, California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Went there in 2009 and thought the gyros were fantastic. Went there 2012 and had a dry, sauce-less chicken shawarma. The falafels are good still. The price is right if you can find something good...

Visited February 2012
Everywhere
“Fresh”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This is another place I miss in New Orleans. So when I come back I have to eat here. I love their grape leaves and chicken dishes. It's very filling. One of my favs.

• Visited April 2011