“Yummy food, and great service!”

Jack Dempsey's Restaurant
Ranked #299 of 2,144 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ninth Ward
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 1 December 2017

We were staying just down the street from here. They have really great food. I had the soft shell crab po boy. Amazing. Our server was lovely. Fast efficient service.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed 27 November 2017

This is a great fresh sea food restaurant in New Orleans. The building is not bright and shinny but as a family owned restaurant the food is fresh and cooked to perfection with great service. Locals eat here mostly. Would recommend it to anyone.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank Rob W
Reviewed 26 November 2017

We grew up in New Orleans. When we come back home to the Bywater, we go to Jack Dempsey. It is a neighborhood restaurant. We ordered onion rings and JD seafood platter. The onion rings are good. The JD platter came with 2 Gumbos. Gumbo had plenty of seafood. The seafood platter had catfish, shrimp, oysters, crab ball & crawfish pies. Mac and cheese is a definite side order and amazing.

Date of visit: November 2017
2  Thank unocpa
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Jack Dempsey's is the quintessential hole-in the wall! Funky atmosphere in an old house that has outstanding food with wonderful staff. My wife and I started with some of the best seafood gumbo we've ever had. A thick, dark roux with plenty of seafood. We then split a seafood platter full of catfish, shrimp, oysters, crawfish pie and crab ball...all perfectly cooked (the crab ball was the best I've had anywhere). We also ordered the mac n cheese...OH MY! We ordered a second one to take home with our leftovers! The only reason I don't want to recommend this place is I don't want to fight the crowds to get inside.

Date of visit: September 2017
3  Thank TigrGrad86
Reviewed 8 August 2017

I don't want people to find out about this restaurant! I wish I could remember our servers name, but my husband and I wanted to take her home with us so we could just listen to her talk! She was awesome. The food was fantastic. There were no complaints from anyone at the table. I ordered mac and cheese with my meal... seriously, isn't all mac and cheese the same? Um, no... I don't know what they put in theirs, but I could have had seconds of that! We are planning our return trip to New Orleans, just so we can come back!

Date of visit: August 2017