“Excellent fresh, fried seafood, large portions, yummy!”

Jack Dempsey's Restaurant
Ranked #336 of 2,104 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Faubourg Marigny & Bywater
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 25 April 2016

Yes, it is an old house and looks like a hole in the wall, it is, but well worth the trip. Every time I go to Nawlins I surpass the fancy and expensive places to have a wonderful gastronomic experience here. Usually I have guests and this time there were three, two from Texas and one from Florida.

We all agreed that the portions are HUGE, two people can share one plate, really.... The half order of onion rings is enough for 4 as an appetizer, they will even split the cost on everyone's bill, so convenient! The batter is thin and the rings are real onions, a LITTLE spice, but then again I like real spicy.

I always have the soft shell crab, I get the Poboy and leave it naked (Not dressed) and get a side of the Mac and Cheese. I love everything I have ever had, and as I said the plates were overflowing so everyone shares everything.

All seafood is very fresh, and you have to love it fried. The drinks are great too, they are generous with the pour.

I go to Jack Dempseys every chance I get!

Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

Came to Louisiana with friends for a vacation. Decided to come here for dinner, the platter we ordered that feeds two, can actually feed 4 or 5. The food was very good. Well worth your money.

Reviewed 15 April 2016

We ordered fried fish and shrimp, everything was fresh ,service was good, taste? nothing above average, everyone agreed.

Reviewed 8 March 2016

If I was on death row, I would pick the broiled redfish with crab au gratin with a side of the seafood platter as my last meal. The food is great, the neighborhood is gentrified, and best of all, it has its own well-lit parking lot, something you definitely will NOT find in a French Quarter restaurant. Try the crawfish pie appetizer and crab au gratin appetizer. The seafood platter is enormous and everything cooked to perfection, and if you're not quite as hungry, I recommend the shrimp poboy. Sides we tried included fries, onion rings, mustard potato salad, and baked mac and cheese, all homemade. Beer came in a frosty mug. The staff is family, the owners were the hostess and bartender, and everyone who works there was New Orleans friendly. If you want great seafood, a friendly environment, and a safe place in the city to enjoy a true, down home New Orleans experience, you have to come to Jack Dempsey's.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

Jack Dempsey's is a good restaurant. The food and service are very well, and I only wish it had better parking and access via a car. I have not looked too carefully while I was there today, and I had come on a bus, so in fact I had no way of my own to check the parking.

Been to Jack Dempsey's Restaurant? Share your experiences!