“Traditional Cajun Cooking a bit overpriced”
Review of Bon Ton Cafe

Bon Ton Cafe
Ranked #71 of 1,980 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The food here was pretty good, but focused heavily on fried fish and heavy sauces. I was disappointed that the "Red Fish Bon Ton" and the "Red Fish Anzila", two of the signature dishes, were not made with red snapper but with black drum. The waitress said it waa similar to red snapper, but it was not. Then call the dish "Black Fish". I was alos surprised at how wxpensive the meal was given that you are eating in what is essentially an old warehouse and you can find the same plates pretty much everywhere in New Orleans. I am not sure if I will go back. You can find the same thing for less money in N.O.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We ate here two days after Mardi Gras and the restaurant was still jam packed. This restaurant is about the food. It's the oldest cajun, creole restaurant in New Orleans. The redfish and crawfish were outstanding. Limited wine list and prepare yourself for a loud restaurant. Overall very good.

2  Thank iamstoked22
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Bon Ton Cafe is a must when we travel to New Orleans. The food is mostly Southern cooking and the wait staff very efficient. The menu features oysters, shrimp, crawfish, fresh gulf fish, steaks and chicken. All menu offerings can be prepared in a healthy way i.e. broiled, not fried. The room itself is charming. Lunchtime is very crowded with well-dressed local business people. We ate lunch there twice and dinner once. I had lunch by myself once and never felt out of place and was treated with great courtesy. The gracious hostess even loaned me an umbrella to get back to my hotel in the pouring rain. What we ate: turtle soup with sherry - a little lighter than Commander's Palace version, but I like Bon Ton's better. Steak salad with partially grilled romaine and a sliced filet on top. Roast chicken with delicious mashed potatoes. Broiled gulf fish with lemon butter sauce. Beef fillet with a mushroom cabernet wine sauce. Everything was perfectly cooked and delicious. And even though many people don't care for lima beans, they were the best I ever ate! Give Bon Ton a try.

2  Thank tierradeluz
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My wife and left at daylight so that we could drive to New Orleans and arrive in time for lunch at the Bon Ton. Only open weekdays, this is a restaurant serving classic cajun dishes. From Crawfish Etoffee to grilled fish with crawfish or red beans and rice, you can't go wrong. The waitresses are efficient and appear to be the same ones that were there the first time I ate there twenty years ago. I have always gone at lunch but if they were open only at night I would pass up another of my favorites to go here.

2  Thank Jimbob44
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My husband, teenage son, and I ate here Feb. 2, 2012. The service was every bit as wonderful as everyone reports, but we don't understand the fuss about the food or atmosphere. As to the atmosphere, this is not cozy. The tables are close and there are numerous large tables. It wasn't so loud when we were there, but this is not an intimate experience. For the food, the gumbo was good, but none of the ingredients were discernible and it was a bit over salted. My son's turtle soup was fresh and workable but nothing to write home about. Overall, like everything, it didn't have much flavor. My crawfish and shrimp etouffe was fresh and buttery but overall not very flavorful. The same could be said for my son's crawfish jambalaya, and my husband's fried catfish in alvina's sauce was also fresh and good but overall the flavor was understated. The bread pudding was delicious but the whiskey sauce was overwhelming.

2  Thank AndieKBoston