“Fantastic local food!”

Ranked #916 of 2,102 Restaurants in New Orleans
Neighbourhood: Ninth Ward
Neighbourhood: Ninth Ward
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I ate here one morning with my girlfriend while we were sightseeing in the Lower Ninth Ward, one of the New Orleans neighborhoods that was devastated by Katrina. Though the neighborhood has recovered somewhat, the problem remains that there really aren't many services there, including restaurants. One of the only open restaurants in the Lower Ninth is Cajun Joe's, a take-out-only, counter-serve seafood and sandwich shop on Claiborne Avenue. Even though we were there at a weird time, 10:30 AM, it was busy, with people coming in and out the whole time we were waiting for out food and eating in the parking lot.

My girlfriend ordered ordered the sweet and sour shrimp platter. It was great! The shrimp were perfectly cooked, enough to brown the batter, but not enough so they wouldn't be tender and juicy. I ordered the spicy boudin poboy, and mine was awesome as well! They made the poboy on Leidenheimer bread, which is widely considered the best poboy bread in New Orleans. The boudin was spicy, and the other ingredients didn't overpower it. It was an excellent sandwich, and I can see why this place gets such good business in the Lower Ninth.

If you are sightseeing or driving through the area and are hungry, this is a great option for getting something delicious and local. I strongly recommend it!

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

Checked this place out while in the 9th Ward after passing by it. Looked at the reviews and gave it a shot. Had the Shrimp Po Boy, it was okay. I don't eat a lot of them so I don't have a basis to compare it to. I will say that I was full of shrimp and filled me up.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

We ended up here as part of a tour, and I was wowed by the sheer deliciousness of the sandwich that came my way. It's a simple counter with a variety of options available, takeaway is pretty much the only way to go.

I had a few more in various places over the next days, but found myself dreaming of this place and the associated deliciousness.

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Absolutely huge po-boy sandwiches! We had the shrimp and the roast beef po-boys and were not able to finish either one. Only critique was the mayonnaise was too heavy, but that seems to be true for a lot of the po-boys in the area. The bread was perfect, soft with a little bit of a crust. Walk up only - no place to sit and eat, order at the counter.

Reviewed 23 July 2015 via mobile

We stopped here during the middle of our Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tour (which by the way was great.). Cajuns Joe's had one if the best Shrimp Po Boys I've ever had and I've eaten a lot of them. I wasn't all that hungry when I started eating but the sandwich was do good I couldn't stop. We also had a sausage sandwich that was just as tasty. Do yourself a favor and swing by here for great food.