“Best local food at a great price eating with locals”
Review of Mandina's

Mandina's
Ranked #137 of 2,144 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Italian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Closed due to damage sustained in Hurricane Katrina.
Reviewed 26 August 2017

I have been going to mandina's since I was in high school. The food has always been fabulous. It is an easy streetcar away from the French quarter! The grilled shrimp Poboys and seafood gumbo are phenomenal.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

Every once in awhile, we realize we haven't been to Mandina;s lately, and nearly immediately rectify that mistake. Mandena's is thought of as a neighborhood place, more Italian than anything else. Yet it serves Creole favorites, too, and does it well. I used to live in New Orleans 50 years ago, taught at Beaurogard School. My students talked about the place all the time. I didn't even know where it was. But there it is, still down the street on Canal. It was hit hard by Katrina, and I heard a long time passed before they could reopen. I notice the waitstaff is more diversified now. That's a very good thing. The food remains the same: simply good. Nothing fancy comes out of the kitchen, They don't try to be fancy. Here, business lunches take place, Couples frequent the tables more in the evening. 4 tops linger over conversation. I guess it IS a neighborhood place. Yet, I also notice that hotels recommend the food for that very reason. I've never had, nor ever heard of anyone a meal that was a disappointment. I love the place, and am so glad it reopened. Fun to bring guests, too. /see how many of the musicians' pictures on the wall they can recognize.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Food is great.. they fill your plate with more food than you can eat. So much to choose from everything we tried was wonderful!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

If you are looking for fresh, fresh seafood with an atmosphere filled with local characters, this is the place to go. Fried soft shell crab - yum! Messy (the best kind) poboys - yum! Monday's red bean and rice - yum! You won't find cliche-style New Orleans stereotypes here. You will find real New Orleanians doing what they do best..socializing over great food.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

Visited on a Sunday night, which was moderately busy, but no line waiting to get in.
Food was as expected - good, not really exceptional, but worth a visit to this neighborhood favorite.
The service left much to be desired. It seemed that the server lacked experience, as he left us alone for long stretches - as much as twenty minutes at a time. As a result we were forced to wait quite awhile to get a cocktail, then had to go without the opportunity to order a "second round"....little things like that, but a number of them....enough to affect our enjoyment of the meal.
Hate to suggest that you not visit it and make your own decision - perhaps it was simply an off night - but there are too many very good spots in New Orleans for Mandina's not to offer excellent service.

1  Thank Bluffton

Been to Mandina's? Share your experiences!