“Best Soft Shell Crab !”
Review of Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace
Ranked #41 of 2,124 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$30 - US$80
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Garden District
Reviewed 1 September 2016

The place is known for being pretentious requiring Men to either have jackets or buttoned shirt which is nice to see; though they close their restaurants at 10 PM their last seating is 9 PM; service is excellent ; wine selection needs variation and perhaps needs better storage ; ordered a pinot in the 60+ $ range - came back tasting "vinegary" , initially my taste was questioned, fortunately they allowed us to order another wine; their soft shell crab was excellent as was their house creme brûlée ; their carbonara could use improvement- the sauce drowned out the seafood; service was superb!

1  Thank saffronsantorini
Write a ReviewReviews (8,467)

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

On the many trips we've taken to New Orleans we've wanted to eat at Commander's Palace but for one reason or another it never happened. Finally, we planned it out well and were able to make it this visit for the Saturday 3 course brunch. You want to make reservations because it appears to get crowded and no shorts allowed. Business casual attire seems to be preferred collared shirt and long paints for men - coat and tie optional. For women it's a little more causal - any dress or pant outfit would work. I didn't see anyone wearing jeans or tennis shoes.

From the moment we walked in we were greeted right away and taken to our table. As we walked through the restaurant we were again greeted warmly by almost every employee we walked by. It was very nice. Kind of made you feel special - awe. On a side note - valet parking is available otherwise you need to find street parking. (I say just valet it's fast and easy.) We were seated in what looked like an atrium room with 2 very old tall trees from which I was told were deemed by some historical society they were so old they couldn't ever be chopped down so there they were. Interesting. They also had a band floating around the dining hall playing old tunes on request. Very southern.

We both ordered the tomato plate for the first course, which was really good, and for our second course we had the prime rib with poached egg and some amazing horseradish potatoes. For the third course we ordered the pecan pie and the bread pudding. The pecan pie was good and the bread pudding was very good except that it had a little too much liquor in the sauce otherwise it would have been perfect. All the same I ate the whole thing lol. And of course I had to get a couple of mimosas, it's brunch!!

The service was excellent - I've heard they are known for it and I could see why. Also, I noticed in the ladies room they provide a stock pile of free lady products just in case you're in need. Someone was thinking about the ladies - thank you. No wonder they've been around for so long. The only downfall of the meal was that it took a little while to get our 1st and 2nd course. We had to ask about our 2nd course but once we did it came out right away. Needless to say I would definitely come back again, the food was delicious and the whole experience was excellent.

Reviewed 1 September 2016

This was a very nice experience. It was about 100 degrees the day my friend and I went for lunch (made reservations one month in advance), and we stressed about what to wear because of the dress code. We both wore skirts and nice tops, and although we saw one lady in a nice top and capris, she was the exception - most wore pants or skirts. Some men were in suits but many were in button down shirt and slacks and one was wearing jeans and an untucked shirt so I was a little surprised he'd been "accepted."

The service was impeccable as expected. My three gumbo taster appetizer was delicious. The shrimp potage soup of the day was spectacular, as were the gumbo and turtle soup. My fish was excellent. Blueberry shortcake - which I said should be called biscake since it's a perfect cross between a perfectly light biscuit and shortcake - was fantastic. The only disappointment (hence the 4.5 rating instead of 5) was the crab and heirloom tomato salad that my friend had as a main course. She owns a restaurant and said the dish, which consisted of about half a pound of shredded crab crab on top of a very small amount of lettuce and grape tomatoes, was unimaginative and not much of a salad for $24. I could see her point. All in all, it was a great experience after being in New Orleans about 20 times and always being curious about the restaurant.

1  Thank Podie
Reviewed 31 August 2016

I showed up for lunch not dinner with a pair of Tommy Bahama golf shorts cut to my knee and a nice colored golf shirt and they would not seat me because of a dress code of no shorts. I can almost understand this policy for dinner but not lunch. Also a young girl in front of us went in in a pair of ripped blue jean overalls that were shorter than my pants and I was told it was a jump suit not shorts. Maybe with the weather so hot and humid they could have have a dining area more suitable for the comfortable attire most tourist were wearing. I think in the 5 minutes I was there 3 men were turned away for the same reason. A stupid policy with no way to satisfy a guest. Even an outside table somewhere in the garden would be fine

4  Thank HMCHUGH430
Sam F, Public Relations Manager at Commander's Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2016

Dear HMCHUGH430:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Commander's Palace. I'm so sorry that you were unable to dine with us that day. And I understand your frustration that it seemed that other guests were not dresses as nicely as you.

We have had this problem in the past and we always understand why it frustrates people. We will forward your comments on to our front door staff to address the issue of the jumper. It seems fashion trends are always keeping us on our toes! But thank you for bringing that issue to our attention.

If you would like to give us another try, please let me know and I will make the reservation for you.

Samantha Fritz, Communications
sam@commanderspalace.com

Reviewed 31 August 2016

My husband and I were so looking forward to revisiting CP -- our last visit was 11 years ago. We booked for Sunday brunch and headed out. Our first clue that all was not well was the garlic bread -- what was once hot and fresh, dripping with savory butter was now stale and crunchy and flavorless, delivered by a snooty bus boy who told me to "take a piece" rudely before setting it down on our table -- a very bad start ...
It didn't get any better from there -- soggy warm salad, eggs benni that were overpowered by mounds of fatty pork on top of a disintegrated biscuit (at least I think that's what it was) and the worst pecan pie that I have ever had -- gummy and lukewarm, tough as nails pie crust and clearly warmed in the microwave -- I'm sure that it came from a supermarket, it was that bad. Perhaps CP you should take some of the investment off the floor (there were staff coming out the ying yang) and put it back on the plate. And ... to just top it off, they clearly wanted the table back as we were in and out in an hour -- so sad, we won't be back.

1  Thank kerryharrismail

Dear kerryharrissmail:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about Commander's Palace. We are surely very sorry to read your comments about the food. I will pass this on to our culinary team so they can take a closer look at the items you mentioned.

We strive to serve the best Haute Creole dishes in New Orleans every day but it sounds like we really dropped the ball with your table. We will certainly do our best to make sure that this experience is not duplicated.

If you would like to share any further details with us about your visit, please email me at sam (at) commanderspalace (dot) com

Samantha Cusimano, Communications