“An dining experience”
Review of Irene's Cuisine

Irene's Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Irene's Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: French, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Reviewed 12 November 2017

This was an experience from start to finish. First, we arrived at 5:15 pm, because from all the reviews we believed that if we didn't have a reservation, it's best to get there right at opening. Turns out, on a Wednesday night, we would have been okay even if we had showed up a bit later. Nevertheless, we waited with half a dozen others for the doors to open, and when they did, we were greeted by the entire wait staff! There they were, standing in a row with smiles on their faces. It was such a warm greeting and really set the tone for the meal. My friend and I ordered five different appetizers and shared them all. They were all excellent! The stand outs were the mushroom bisque, lasagna and crabmeat gratin. Amazing! When we finished one of the best meals of our lives, we were escorted out by another smiling face who held the door open for us as we left. Wonderful.

What really gets me about this place was how welcome we felt. It was our first time there, but we were greeted like family. The waiter engaged us in interesting conversation and made some great suggestions from the menu, like the lasagna. Also, it's not like we were ordering the most expensive dishes on the menu and a bottle of their best wine. No. We got appetizers and a coke. We were definitely a small ticket table, but we were treated with such grace. I remember this place called Calzone's in Little Italy in SF, near where I live. I went there one night with my friend when we were 19 years old and broke. We ordered water and shared the cheesy garlic bread between the two of us and that was all we ordered. Still, Calzone's treated us like we had ordered the most expensive items on the menu. I always remembered that treatment, and that's why now as a 39-year-old when I have more than a few coins to rub together I come back to Calzone's time and again. I hope to do the same with Irene's for the next 20 years too. Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Ok, everyone makes the plan to have one "really good" dinner every trip. Usually that means really expensive. Well, this is a good place to have that dinner. It is expensive, but they have the food to back it up, and that is saying a lot when you are talking about a city where food is one of the main attractions. This place does have a little Cajun flair to the cuisine, but it is primarily an Italian restaurant. Although, we did enjoy escargot, duck, and lamb chops. So maybe Italian is not really the style I'm thinking of. In any case, if you are trying to find a nice place to take your special lady, this will do nicely. It is in the French Quarter, so it has that peculiar mix of eclectic style and rambling architecture that is common to many places there. The staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and welcoming. The server made suggestions that enhanced our dining experience rather than try to push the most expensive dishes. Everyone at the table enjoyed themselves.

My wife took pictures. I'll have to add some later

1  Thank Bryantblackwelder
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Plentiful and delicious food in an old timey restaurant. Been here often and am always pleased by the food, wine and service. Be sure to make reservations.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

Went for dinner at Irene's with one other couple. Sat us in back corner of restaurant. VERY TIGHT seating. Forget about going to bathroom once your seated. It was also loud just from everyone talking. We did hear that they were moving so hopefully bigger place. I had the seafood pasta which was good but not excellent. The portions were not big, which I was glad for. My husband had the beef rib special and he said it was excellent. The 4 of us shared the chocolate mousse tart and that was excellent. Service was very good. Overall we would go back to Irene's and hopefully they will have moved by the next time we are in New Orleans!

Reviewed 9 November 2017

My sister and I took a chance without reservations and got in as soon as they opened. From beginning to end it was fabulous! We both had the Steak Spinalis and Bibb salad and it was delicious and cooked to perfection. We've eaten steak all our lives and this was one of the best!!!! But by far the service was the highlight of our evening. Scott was friendly, attentive and helpful. He brought a slice of cheesecake with one small candle unannounced at the end of our meal because my sister had mentioned my birthday. Very sweet! It also was delicious :) They are relocating soon to another place in the Quarter and I will be certain to visit them there next time in NO. Excellent!