See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 July 2015

While I was in New Orleans last month for the Crescent Connection Bridge Run and the Bridgeman Duathlon, I lodged at the Bed and Breakfast on the Point and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Ed and Hillery were fantastic hosts and very accommodating!

You couldn’t beat the breakfast and conversations at the 8:30 breakfast. On the first morning, I had breakfast with two gentlemen from Bath, England, and we talked about marathons and triathlons along with why American cities have zoning laws. Oh, and I probably ate more than my share of pralines.

If you like historical houses, then you’ll like staying here. The house is a two-story double gallery Greek Revival mansion constructed in 1848-1849 by two riverboat captains, Augustin Seger and Thomas Rees. The house still has the wood floors from that era, and yes, the floors do squeak a little but that adds to the ambiance of being in a historical home.

I stayed in the LeVergne Suite on the second level, and when I looked out the window, I had a nice view of the site’s iconic 400-year-old oak tree. My bed was very comfortable. It was almost like I was sleeping in my own bed at home.

Bed and Breakfast at the Point is located in Algiers Point, which is the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans and designated on the National Register of Historical Places. Don’t worry about being too far away from the French Quarter. The house is three blocks from the Algiers-Canal Street Ferry. The neighborhood is very safe for walking, and the houses display an array of architecture distinctively New Orleans. If you’re in the mood for a morning run or bike ride, the Mississippi River Trail is nearby providing a nice view of the Mississippi River and NOLA skyline.

This was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast, and my stay at Bed and Breakfast at the Point sold me on the experience. I look forward to staying here on my future trips to the Crescent City.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Griffin P
Reviewed 15 April 2015

We are so very glad we found Bed and Breakfast at the Point on Algiers Point - it's just a five minute walk to the ferry over to Canal Street, the breakfasts by Ed are amazing, and the atmosphere and friendliness of the owners, Ed and Hillery, and their two dogs, Cookie and Wishbone are fantastic. We're definitely making this our home away from home for all our visits to NOLA. The room was spacious with plenty of closet space, a convenient desk for our laptop, side table and chairs for morning coffee and a super-comfy bed. The bathroom was also spacious, with coffee maker and fixins, hair dryer and more at our disposal. We truly enjoyed the laid back atmosphere, and ending the day downstairs in the living room with Ed and Hillery and the pups, talking about that days adventures and sharing ideas for the next days roaming. They also have a lovely pool out back with plenty of chairs and tables to sit and relax - we ended most every evening with our toes dipped in the pool and a night cap. As a "furry" mom of four dogs, it was so nice to have Cookie and Wishbone around to love on - made it easier to be away from our dogs, and now we know we can bring one of our furry kids with us next time we come to stay. Ed and Hillery also gave us great advice on where to eat and shop, both on the point and across the river in the French Quarter, Garden District and along Freret Street. All in all, it was a fantastic birthday weekend for me and one we will definitely be repeating in the months ahead.

Room Tip: All the rooms are spacious and inviting, but the downstairs front room is really lovely!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Riogal87
Reviewed 21 November 2014

I'm so glad that the hotels across the river were full when I wanted to stay there for a conference. That brought me to Ed and Hillary's B&B in Algiers Point and an immersion course in local lore as well as much more. At various times the old 19th century house has been home to a river boat captain, a railroad magnate and a celebrated jazz musician (who is memorialized on a plaque affixed to the front wall). It has been sensitively refurbished and appropriately updated without destroying its authenticity. The beds are large and comfortable, the ceilings soar, bits of art and curios adorn the walls and the floorboards have just the right amount of creak to be enticing rather than annoying. My bathroom was large enough to have held a small party in and one wall hosted a non-working antique gas heater. The rooms were toasty in temperatures that flirted with freezing at night and the two dogs were companionable if invited. Leaves on a 200 year old oak rustled outside the window; klaxons on trains and river boats were far enough away to provide the right kind of atmosphere to lull one to sleep. Neighborhood homes display a range of architectural styles and are in almost uniformly good repair; the exteriors of many can be visited on a self-guided walking tour. For a dollar a trip I rode the ferry to and from the Canal Street landing near the Convention Center - great opening and closing bookends to the business portions of my stay. It was a ten minute walk from the house, leaving just enough time to reply to friendly greetings from dog-walking neighbors and kids at play on sidewalks surrounded by often lush vegetation. There are signs advertising the presence of security cameras but mostly to encourage dog exercisers to pick up after their pets; I saw no hint of threats to humans during 3 days there. I hope to be back.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Taughboyne
Reviewed 22 September 2014

Bed and Breakfast at the Point is the perfect place to stay if you want the local vibe of New Orleans living. The neighborhood does not have an unfriendly face and the hospitality makes you feel as if you have know the owners for decades. It is only a short ferry ride to the Quarter if you are out for exploration, but you get to come home to a nice quiet neighborhood to relax for the evening. Our room was spacious and captured all of the charm the homes of the area bring. We will be returning for sure!!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for 5 nights as the last leg of our road trip from Washington DC, having stayed in 7 other B&B's or hotels. This one was of the very highest quality in every way. Our hosts, Ed and Hillary made our stay so memorable. They were very helpful with all things New Orleans having lived in the city for many years, and are very friendly and approachable.
The breakfasts are delicious, freshly prepared and different each day. It was a real pleasure to sit down and eat them in their lovely dining area, often with one of them around to discuss the day with. We had the Verret Suite downstairs. Consisting of a bedroom, lounge, bathroom and mini kitchen with direct access onto the outside swimming pool, which we used twice a day and was very welcome after a day exploring the city. The house is one of the oldest on The Point and is beautiful with many original features, and is very convenient to the ferry being only a 5 minute walk away. It is set in a very quiet, leafy and historic residential area, being the second oldest district in New Orleans with a fascinating history.

Room Tip: We loved the Verret suiet, it is big and very comfortable with its own front door. We did also stay one night upstairs, as we booked an additional night at very late notice, which was also a beautiful room with a huge Oak tree outside the window, and having a king sized bed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple