“Such a great hostel See you in soon”
Review of India House Hostel

India House Hostel
Reviewed 13 January 2016

this place is such a great place. I went here from my birthday and Halloween I was nervous first time in a long time traveling solo the staff was amazing and fun well knowledgeable about the city were to go. so easy to make friends great place to pregame. there a chef so no need to cook after a long day sightseeing. close to the streetcar 10mins away from bourbon street and the french quarter. will stay here every time I am in new Orleans. LOVE IT HERE PLEASE VISIT you wont be disappointed

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 January 2016 via mobile

Check in was quick and staff were pleasant. Main hostel building was nice and had a decent atmosphere that one would assume is typical of New Orleans, rustic but welcoming. This however was not the case with the room we stayed in. The doors to get into the building, and the room, were both so filmsy that a frail child could have knocked them down. The 'bathroom' had various moulds fermenting on the parts of the walls that were still there, as for the holes I can just say I'm glad we didn't go in summer because I can only assume we'd have to fight off any number of creatures on the way to the shower, which of course, was broken to the point that getting it to work was like solving some ancient puzzlebox. Luckily a thoughtful traveller left some instructions in the form of a graffito which, surprisingly was one of the few redeeming features of the room including such nuggets of wisdom as 'heartbreak makes me horny'. The bedding we received was like a giant sheet of sandpaper similar in texture to that of an old, crusty carpet. To top off the stay on the last night the roof started to leak suspiciously yellow liquid. Gladly it wasn't above one of our beds so at least we didn't get literally pissed on during our trip. Location wasn't too bad, there's a tram stop right outside so it's easy to get to the city and the food they serve at the hostel is actually pretty good.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2016

When I booked this hostel (for what I found to be a very cheap price of $17/night) I was not expecting much. However, my first impression was not correct and I was pleasantly surprised from the moment I walked in. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. There is a huge area in the back to which you can’t get to from the street (great security-wise) and it features a sitting area as well as a pool! It was cold when I stayed there so I did not swim but I’m sure it is a great place to hang out in the summer. There is a gentleman cooking delicious breakfast every morning from 9am to 1pm (so those who sleep in can get a chance to eat), and you won’t spend more than $6 for a great meal. The kitchen itself is huge and allows for storage of personal food and also food to share. Usually a deal-breaker for me are bathrooms, but this bathroom situation was not at all what I expected. The showers and toilet areas were clean and the water for showers was hot every day. Depending on where you stay you can either walk outside to get to the showers and toilets or go in the building in which you are located. There is a streetcar a 1min walk away so the location is great. The ONE flaw that I found in the place was the lack of a bar. I am a fan of socializing with a drink or two and I think that would have given me the ability to meet more people; however, this is more of a personal preference and by no means is something that would prevent me from staying there again. Loved it, I would definitely recommend staying at this hostel!

Room Tip: A ton of room options in different parts, I would suggest if you want to be away from the noise avoi...
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2015

Highly recommend this hostel! VERY AFFORDABLE! I have stayed there multiple times (8 weeks total) and love it every time! The hostel has a nice pool/deck, outside kitchen, inside kitchen and more. They also serve hot/homemade dinner every night for $5 and breakfast is available in the morning for cheap. Its only a few steps from the streetcar and a short ride to Bourbon Street. I have had AMAZING experiences at India House!!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kel R
Reviewed 23 December 2015

At $17 a night for a shared room with 4 bunk beds, this hostel was very affordable and served our basic needs. The street car and major bus route are at the end of the block, so you can get downtown in about 15-20 minutes. There are several shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance. Friendly staff are at the front desk to welcome new guests and will escort you to your room. You receive your own room key. There are two houses in the front, and if you stay in the one on the left, it is always locked, so you will receive a key for the front door as well. There is a large backyard area with a pool, private rooms, an outdoor kitchen where breakfast and dinner are prepared and served and a stage and space for entertainment. There is a kitchen in the main house with 3 refrigerators to store your own food. The shared bathrooms are fairly clean, are accessible by all and there are only curtains on the showers. Common areas have quirky decor, colorful paintings and scotch tape with messages written by travelers from all around the world.
Now, to the reasons I gave the property an average rating (and this is due to the fact that my friend and I booked the hostel during Mardi Gras) are that the rooms were very noisy and very cold. We shared a room with 6 other girls who stayed out late every night and came back to the room very late and very drunk. They were completely inconsiderate and woke us up every night, but we retaliated by waking them up in the morning :). You could also clearly hear the people who were partying in the backyard. We're not total prudes who didn't party, but the point is that the walls and windows were old and do nothing to reduce noise. They also did nothing to keep the cold out. The blankets provided were thin, so I'd suggest packing one of your own or doubling up with a partner. The kitchens and backyard area provide you with many opportunities to meet new people from around the globe and get advice on where to go in the City. I would definitely recommend this hostel and a shared room if you plan on being out and about most of the day, otherwise, do yourself a favor and rent a private room.

Room Tip: The house on the left is always locked and you'll receive a key for the front door and your room...
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends