India House Hostel
US$356
US$337
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$264
US$231
  • Breakfast included
US$388
US$344
US$370
US$332
  • Fitness centre
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$300
US$281
US$265
FourPoints.com
  • Pool
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$185
  • Breakfast included
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
US$280
US$267
Omni Hotels
  • Pool
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$408
US$333
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewscommon areasbooked a private roomchickie wah wahtram stoplarge kitchenswimming poolown bathroommid cityfrench quarterthe main housecanal streetlounge areaswamp tourmardi grasbourbon stjazz festnola
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2016

When I booked this hostel (for what I found to be a very cheap price of $17/night) I was not expecting much. However, my first impression was not correct and I was pleasantly surprised from the moment I walked in. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. There is a huge area in the back to which you can’t get to from the street (great security-wise) and it features a sitting area as well as a pool! It was cold when I stayed there so I did not swim but I’m sure it is a great place to hang out in the summer. There is a gentleman cooking delicious breakfast every morning from 9am to 1pm (so those who sleep in can get a chance to eat), and you won’t spend more than $6 for a great meal. The kitchen itself is huge and allows for storage of personal food and also food to share. Usually a deal-breaker for me are bathrooms, but this bathroom situation was not at all what I expected. The showers and toilet areas were clean and the water for showers was hot every day. Depending on where you stay you can either walk outside to get to the showers and toilets or go in the building in which you are located. There is a streetcar a 1min walk away so the location is great. The ONE flaw that I found in the place was the lack of a bar. I am a fan of socializing with a drink or two and I think that would have given me the ability to meet more people; however, this is more of a personal preference and by no means is something that would prevent me from staying there again. Loved it, I would definitely recommend staying at this hostel!

Room Tip: A ton of room options in different parts, I would suggest if you want to be away from the noise avoid the "Outback" room
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2015

Highly recommend this hostel! VERY AFFORDABLE! I have stayed there multiple times (8 weeks total) and love it every time! The hostel has a nice pool/deck, outside kitchen, inside kitchen and more. They also serve hot/homemade dinner every night for $5 and breakfast is available in the morning for cheap. Its only a few steps from the streetcar and a short ride to Bourbon Street. I have had AMAZING experiences at India House!!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kel R
Reviewed 23 December 2015

At $17 a night for a shared room with 4 bunk beds, this hostel was very affordable and served our basic needs. The street car and major bus route are at the end of the block, so you can get downtown in about 15-20 minutes. There are several shops, bars and restaurants within walking distance. Friendly staff are at the front desk to welcome new guests and will escort you to your room. You receive your own room key. There are two houses in the front, and if you stay in the one on the left, it is always locked, so you will receive a key for the front door as well. There is a large backyard area with a pool, private rooms, an outdoor kitchen where breakfast and dinner are prepared and served and a stage and space for entertainment. There is a kitchen in the main house with 3 refrigerators to store your own food. The shared bathrooms are fairly clean, are accessible by all and there are only curtains on the showers. Common areas have quirky decor, colorful paintings and scotch tape with messages written by travelers from all around the world.
Now, to the reasons I gave the property an average rating (and this is due to the fact that my friend and I booked the hostel during Mardi Gras) are that the rooms were very noisy and very cold. We shared a room with 6 other girls who stayed out late every night and came back to the room very late and very drunk. They were completely inconsiderate and woke us up every night, but we retaliated by waking them up in the morning :). You could also clearly hear the people who were partying in the backyard. We're not total prudes who didn't party, but the point is that the walls and windows were old and do nothing to reduce noise. They also did nothing to keep the cold out. The blankets provided were thin, so I'd suggest packing one of your own or doubling up with a partner. The kitchens and backyard area provide you with many opportunities to meet new people from around the globe and get advice on where to go in the City. I would definitely recommend this hostel and a shared room if you plan on being out and about most of the day, otherwise, do yourself a favor and rent a private room.

Room Tip: The house on the left is always locked and you'll receive a key for the front door and your room.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2015

Great price, we paid 17$ per night for a mixed dorm through Hostelworld. The place was bohemian decor, and the staff were all friendly enough. A bit on the run down side, and not spic and span clean. But for us that was just fine. Al the other visitors were friendly and there were lots of areas to hangout. The breakfast was GOOD and 5$. We never had the dinner, but it always smelled great. The canal street car stops right outside and runs until the early hours of the morning. Great spot, would stay again

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

This hostel is a great place to meet new friends! It's 2 minutes far from the street car. There is a pharmacy and a dollar shop 7 minutes walking. It's a great place to stay. Very colorful and cosy. Feels like home! The staff is great! If you're traveling solo, that's the perfect place for you!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo