“what a treat”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #144 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 16 December 2010

My family recently stayed at st Vincents gust house and I must say I don't understand why some of these reviews are so bad It is not only a beautiful older building with lovely courtyards and sitting areas but the rooms are quite large and very beautiful. As an added treat we found out from the staff (who was so overly helpful) that we actually stayed in the same room as Bruce Willis and Morgan freeman when they were filming "red" how amazing. my children will always remember it. I would definitely stay here again and bring my friends.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dessiem2000

Reviewed 24 November 2010

I have travelled quite a lot and in many places in camping areas and hostels but I would not recommend this place to anybody... It might be a personal and isolated bad experience but I don't think so... The hostel is ina good position and the ancient and colonial building is really fascinating but the staff of the place is unreliable and the rooms very dirty.
To give you an idea of our experience:
I had reserved well in advance for me and other friends but my room was assigned to somebodyelse the morning of our arrival and they hadn't even realized it since they gave us the keys and we entered in somebodyelse's room with all his/her stuff there... so, at the end, we were assigned another room that was almost a cave, very humid, dirty, without air condition and with all sort of animals all around. They assured us that we would have been placed in another and convenient room the day after but when we asked, the following day, about such change the same woman answered in a very rude way saying that they were overbooked and that it was only our problem. When we asked for at least some cleaning of the room, the staff member sent to clean the room - ironically - came just with a piece of toilet paper in order to pretend to take from the ground some of the cigarettes, insects, hair and other trash from the previous occupants of the room, that covered the floor. Some of our friends had other bad experiences, having a room crawl with fleas which bited them during the night.
In addition, we decided to leave one day earlier and asked the doorman if this was possible - despite the standard non-refund policy - to get the money back for that nigh and he said "of course, we are overbooked so it's a deal for both of us. We will refund you in 2 days". When we wrote some weeks later having received no money back, they denied everything.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Noluogo82
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I'm writing this in the hope we will actual get our refund.
We stayed here a night, and were charged twice for it, my partner has been back at least five times to get his $50 refund, showed them his bank statement, reciept, talked to them face to face and sent plenty of emails. We are living in New Orleans so have the luxury to go and tell them to refund us, but they are being so slack about it and lying, saying it's been sorted out, but this happened at least a month a go. the place is total decrepit and not worth staying at.
To the Manager, if you are reading this we need our refund! It was your staff who screwed up and you need to pay up!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wonderlustmag
TheStVincent, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2010

This couple stayed here over the Halloween weekend. The gentleman reserved a room using his legal name, then checked in using a different name, this led to some confusion which has since been resolved. We’ve informed these guests that our dorm rates are per person, not per room, and two guests for the two nights they stayed equals $100, not $50. Feel free to discuss any questions or concerns with our new desk manager Louise.

Reviewed 28 October 2010

I have stayed at St. Vincent's 4 or 5 times now, and it gets better each time! This is not a lavish place, but the rooms are just fine and I sleep like a baby at night! The building is very old, historic in fact, which is why it can seem a little dusty to folks who are used to the big chain hotels, but I have NEVER seen a single bug in my room EVER!!! The property is unique and charming. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. I plan to visit St. Vincent's again the next time I'm in NOLA. I like the neighborhood because you can walk or take a bus or streetcar almost anywhere, and the surrounding blocks have really cool shops, affordable restaurants and a hip atmosphere in general. There's even a pool and a barbecue in the courtyard! St. Vincent's Guesthouse is the best kept secret in New Orleans!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank anitaboucher
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed at the St Vincent Guesthouse in late August and were completely disappointed in the place. The room was basic, which generally isn't a problem for me - but there was bug powder around the entire room and we were bitten by some kind of insects during the nights. The breaking point came when we found a cockroach in our luggage. We were on a two month road trip around the US, staying in some pretty basic places, and camping where necessary. I would say that this guesthouse gave us our WORST accommodation of the whole trip.

I noticed that the General Manager has commented a previous complaint by saying that they've had no guest complaints about bug infestations for a month prior to September 15th. This is a lie. We moved out after strongly complaining about our cockroach experiences on the 20th August. He know this because we asked for a refund which - despite the staff assuring us we would be forthcoming - has not materialised yet. In fact he lied to us on multiple occasions about calling us back to discuss the matter further.

My advice to anyone planning on a stay is: don't, there are way nicer places to stay for a similar amount of money in NOLA. It might just ruin your experience of the whole place. The one saving grace were the staff on the front desk, who tried to be as accommodating as they could be, given the circumstances...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LondonBarbd
TheStVincent, General Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2010

On the third day of their stay with us, this couple complained about finding a cockroach inside of a suitcase that they had been storing food in during their travels, and they demanded a full refund. We don’t know if the roach arrived inside the suitcase or if it had somehow entered the suitcase after their arrival, but in any case we accommodated them by upgrading them to one of our best rooms, and also gave them an extra night free of charge (they spent six days with us altogether). They seemed satisfied with this at the time. We happily accommodate our guests within reason.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Orleans
Federal City Inn & Suites
#71 of 166 in New Orleans
Wyndham Garden Hotel
#140 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!