InterContinental New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$156
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$183
US$164
  • Pool
Loews New Orleans Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$111
Loews Hotels
Savings alert! 43% below average rates

The price you found is 43% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$195/night.

The Eliza Jane(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$185
  • Room Service
The Whitney Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$134
  • Breakfast included
Windsor Court Hotel(New Orleans)
US$418
US$323
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$377/night.

US$126
Travelocity
US$140
US$116
Savings alert! 39% below average rates

The price you found is 39% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$191/night.

US$405
US$376
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgarden districtfew blocksbackpackersstreetcaruptown
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I've seen the negative reviews about St. Vincent and am just not sure what people expect. My review is based on staying in a private room during JazzFest. I love the place. Yes, it's funky. It's old. That's part of its' charm. It's perfectly located between the Garden District and downtown/French Quarter and right across the street from Mojo, my favorite New Orleans coffee shop.

The staff was unfailingly polite and friendly with me. The first time I entered my room, a woman who cleans rooms told me to "let her know if I needed anything." My room was clean with 2 beds, towels, shower, tv and a spectacular view of the bridge to Algiers at night.

For a room at JazzFest where I could be safe with a laptop, etc., the rates are spectacularly low and I was completely happy with my stay there. I've been there before at JazzFest and had a similarly positive experience. I stayed in the dorms in previous years and didn't have any issues there either, but can't comment on recent dorm experience.

Last year I stayed there with a fairly high rolling friend who was used to staying at the Monteleone (high buck French Quarter hotel). He was initially hesitant, but ended up perfectly happy with it. At Jazz Fest all I need is a safe and reasonably clean place to lay my head and St. Vincent's is that plus a great old New Orleans historical vibe. It also has a parking lot that made it more convenient and cheaper than many "nicer" hotels which often charge for parking, particularly in the Quarter.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2009

I was nervous to stay here after reading the comments left on here but I had so much fun staying at St Vincent's. It is such a charming place and some of the workers told us about really interesting history of the place. I didn't see one bug in my room and I stayed all week. The room was pretty clean too. I had a problem with my shower and they immediately fixed it. You pretty much get what you pay for with the room. It was actually much nicer than I expected. I did bring my own towel, but they had enough there and were willing to give us more. I went to New Orleans with my school to help rebuild and this was a great place to relax after working. The location is in a nice area. Theres a coffee shop right across the street and a really good restaurant a few blocks away. There is also a small restaurant at the hotel which had great breakfast and coffee! All of the employees were really friendly too. We had a wonderful experience and now have some priceless stories.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2009

The list of issues with this “guest house” is overwhelming: *Arrived at 2pm but not given access to room until 5pm. *Very steep flights of stairs; elevator has not worked in years. *Taken to room being built in attic. Operative word is “being”—there was sawdust and sheetrock dust and exposed electrical wiring in the hallway. *The attic room was indescribably bad so we requested a change. A manager literally yelled at us and berated us. After much hassle another room was provided, with the desk clerk apologizing for the manager “Sorry, he is a former New Orleans cop and he sometimes gets rough on people”. * The new room, complete with Salvation Army furniture, mold around the tub, and a welcoming cockroach, looked great compared to the attic room. Plus we had no choice to move—the city’s rooms were fully booked due to Jazz Fest. * The room had no phone, shampoo, toilet paper, drinking glasses, or hangers in the makeshift closet. *The staff were observed smoking in the hallways and in the guests’ rooms. One staff member was drinking from a quart beer bottle. *There was a small pool, with water so dirty it was opaque. *We had nineteen guests in our group; only one reported being able to get a picture on their television sets. *Most of the furnishings were broken wicker pieces. Our small wicker chest of drawers had newspaper lining, so your clothes could be fashionably imprinted with newsprint. *There was no housekeeping, change of linens or towels available, during our during the week stay. *Some of the hotel hallways had no fire exit markings, and none of the rooms contained instructions for emergency exits. Were there ANY positives you might ask: *The room’s window AC unit worked well and there was hot water for the shower. *The (separately-run) coffee shop on the premise was clean and served a good basic breakfast. *The Katrina victims who were still staying at the “hotel” advised of problems with bedbugs, but we only had our cockroach.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Bill1970
TravelGuyX504, Manager at St. Vincent's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2009

Our guest house has a maid service that runs 7 days a week. Towels and change of linens are available twice a week for weekly guests,but are also available upon request anytime a guest wishes.. There is a number of things within this rewiew that are simply not true. For instance, toilet paper is always available to our guests 24/7.
One comment saying our hallways have no instructions for emergency exits is completely false. In fact we recently had an inspection and are strictly to code. Another comment stated that our room furniture was from the ''Salvation Army''?? Not sure where that idea was received but in fact our furniture was purchased from the Marriot. Also, all of our rooms have working television sets.
Our pool is 75 feet long by 10 feet wide, and is currently a very swimable blue-green color. Would also like to add that this review was written in April and we were just starting to treat our pool...coming out of the winter months.
This guest was NEVER yelled at or berated by any member of management, or by our staff. There was an issue with a room change, and that request was promptly granted. Our elevator is in service, however, we are having issues with the control panel. For precautionary measures we placed it out of order due to heavy Jazz Fest traffic.
The review also stated that we house ''Katrina Victims''?? We have no clue what this is referring to or to the ''bed bugs'' apparently these people were discussing. We do not have any type of mite or bed bug issues.
The review also stated that the guest was 'stuck' because of no available rooms in the city for that period of time. This is simply not true. Many other rooms were available elsewhere, in some cases though, the nightly rate was up to 4 times what we charge. It was their choice to remain here.
The privately owned cafe was more than accomodating to this group of people. For example, the group initially arranged for a continental breakfast to be included in their room rate, and right before thier arrival asked for extra items that were never discussed or approved beforehand. St. Vincent's guest house provided these items with no additional charge. Though there were a few minor issues with this party, we went above and beyond ourselves to correct and solve each situation that was brought to our attention.
St. Vincents guest house is a historic building undergoing renovations. We provide basic safe and comfortable accomodations for less than half of what most of the major hotels in new orleans costs. Though we welcome and respect all reviews written about us, this particular review seemed to be vague on the situations that did take place, in exchange for creative ad libs of things that simply did not take place.

Reviewed 22 February 2009

REVIEW DATE: Feb 22nd.
This review contains accurate descriptions of all aspects of the St. Vincents Guest House I can think of from the Male Dorm Room Experience.
Male DORM ROOMS NOT RECOMMENDED. It is recommended that you upgrade to a private room or a different place.

Only stay here if you need a place to pass out from drinking and do not have a car/park bench/tent. If you find ANY other person to room with, it is highly recommended going elsewhere. I can however run on 4 hours of sleep on low pile carpet so if this is you then it is recommended.

ACCOMODATIONS: they have removed all pillows and mattresses (too many bed bugs we concluded) and you sleep on box springs in the dorms - not very comfortable. The couches in the dorm rooms or lounge are taken first.
CLEANINGS: Hit and miss. Room cleanings every week or so. Daily cleanup of the property.
RATES: PLEASE book online so that they do not charge you $70 per person per night for dorms during busy seasons.
MARDI GRAS: This place is SO incredibly decrepid that the even during mardi gras they do not fully book up.
AMENITIES: the owners and management closed the common kitchen and do not have any common areas to socialize in. DO NOT COME HERE FOR A HOSTEL EXPERIENCE: There is a conflict of interest with having a restaurant on site - for some reason the restaurant is very busy when the only kitchen is closed???? go figure that the restaurant prices are inflated when tenancy rates here go up!
PLUMBING: I just overheard that the plumbing on the entire 3rd floor is broken, however the first and 2nd floor do have both hot and cold water (they reversed the hot/cold plumbing in our room for kicks).
CLEANLINESS: I give this an A because they actually make an effort to keep the property clean and because the guests do a good job of cleaning.
BUGS: I only saw 1 cockroach running around the toilet - but this was during the winter (February). On the ground floor, expect spiders, but I didn't get any bites.
TOILETS: One 3 piece restroom per dorm room of 8 beds.
COOKING: Forget it. There are no cooking appliances indoors. There are however 3 rusted hibatchi's, 1 broken propane BBQ, 1 full sized charcoal BBQ (which we used after much maintenance) and 1 smoker.
WIRELESS INTERNET: Only in the lobby -> building is made of brick so even though I have a top of the line wireless laptop, I don't get reception in my room.
LOCATION: Perfect for seeing the city, right on the bus line that will take you downtown and close to the major Mardi Gras Parades if you are here during that time. I give this an "A".
RENTAL UNITS: It seems there are a lot of students and transients that will rent monthly for $2100 for 700sq feet.
EMPLOYEES: I have heard nothing but griping and groaning from the managers and staff about their work since I started writing this review in the lobby, albeit if you ask ANY questions they will answer them. If you ask them for a corkscrew to open wine, or how to take the bus, or have them call a taxi, they will answer with a smile. But "forget about mattresses or pillows" is what I've been told by others.
RESTAURANT: I just overheard the woman at the front desk say that the on site restaurant made $1000 yesterday, which is a record for this area, and for the restaurant. The front desk employee just mentioned she was helping set cutlery yesterday because the restaurant was so busy. I'm no expert on business (I've only taken my MBA) but this conflict of interest does not benefit those who want to cook themselves - or save money by cooking with others.
NEIGHBOURHOOD: This is in the garden district in New Orleans - excellent location and beautiful houses. It is an lush and green neighbourhood with an interesting mix of rich family homes with run down slums and social housing ($5/month after Katrina). I was at a parade two nights ago and was 50ft from a shooting where likely a gang member was shot (only 4 blocks from the hostel). Don't worry, this is normal for the New Orleans(big american cities and didn't make the papers of course).
BEDS: Are assigned - they tell you by putting your bed number on your receipt - creates a bit of confusion.
PRICE: I paid $34.95USD by booking 3 weeks in advance for MARDI GRAS.
PARKING: I was told by the monthly tenants/long term residents that parking is very safe in the gated off property.
SUMMARY: I never write online reviews but this "HOTEL" was such a horrible business and I don't understand why they haven't converted the entire place to rental units. I signed up on to tripadvisor specifically to write this review.

STATEMENT OF POTENTIAL CONFLICTS OF INTEREST: I guess the fact that I have become so used to having mattresses/pillows in hostels that it has created a high level of bias towards a terrible experience here (but I am not alone). I have become so used to hostels providing amenities that I didn't realize how terrible things can get when a hostel does not provide those things. I didn't think I needed to pack an inflatable/air/foam mattress but it is the only thing I really need to get a good nights rest. I would not have been so dissappointed if the web site told us to bring our own mattresses. I did bring everything necessary for car camping so we are fairing better than others for a budget road trip.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank nibloc
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Bed bugs, roaches, dirty rooms we could not stay there. Awful nasty. The owners are very rude. Never again. I do not know when they took the pictures on there website but it does not look at all like that, maybe 30 years ago. Not a safe place to stay. Please please do not stay there. I would not want my worst enemy to stay at the St. Vincent'sGuest House.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank fastfoci2000