“Mardi Gras Week 2012”

St. Vincent's Guest House
Ranked #144 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have read many of the reviews posted here about St. Vincent's. My sister and I stayed here this past week the three days following Mardi Gras. It is a bit of a walk to get to the French Quarter, but the grounds and grande old building are BEAUTIFUL! It used to be an Infant Orphan Asylum and has so many photographs from the older days, old painted posters from the Civil War, fifteen foot windows, just magnificent.
Now, to all you who had ney to say...it is an old building. It is in New Orleans, one of the muggiest places on the planet. You can only do so much to make a place built more than 150 years ago look immaculate. Do not expect The Plaza. You are booking a hostel.
We had fresh linens, towels, wash clothes, and a ceiling fan. The shower had hot water and the door had a working lock and chain.
The staff made a mistake with our deposit but gladly rectified it before the end of our stay and could NOT have been friendlier!!!!
We had NO BUGS in our room (private room, 2 Queen beds, bathroom included). It had obviously been freshly cleaned and linened.
I did find VERY interesting some of the paranormal history of the hostel. We had a few experiences, and heard of many more....from guests and overheard from staff ( yes, I am sorry, I eavesdropped....curiosity!). It added to the charm and history of the place.
Although Mom thought it was a bit dodgy after looking at the reviews of others, MY EXPERIENCE was overall WAAAAYYY POSITIVE!!!
I am thinking about moving to NOLA and would definitely look to St. Vincent's for weekly or monthly rates to start off my stay.
The Garden District (where SV is located, border), is beautiful....many quaint shops and eateries and a close walk to Lafayette Cemetery No. 1.
St. Vincent's was, to me, the epitome of olde world N'awlins charm and grace. The other guests I met where friendly and wished they'd had a private room. When you stay in a dorm setting, you must expect other people to be dirty....not everyone showers, washes the counter, or cleans up after themselves the way you do. If you don't want that, GET A PRIVATE ROOM. It is tedious trying to clean up after 80 individuals at all hours of the day and book rezzies and work the front desk and refresh linens for 75 rooms and answer the phones and take care of breakfast and look after the vending machine and pool and mopping and vacuuming!!!
Give the staff a break. I was happy to get warm friendly faces with a smile through obvious tire.
Thank you for an unforgettable holiday and I hope to see you again soon.....MGR.: if you are reading this, please respond with an email so I may contact you about long-stay options in the near future! Ta!!

Room Tip: As per the swimming pool, it is FEBRUARY!!! I'm sure it's excellent, but it was closed!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LaurenAnneMarchese

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed here for Mardi Gras and the location is PERFECT. You can walk everywhere, but even the streetcar is 4 blocks away on St Charles Ave. Magazine St itself is gorgeous, and has loads of great shops and dining facilities.

We stayed in a dorm room, and were expecting the worse after reading reviews on here! The thing you have to bare in mind is that St Vincent's is a guest house, not a hotel, and although the facilities and cleanliness aren't great it's still a bed during Mardi Gras that isn't hundreds of dollars! The 'random people' that people keep talking about on here are the people that actually work there and lived in the dorm next to ours, and they were all really lovely and very helpful. There are lockers in the dorms, and I never felt unsafe (and even the cleaning staff reminded us all to keep shutting the door properly.) All the staff were friendly and looked after us well, constantly offering more blankets or towels.

Overall, especially during peek times (such as Mardi Gras) when all you need is a place to sleep then it's definitely the place to stay, but if you're the type of person who needs hotel-standard accommodation, then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank amyy279
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend as we were attending Mardi Gras. First, a couple of good points: The location is fantastic! We watched the parades from St Charles Avenue, had dinner at Voodoo BBQ (near by) and it has a great coffee shop across the road (Mojos). It was also within walking distance to Canal St (half hour max on a busy night) and Bourbon St (40 minutes max).
Now to the bad: Check in staff are average at best. Be sure to keep all receipts of what you have paid. The rooms are a basic 1* hotel quality, the bathrooms were a shower (with curtain) and toilet (which flushed ok sometimes) and the hand basin was in the room. The floors were not spotless, the rooms were cold (although there was a smal bar heater in the room) and overall, I would not ever stay here again.

The price, for Mardi Gras week/weekend was good value for the location, and if you can tolerate no housekeeping for your stay and basic rooms, then this is your place. There is no room safe and the door lock was somewhat dodgy.

The room walls are paperthin and it is very noisy at night time with people outside in the courtyard area.

If you want a nice warm shower, with a nice hotel room to relax in, this is NOT your place. If you want somewhere that is in a good spot, don't care about cleanliness and just want a bed to rest, this could be your place.

Overall, this is probably the worst place I have stayed in in my 30 years, however it served its purpose.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the vending machine/laundry area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smally82
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I booked a room at St. Vincent's under the agreement that I would be getting a COMPLETE pet deposit refund back in the amount of $100 if the room sustained no damage from the pet, which it didn't. Before I booked, I was told in an email by one of the (thieving) owners, Dianne, that this was their pet policy. This was confirmed again via telephone with the other owner, Peter, before I checked in. I thought, "great, everyone is on the same page." WRONG. So I checked in and checked out under the same premise that I would be fully reimbursed $100, and my receipt also reflected that my deposit of $100 was FULLY refundable. Since I put the pet deposit on my credit card, I had to wait a bit for the refund to process and reflect in my bank account after I checked out. So, two weeks later I find out that only $70 was put back into my account, not the full $100. Now wait a second, this wasn't the quote previously agreed upon (by both owners!!). When I called the heistel, I mean hostel, (multiple times mind you) to find out what was going on, I was met with a lot of employees who didn't know what was going on with the situation. The incompetent staff took down messages for me, but I was never called back. Some days I would call and no one would pick up at all. After a week of this, I finally got a hold of the manager, Brandy. She told me that it wasn't the owners job to do the bookings in the first place, and that they misquoted me (not my problem!!). She also said that I was lucky to get $70 back! As if they have screwed other people over in the past for the full $100! She said that she talked to the owners and they said that this "was a closed case" and that there is nothing she could do about it. She apologized and said that "every hotel has a non-refundable pet deposit". BLANTANT THIEVERY! I was also never given Dianne's or Peter's phone number like I asked. I also emailed Dianne and Peter at the contact address listed on their website, but never got a response. You would think that the owners (DIANNE AND PETER) would at least own up to their screw-up and compensate me for the remaining money of the deposit, but no. I will never stay here again, and I will make sure my friends don't either.

BOTTOM LINE: NO ACCOUNTABILITY AND NO TRANSPARENCY ON THE OWNER'S PART. INCOMPETENT STAFF AND WORSE OWNERS WHO DON'T MIND RIPPING PEOPLE OFF. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!! THE PLACE WAS SUPER NOISY ON TOP OF IT. THIS PLACE SUCKS.

Just to add, here is the initial email thread when I first booked the room:

reservation
st vincent email
x
tim Cone

12/1/11

to stvreservations
Hi!

I was wondering if I could make a reservation from Wednesday, January 4th - Saturday, January 7th. I am looking for a private room with two beds. There will be 3 people and one small dog. Please let me know if this would work when you get a chance! Thanks!
Dianne Anderson stvreservations@gmail.com

12/2/11

to me
Hi Tim, we do have availability and the rate is $49 Wednesday and Thursday and $59 on Friday and Saturday. We accept pets with a $100 deposit that is fully refundable at the end of your stay. Just phone or e-mail to reserve. We request a one night deposit to guarantee the reservation. Cancellation is 72 hours. Cheers, Dianne

Room Tip: Just don't even stay here, it's not worth the B.S. that you put up with. The owners like to...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Nice place and affordable
Room size was good
Free Parking!!
Clean
Bathroom needs improve the cleaning
excelent location

Federal City Inn & Suites
#71 of 166 in New Orleans
Wyndham Garden Hotel
#140 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to St. Vincent's Guest House? Share your experiences!