“Frey Smoked Meat Company”

Frey Smoked Meat Co.
Ranked #623 of 1,997 Restaurants in New Orleans
Reviewed 18 August 2017

wow. just wow. went here for lunch, had the brisket platter, brisket cooked so tender that it fell apart at the touch of a fork. for sides I had baked beans, which has brisket in it (double yum) and texas toast, which is a huge, thick, slab of garlic toast cooked on the grill (easily 5x5 and 2 inches thick). Others in the group had pulled pork and a chili hamburger (yep, meat in the chili is huge brisket chunks).

it was sooooo freaking good, I am going back today for lunch again.

oh, the service was also very good, prompt, efficient, friendly...

Reviewed 8 August 2017

This time I went back for another burger, the last one was so good that i had to return. The Backyard Burger is an 8oz cheeseburger with the usual fixings and additional grilled onions. Very nice. Their BBQ is great, the burgers are big, juicy & cooked to order, the drinks are great, it's nice that we have this addition to Mid-City' restaurant roster.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Walking into this restaurant the barbecue's aroma was spectacular had we not eaten an hour before. . . My whole crew of teenagers and my sister were so angry that I dragged them from the French Quarter for dessert but boy did they change their mind when it arrived! This giant milk shake filled with Oreo cookie milkshake, had a lined mug with chocolate and more Oreos, whipped cream and a whole cupcake frosted into the shape of a blue monster, then that monster had a cookie shoved in his mouth, and another large cookie is shoved behind the cupcake.... forget the BBQ come for the dessert! Our desserts got Well deserved selfies/photo shoots and we ate on them for the next day or two! Worth the trip! Just saying! Find a true blue monster is New Orleans and there is no mystery to it! Just go!

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Ordered take out food for family early dinner. The restaurant was fairly full, but not crowded and did not have to wait too long for food to be prepared. We had the 3-meat platter with sliced brisket, chicken, and ribs - all of the meat was very, very good, moist and flavorful, and the portions were generous. We especially liked the brisket. The smoked wings were also very good, and the pork belly poppers are crazy good. We also ordered the "fattie" chili cheeseburger, which was good but the meat was not very flavorful and because the chili had mostly beans in it, it detracted from the burger - next time we will get the plain one. The French fries and cornbread were excellent! The potato salad was "okay", and Brussel sprouts were good. We got the cookie monster shake - because it was to-go there are no toppings on it, and the portion was considerably smaller (it is $2 cheaper), but is was still quite flavorful. All in all, we really enjoyed this meal and will definitely return to try more items However, I do get it when other reviewers complain about the servers not being engaged. The bartenders seemed to be talkative to the people at the bar. The hostess was pleasant, but not at all what I would call friendly - and I would not want her to me my "up front" representative. No smile. No charm. No cheerfulness. Nothing at all that made me think I was a valued customer. What's up with that? Very happy to have such good BBQ in the area, and we will definitely return, but sure hope to see a little more friendliness next time!

Reviewed 4 July 2017 via mobile

Our family decided to stop by the Frey Smoked Meat Company after seeing a photo of their Cookie Monster shake. It was certainly worth a visit, and we will be back again. We have never seen anything like it.