Marquette House New Orleans International Hostel
  • Restaurant
US$350
US$342
  • Breakfast included
Hyatt Regency New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$349
US$318
  • Pool
Best Western Plus St. Charles Inn(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$352
US$344
US$332
US$286
  • Pool
Federal City Inn & Suites(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$137
Royal St Charles Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$347
  • Fitness centre
US$275
US$262
Loews Hotels
  • Pool
MOXY New Orleans Downtown/French Quarter Area(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$375
  • Bar/Lounge
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 March 2015

My group got there at 8 or 9am after a 17hr car ride and our room wasn't ready so we had to wander around for a few hours til it was ready in the afternoon. The private room was pretty spacious for the 5 of us, but the bunk beds were very creaky and shook every time someone moved. The building is old and the rooms aren't updated, so they have expected wear and tear from years of use. However, after reading other reviews before, the bathroom was much nicer than I expected and not even gross. The AC was very necessary and did it's job. The carpet smelled kind of bad in one area. I wouldn't describe the room as a whole as clean (like the carpet and couch), but it was definitely livable. We drunkenly checked the beds for bed bugs, but didn't find any and after being home for a few days, we still haven't noticed any bites. There isn't a common area besides outside, but they have a nice large porch with chairs to chill on. If you don't plan on spending a lot of time inside, this place is fine, especially if you book a private room.

Room Tip: Private rooms seem cleaner (judging by other reviews), are pretty spacious, and have a large shared porch.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 March 2015

We tried contacting the hostel for information prior to arriving. The office is CLOSED between 12:00 and 17:00 - WHAT???

The guy behind the reception was okay; many say he is creepy and I know what they mean, but I couldn't bring myself to say that! He knows a lot about cats (??). He told us there was no Sunday public transport to the airport (there was!!)

Great location for getting to the French Quarter with a Street Car stop about 3 minutes walk away.

The checking in felt stifled; I was travelling with a male family member and we were in separate dorms. I was in a 14 bed female dorm. The toilet was disgusting (used tampons in an open bin, blood on the sink tap (hot tap).

The shower is in the bathroom - but the only lock is for the toilet section so if you want a shower you just have to hope no-one enters, or you have something heavy to put behind the door.

The beds were too close together, they were all bunks but had less than 1 metre between each set of beds. I seem to have been lucky - I heard 3 people say about bed bugs in the dorms. Thankfully, I didn't have any problems with that.

The bedding was given to us as we checked in.

The place appeared to be in use by local people who have no home, for whatever reason. I was next to a local with a flooded house - she delighted in telling me that the locals get sick of stupid tourists (that was me put in my place!!!)

The kitchen is awful, dirty and the crockery and cutlery were all over the place (and not much of it) Fridges were dirty and no sorting out old food.

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

Would I recommend it? Yes... to someone who is desperate to sleep with little bed bugs!

Room Tip: Use another hostel
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2015

I should have walked out of this place the second i got there. Creepy staff, overpriced and when i got to my room is was disgusting. Figured we would just be crashing for a few nights and out all day for Mardi Gras so it'd be okay. Wrong. Woke up with bed bugs & the staff basically told me they had sprayed and i had to be wrong. Meanwhile im covered in bites and terrified of bringing them home with me. The man at the counter didnt even apologize & would only give me back half of my money!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2015
2  Thank Colef20
Reviewed 9 December 2014

I booked a bed in a female dormitory, because the prices were cheap. It didn't end up being the best decision in my life to stay in this hostel.

Well, the location was easy to reach, it was nearby supermarket and restaurants. With streetcar, or even by walking, it took about 30 minutes to get to French Quarter.
But the location was also pretty scary and dark in the evening, it wasn't that nice to walk there alone.

Service was alright, the staff people didn't talk much but weren't rude either. But there were many guys hanging round the patio, they were obviously living and working in the hostel. They often talked to me when I went by, and one of them kept asking me to go out or something (I didn't go).

The room was dirty and depressing. Long waiting before getting hot water from the shower and no wifi in the rooms. Even in lobby the wifi was really bad.
And you always have to walk through the patio to the other buildings where the rooms are. It was annoiyng, because there always was someone who disturbed you and the whole area was a bit scary.

So, next time I will stay in Marriott instead of Marquette.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank delilah1010
Reviewed 3 November 2014

I tend to not believe the reviews for hostels, because it seems like not everyone knows what they're in for when they book a hostel. However, for this hostel the reviews were spot on, and I wish we would have listened. We were a large group of 20 people, so we got out own little "house". That, the decent location and the New Orleans-y vibe of the house/courtyard were the only plus sides. The negatives definitely way outweighed the positives, though, as after our first night we found that 8 of the 20 beds were infested by bed bugs (noticed this after noticing blotches of blood on our sheets, how nice). We complained, and were told (by the apathetic, unfriendly and creepy guy manning the front desk during the day) that our sheets would be changed and our mattresses steamed. Fair enough, except after returning at 3AM the next night, we found possibly even MORE bed bugs. Four our us were able to be moved to another room, which was nice enough, but a huge hassle at that point. 8 of us got our money back for the second night. The room was also freezing, which we found out was due to one of the windows missing the glass (not a good thing in November). This is definitely not worth even the little money that it costs.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends