All reviews honor bar chartres street frette linens breakfast biscuits warm biscuits molton brown toiletries junior suite sitting room french quarter antique furnishings boutique hotel southern hospitality first floor small bathroom room number jackson square high ceilings
Reviewed 22 June 2018

I don't normally write reviews. As an event planner, I travel a lot and tend to see too many negative things. But as I leave Suite 38 of the Soniat House in the morning, I just couldn't resist. It's just a little jewel tucked away on Chartres St. Close enough to grab a beignet and coffee in the morning before the crowds but blocks away from the chaos of Bourbon Street. The property oozes authentic New Orleans charm starting with the oversized key you need to access the courtyard, Claire the house cat, the honor bar in the sitting area, the gorgeous antiques, the lush courtyard and last, but not least, the made-from-scratch biscuits (which I had last night at 10pm). Suite 38 is located on the third floor which you can access via a very unusual, itty-bitty elevator or two sets of winding staircases. Don't be scared off by the stairs. They just add to the mystique of the attic suite complete with shuttered dormer-style windows, two non-working but exquisite fireplaces, skylight over the sitting room and tasteful decor. Every time I walk through the door I need to remember I'm in New Orleans and not Paris. I shall see you again, Soniat House.

Room Tip: I loved Suite 38
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

We look forward to your next visit. How very kind of you to take the time to write such a splendid review.

Claire sends her best.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

We really enjoyed our stay at Soniat House. We also used the "midweek special" for a great room in the main part of the hotel. We loved the courtyard area, which was a wonderful oasis even when the temperatures throughout the city were blazing. It was a great place for a relaxing afternoon drink (love the honor bar), or morning breakfast before heading out. I was a little concerned with relatively few trip advisor reviews, but the experience did not disappoint at all. We were in room 25-- which was spacious enough for the two of us. Small bathroom, but sufficient. Love the turn-down service in the evening, and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. A surprisingly close, and even rather quiet walk down Chartres to the heart of the French Quarter; and also just blocks away from all of the great music venues on Frenchmen Street. For food, so many great options around, but really loved the trip across town to Cochon Butcher for lunch... hard to beat for the price, and perfect stop off point heading to the WWII museum.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jjroadster
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

We have just been notified that we have once again that we have been awarded the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence which is awarded to hotels and restaurants with the largest percentage of excellent reviews. It is not the quantity but the quality that counts.
Thank you for adding your 5 bubble review. With only 30 rooms we can't compete for number of reviews and we appreciate everyone ( well, most ).
Now that you know us, please come back soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

Lovely small (about 30 rooms) on a QUIET street in French Quarter. Great service with beautiful atmospheric rooms. Our room was across street from the main building and we preferred that.... like staying in a private home (only 10 rooms) with its own private courtyard only accessible to guests in that building.

We took advantage of a great mid-week suite special that is offered all year on their website. If your schedule permits, the special is a nice deal.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Great review. Thank you.

Congratulations on finding the mid-week special. Not only are the prices better but as you undoubtedly found out restaurants, museums, stores are all less crowded and much more enjoyable.

Come back soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Ideal for anyone who wants to experience the French Quarter in an authentic and elegant setting.
We had the pleasure of staying in one of the Grand Suites and couldnt have been happier. Quiet, clean, romantic, and welcoming.
The courtyards are wonderful, the staff superb, and we are already planning our return for next year.
Location is ideal for walking the Quarter, superb music and neat local restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Deposit received!!!!

Please don't just visit for the mega-festivals. If it is festivals that you like we have them all of the time. This past weekend was the Bayou-boogaloo. Zydeco is next in June. We also fest the French Quarter, tomatoes, oysters , crawfish, shrimp and just about anything elseyou can think of.

Come on back!!!

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

We couldn’t bring bikes into our room. Enjoyable stay but we won’t book again because of the bicycle policy. I don’t understand why we couldn’t bring up our bikes or why they couldn’t figure out some other way of keeping them safe. Lesson learned. That makes this place simply pedestrian. Bummer.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank longpatterned
Frances S, Owner at Soniat House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

I am so sorry that you won't be coming back to us because of our " no bicycle " policy. I don't know if you are referring to your own bikes or rental bikes. If they were your personal bikes we would have gladly returned them to the bike rack on your car in our very secure lot each evening. Rental bikes can be returned for overnight storage.

I wish that I could recommend a nice small hotel that permits bicycles in the guest rooms but I don't know of any.