“Great! So glad that this re-opened”

Pho Tau Bay Restaurant
Ranked #767 of 2,010 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Pho Tau Bay's history goes back to Saigon since the 1960's. There, the family patriarch, Vu Van Y and family owned 13 Pho Tau Bay restaurants. An American GI, Karl Takacs, who was stationed in Saigon, fell in love with one of Vu's daughters, Tuyet. Due to political upheaval, the family was forced to leave Saigon and come to America with Karl. After moving to various cities around the country, Tuyet and Karl settled in Louisiana, which was home to a growing Asian population. Initially, the Takacs and Cao Family(Tuyet's sister and husband), operated a stand in the Algiers Flea market until 1982 when they established their first location on the Westbank Expressway. Today, from generation to generation, the legacy of Pho Tau Bay continues.
Reviewed 31 July 2017

The pho is absolutely amazing and tastes so fresh. The broth is tasty, not too salty and the noodles are yummy. I've been wanting to try this place for the longest time and am glad that I finally did. I also had the chargrilled pork with egg cake on steamed rice. I ate every bite :)

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

Always a delight to visit Pho Tau Bay. My good friend Amy introduced me to this establishment 10+ years ago and it is still my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in the city. New location is convenient with parking readily available. Family service and great food.

Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

I love banh mi sandwiches and always get them where I can. There aren't any places at all close to where I live so when I travel I seek them out.

I got the ham and the chicken (yes I ate 2 in one meal). I liked them a lot. They weren't too saucy like at some places. The bread was great too.

The place is laid back with plenty of seating. The staff is very courteous and professional. I would eat here often if I lived close.

We walked here from our hotel close to the French Quarter on Canal, no problem.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

Stopped in here when we realized the restaurant we originally picked for dinner closed at 5:00pm that day. Cheap Vietnamese place with a good selection on their menu. I was not overly thrilled with the chicken rice dish that I had, but my friend who enjoys Vietnamese food much more than I do said he really enjoyed his order. The spring rolls were my favorite part of the meal. This restaurant does not serve alcohol, but there is a bar right down the street that we walked over to and brought drinks back while our food was being prepared.

Reviewed 16 December 2016

Now... I must say that I'm a pretty phanatical pho phan, having enjoyed phos of one kind or another, but primarily pho ga, in a couple dozen countries around the world. So during a recent trip to NOLA, I just had to stop in at Pho Tau Bay, at least partly because it's supposed to be Emeril's favorite Vietnamese joint, and may be Anthony Bourdain's, too, someone I know is a connoisseur of the cuisine. So one day we did. I had a couple of normal spring rolls and a regular sized pho ga, and my mate had a chicken banh mi. The latter was terrific - a great French bread with good fillings. The pho was perhaps half as good as the ones I get in Bluffton, SC, not far from Hilton Head, at the Saigon Cafe. The broth was okay, but not so flavorful and savory. There was plenty of rice noodles, but not so much ga. The accompanying platter of veggies was meager contrasted with Saigon Cafe and most other places I've visited, too little sprouts, very little basil leafs and no cilantro. Check the photo. A little disappointing, but okay, just okay. The menu is extensive, so I'm sure that plenty of other items are good, but since pho is like a barometer of a Vietnamese restaurant, on that basis alone I'd give them three dots. Average. It's a good place nonetheless, and I'd go back, but probably not for the pho. It's far better here in the Bluffton, SC, area, and what do celebrity chefs know, anyway?