“Starry Nights and Sunny Days”
Review of Treetops B&B Inn

Treetops B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 San Juanillo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 March 2016

This place is so magical, where to begin? It is built in the traditional Costa Rican style, so is unique and romantic and an experience like no other. I stayed up late on the deck looking at stars and listening to the waves, then swam in the ocean and bathed in the tide pools. I used every bathing suit I brought for a one night stay. I didn't sample the 5 course meal, but the smoothies were heavenly and very reasonably priced. I had the blackberry basil and one with a tropical tart fruit with mint. Karen and Jack are charming and unique, just like the property. Now, I just need to come up with a plan to buy the property next door and make that my own home away from home!!

Room Tip: I would stay in the bungalows next time, more private and a short walk across the beach to the share...
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 March 2016

First, I just read the "Wet Blanket" review and it doesn't make sense to me. The guest praises the food, the setting and the host, becomes upset at the bill and gives it an overall rating of 1 out of 5? That doesn't make sense.

I've had dinner there a few times. It is a unique experience that I cannot compare to any other. This is one of the best cooks probably in all of Costa Rica and you're sitting literally at the tree-line above one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. You have front row seats to a beautiful sunset and you (your party) are the guest of honor! I wish I could relay how wonderful the experience is through a review, but I simply can't.

"Wet Blanket" also mentioned that they thought the price included drinks, huh? So 5 star, 5 course meal, catered for dietary issues, with a setting straight out of Sunset Magazine, oh and drink all you want…? That makes no sense either. It is a business as well. I can't recall what I paid for the drinks, but considering the experience, I thought the drinks were in line, if not cheap ($11). And what restaurant have you been to that doesn't increase the price of a bottle of wine based upon the venue? Or do you usually drink wine at the supermarket?

They also mentioned being outraged by 23% service charge. Costa Rica by law adds 13% tax, so the other 10% is a service charge. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Bottom line, the experience at TreeTops is incredible. Karen is sweet and engaging (when you can get her to slow down for a bit) and Jack is a first rate story teller, with a life of interesting stories to tell. I've stayed at their B&B as well and have had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Everything has always been first rate. During one stay Jack even took me fishing, after which we had Karen prepare my catch. As fresh and tasty as it gets and a great memory. As I said, there's nothing to compare the experience to.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We did our homework but still got ripped off! Treetops B&B (aka ... Treetop Restaurant) is a scam! We met with Jack the owner who convinced us we would have a 5 course meal and drinks from heaven for $53 each. We were so excited we invited a couple friends and starved the hours prior to our reservation. I asked Karen for the check and she referred me to Jack saying he handles this part.... She disappeared with my friends while I waited for Jack. The food was great and the drinks ok but when it came to the bill I almost fell off the deck! When I questioned his accounting he went on attack! Five dinners are $265. However... the drinks are additional and at the end they add 23% on to everything! We had there heavenly cocktail and our bill ended up at $431???? They are both crooked and know you are stuck after you arrive! He says he will call the police if you don't pay in cash! There is a place for people like this and it is not up in the trees! STAY AWAY!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
5  Thank 000ColleenS000
Reviewed 7 March 2016

Having been to this area of Costa Rica many times, I've heard a great deal about this restaurant, both wonderful and, not so wonderful. One thing that I have heard consistently is that the view and the food are amazing. I have also heard that the owner is "not so cheerful," to put it mildly. As it was my friend and mine's goal to have a great meal in a beautiful area, we decided to finally take a chance and check it out. We stopped by to make reservations and feel out the situation. The man who introduced himself as the owner, Jack, came to the gate and explained how his restaurant works. They only seat one party a night. Reservations must be made in advance. His wife cooks specifically for the guests, taking into account food allergies. The price was $53. for everything. He made a point to tell us how wonderful the drinks are and what a great deal it is for for the price. My friend and I made a reservation for the following Saturday nights and invited 3 friends. The owner was so friendly we began to doubt the local rumors otherwise. We arrived on time. His wife, Karen, talked with us and serviced amazing food. The view was great and the food was even beyond expectations. Jack served us drinks. It was a very charming evening. Then Jack came out with the bill. His jovial expression was gone. His face was angry and he looked overly serious. I wondered if something bad had happened. It was very strange. Then he handed my friend the bill. The drinks were $11. each. The bottle of wine was $28. This is the same wine that we have purchased from the market just a few miles away for under $6.00. We normally wouldn't have even ordered a bottle of wine. With the understanding that everything was inclusive, why not? The real whopper to the bill was the 23.% service tax. NO restaurant in the last 4 years has charged us any more than a 13% tax and I've been to well over a dozen from Marbella to San Guiones. When my friend asked him about the drink charges and the tax, the owner immediately became confrontational. Karen was no where to be found. Jack was in my female friend's face insulting her. This, over politely expressing surprise and questioning the bill, especially the 23% tax. It certainly seemed to us that this is a typical routine for him and Karen. They lead people to believe the dining experience is all inclusive, tax on an additional 10% (That is unheard of in this area) then Karen removes herself from the area and Jack is ready to stand down anyone with questions. There was no reason for what certainly seemed like a scam and fit with local rumors of temperamental behavior from the owner. If he had made it clear that the drinks were additional, we still would have gone. He didn't need to throw a wet blanket on an otherwise special evening. As for the tax, my friend and I asked a few other restaurant owners about it, even one with a bed and breakfast. None of them have heard of a tax over 13%. To my friend and I this, and the hostile manner in which he met her questions, was confirmation that Jack intentionally mislead us about the price.

Stayed: March 2016
5  Thank Kimbra M
jack h, Owner at Treetops B&B Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2016

After reading this review we must take the time to intelligently point out how absurd it is.
First she raves about the food and ambiance (Karen has been written up in Costa Rica National Geographic as one of the best Chefs on the Pacific Coast, if not the best)
Then when she receives the bill she becomes quite angry and abusive. All of her guests (4) became embarrassed and walked away after having a fantastic dinning experience on the terrace of Tree Tops.
We serve a 5 Course Gourmet Dinner (with Chef Karen's special sauces & fusion recipes) $ 53 plus tax pp. (Where in the world can you find a 5 course gourmet dinner at this price?)
Her bill was completely itemized in English & Spanish including " CR T & S"
13% Sales Tax mandatory in the law & ONLY10% service. Which in today's world is quite low.
After she informed us of where she had previously stayed up in the jungle of San Juanillo we understood where she was coming from. I doubt if that business owned by a Canadian (who we have so many problems with in the past) reports Sales Tax & Income Tax to Costa Rica or Canada.
Our dinner has always been "prie fixe"
Not an all inclusive The bar tab has never been implied of included.( How could it logically be at this price)
Karen's Signature Special large Tropical Drinks have become Internationally famous together with her unique presentation of her cuisine

Reviewed 2 March 2016

Just let me say, that the thought and care and preparation of this five course meal is second to none! We didn't realize when we booked this meal that it was to be served in their home and it is truly a spectacular place with views that dazzle you all night long. Karen puts so much thought into the meal, you can feel it & taste it. She uses flavors so freely, that you can't believe it. It is truly wonderful! Jack prepares the cocktail of the day with the fresh fruit they grow in their orchard and serves them with such zest, you just love his stories. This is a great little secret, that really isn't one, but you can't help telling everyone. Just a lovely place to visit!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen P

Been to Treetops B&B Inn? Share your experiences!