“The vegetable Paella was amazing!”
Review of Estrellon

Estrellon
Reserve with OpenTable
Estrellon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 1,083 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Description: The latest endeavor from Chef Tory Miller, Estrellón, brings Spanish-influenced small plates and tapas to downtown Madison, with the same locally-sourced vision as L'Etoile, Graze, and Sujeo. Expect simplistically beautiful composed dishes, housemade charcuterie, incredible Iberian wines, and rich mahogany woodwork. We're proud to represent and support our local family farmers and producers. With a blend of Spanish-imported and Wisconsin-grown ingredients, the cultural and regional merging at Estrellón is a dining experience that is uniquely Madison. Reservations recommended for the Dining Room. Our open Kitchen Bar & Tapas Bar seating is first-come, first seated during our regular service hours.
Reviewed 1 March 2018

We came here for dinner last week. The service was outstanding, and the wine steward was knowledgeable and recommended an excellent red wine! It complemented our dinner very well! We had three people, and ordered two side plates and the vegetable paella for 2, and had more than enough to eat. For dessert we had the Basque cake, which had a cherry filling this month, and it was amazing, especially when paired with the last of our bottle of wine! Thank you Estrellon for a wonderful dining experience!

1  Thank Theresa H

Reviewed 27 February 2018

My husband and I visited on Sunday to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
We were first to arrive for the evening and the hostess seated us in the corner by the window. We asked to be moved, partly because I felt we weren't actually in the restaurant and had been placed there to show the restaurant was open, and partly because the window was filthy. In late winter in the late afternoon with the sun shining in a westward facing window there are blobs of dirt, salt and some unknown white substance running down the window and it just wasn't very appetizing. We also could not see the open kitchen from that vantage point that other reviews had pointed out was very entertaining.
Once seated in the middle of the restaurant we were very pleased with the decor and general feeling of the place. I had reserved on Open Table and there is place on that form to note a special event. We were greeted by our server with complimentary glasses of a very good cava. We placed our order for the dinner for two ($90.00) and a wine flight ($35.00 each).
Even though we had a primary server, during the course of the meal nearly every server in the place, and even the hostess, brought out one of the courses. All were very knoweldgable about the dishes and if they didn't know the answer to the question, they went and asked. This was very impressive. For example, we found the manchego in the croquettes to be very mild and asked if it was sourced locally. The server didn't know, but soon returned to let us know, yes, it was a Wisconsin Manchego.
All of the offered tapas were delightful. We've been to Spain many times and found them to be in the general spirit of authentic tapas. The tortilla was a little eggy, but the octopus was very tasty. The carrots were great. The aioli that accompanied many of the dishes was very fresh and tasty.
The paella, labelled as Valencian style, was nicely done if not complelely authentic. We missed the rabbit and peas, but the seafood was good. The chicken was a little dry. It was very pretty and we were reminded to scrape the good stuff from the bottom of the pan.
Meanwhile, the wine kept coming and there wasn't a single pour we were disappointed in.
The Basque cake with cherries and sour cream custard was quite good as was the after dinner sherry that came with the wine flights.
Our only disappointment was with the espresso. We ordered from one server, but our main server brought us the bill after a bit and we told her we had ordered coffee and she hadn't known about that. That's a danger when there is "gang" serving. I had heard the coffee beans being ground about 10 minutes prior so I knew the preperation was underway, but when the coffee finally arrived it was stone cold and very bitter.
We would like to try the bar area sometime for their offerings that are generally different from the main restaurant.

1  Thank Evansthecat
Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

We tried the $45/person dinner and highly recommend - gives exposure to lots of things to try and reduced the decision making! Amazing list of wine - Tempranillo selection was impressive! The dessert was amazing - Basque Cake with Door County cherries ! Yum!
We sat at the bar overlooking all the kitchen action. Highly recommend!
Only negative was quit a few carbs (felt bad couldn’t eat it all).
Excellent service! Well prepared and presented.

1  Thank Peggy E
Reviewed 6 February 2018

This was an alternative to Eno Vino, a well known tapas place where we failed to make a reservation and faced with a 3 hour wait. I hear the view at Eno Vino is spectacular (not heard as much about the food) but a 15 minute wait at Estrellon seemed much more reasonable than a 3 hour wait. Though there is no view of the capital building at this place, there is still a level of ambience that adds to the overall enjoyment of the meal itself. High ceilings, some old world charm and a dining room presented with an open kitchen was warm and pleasant enough for me.
We were very pleased with Chef Tory's "Dinner for 2" a 7 course meal that you absolutely must try! (If you visit their website you will see that Chef Tory is an IRON CHEF winner).
The beginning and end were my most memorable and savorable dishes: Charred Carrots -I had no idea what harissa was or whether or not it goes well with pepita yogurt & pumpkin seed oil but I could have easily made a meal out of this dish alone! The end dish - dessert was basque cake. I was so full by the time this dessert came but despite this rich, dense cake, pears & cream, I had no choice but to eat it, it was SO good. All in between were varying levels of goodness - the grilled octopus having the least amount of good taste for me. Nevertheless, I would highly recommend this restaurant and the dinner for 2 - it is a fun & delightful way to experiment with all the wonderful tastes Estrellon has to offer. I enjoyed a half bottle of Adelsheim Pinot with my dinner - the part that made the meal fun!
The service was pretty good with bringing out dishes in a timely manner - not on top of each other but just enough pause in between each dish. It can be a science trying to serve so this many dishes in one sitting. I was impressed. The only time we really had to wait a bit was for dessert and that was because a party of 10 had just walked in unexpectedly.
We will definitely return, if we ever return to the city!

1  Thank nomadsister
Reviewed 2 December 2017

Keep in mind that I live in a much more expensive city than Madison, so you might not agree with me when I say this was one of the finer restaurant meals I've had, and at a very reasonable price.

Two different Spaniards have taught me how to make a Spanish tortilla, but I was blown away by what I had--confited potatoes between fluffy, perfectly cooked eggs. It was just fantastic, almost like Japanese tomago.

The room is beautiful and the service was friendly and competent. You can sit at a bar and watch your food being prepared. We loved it.

I'm an expatriate Madisonian, and I hear a lot of condescending things about Midwestern food. This is the first meal I will think of when I protest, though truth be told, Madison truly is a great restaurant city.

2  Thank David L