“Amazing Spanish Cuisine With a Twist”
Review of Estrellon

Estrellon
Reserve with OpenTable
Estrellon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 1,099 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Description: The latest endeavor from Chef Tory Miller, Estrellón, brings Spanish-influenced small plates and tapas to downtown Madison, with the same locally-sourced vision as L'Etoile, Graze, and Sujeo. Expect simplistically beautiful composed dishes, housemade charcuterie, incredible Iberian wines, and rich mahogany woodwork. We're proud to represent and support our local family farmers and producers. With a blend of Spanish-imported and Wisconsin-grown ingredients, the cultural and regional merging at Estrellón is a dining experience that is uniquely Madison. Reservations recommended for the Dining Room. Our open Kitchen Bar & Tapas Bar seating is first-come, first seated during our regular service hours.
Reviewed 8 July 2017

I came here with my boyfriend for a special occasion dinner and it did not disappoint! I would say that Estrellon serves up some of the best Spanish cuisine I've ever had. The seafood paella is excellent if you're a seafood lover – lots of fresh fish and incredible flavors. You can tell that the chefs pay attention to little details, with every ingredient meshing together seamlessly for an exquisite dish. We also tried some of the more creative appetizers (fried guacamole...yum!!!) and sliced jamón....everything was delicious.

Overall, Estrellon is an excellent choice for fine dining Spanish fare. It's a perfect place to go for a fancy night out or a romantic dinner!

1  Thank NicoleC5876

Reviewed 28 June 2017

We were visiting Madison so decided to try this tapas restaurant; unfortunately, there is little good to be said. Started with the host who greeted us. My wife inquired if street parking immediately outside the restaurant was ok and his reply was "I'm not a parking expert - I know about the restaurant". Our group of seven was immediately seated at a spacious table. Our waitress thoroughly described the menu and advised what dishes were or could be gluten-free for one member of our party. She asked if we had time constraints for a show, concert, etc., which we did not, so she encouraged us to look over the menu and take our time. She promptly returned with the drink order and began to take our order. After ordering a few starters, she gave a strange look and asked if that was all we planned to have. I said we were just starting with these and would order more as we went through the dinner. She said the kitchen staff really preferred that everything be ordered at once so "they could properly stage the delivery". We have eaten at tapas restaurants all over the world and I NEVER heard of that ordering approach. So, we ordered additional items and settled in for an enjoyable meal.
Food delivery lagged and when it did come portions were extremely small, bland and grossly overpriced. We ordered the albondigas, asparagus (only dish that had a creative presentation and taste}, baked goat cheese, beets, four croguetas, gambas al ajillo (not bad), olive bread, scallops, sugar snap peas (with some wierd Asian approach) and pan con tomatoe. Re: pricing, each croquet was smaller than a golf ball (too small to effectively share) for $3 each. I had iced tea served in a very small glass and what I thought was a refill - turns out I paid $4 for each of these. To top it off, a small cup of butter for $2 had to be ordered separately for the couple of small slices of olive bread for $4. I do not at all mind paying a reasonable to higher price for good food in a nice atmosphere - Estrellon misses the mark on almost all aspects of a great dining experience. Will not be back.

2  Thank irishkilt71
Reviewed 21 June 2017

This was my second trip to Estrellon, and I wasn't disappointed. The first time we had tapas in the bar, but the bar menu seems to have decreased, so this time we opted to eat in the dining room. We brought friends who are also foodies and so got to sample many of the dishes using the tapas approach. Would thoroughly recommend the paella, the mussels special, abondigas, a heavenly chicken with salsa verde, and the traditional potato omelet. Their wine selection features many treats, and you can't go wrong with the riojas. Service is excellent and we were able to have a leisurely experience and still meet our theater time. My only complaint is that they didn't open until 430 pm on Sunday, and we had a 630 performance. We had hoped to enjoy the Basque cake again, but because of the timing couldn't fit in in before showtime, and they closed at 9 pm (same time show let out). Maybe consider extended hours (earlier and later) on nights when there is a performance at Overture?? Estrellon is so convenient for these events, and so good!

Reviewed 11 June 2017

James Beard award-winning executive chef Tory Miller has made it a trifecta in Madison, Wisconsin -- AGAIN! Full Disclosure: my wife and I are unabashed fans of Executive Chef Tory Miller. After taking over the established Madison restaurant L'Etoile, he ventured on his own wth Graze, Sujeo and then Estrellon. We live near Madison and have many times dined at Chef Miller's Madison restaurants. And we have never been disappointed. But we had not had the opportunity until very recently to visit his newest venture — Estrellon. We went with another couple, friends of ours who also had not yet been to Estrellon. All four of us (one a vegetarian) were delighted with the total experience. We started with a sangria in the bar. It made the 90 degree temperature outside fade from memory. It was refreshing, tangy, fruity and grapefruit based - an in-house concoction of the bartender. We then moved to the dining room for the main event. My wife and I shared an appetizer of Jamón Ibérico, tomato jam, and relish on bruschetta, and a large plate of Pulpo a la Gallega (grilled octopus). For our main dish we selected the Valenciana paella which included roasted chicken, chorizo, shrimp, mussels and clams on a base of bomba rice. The socarrat was perfect — nicely carmellized with just the right amount of crispness. The wine list provided variety not only for the pallet, but also for the pocketbook. On the recommendation of our server, we chose a slightly chilled Albarino from Galicia in northern Spain. It was a perfect match for all components of our meal, especially the shellfish on the paella — think Marlbourgh sauvignon blanc without the fruitiness, but bold with minerality. For dessert we decided to share (the meal was very filling) a house speciality - Basque cake. I won’t try to describe it for you other than to say that it is a finale to the Estrellon experience not to be missed! Bon appetit!

In addition to the excellent food, our server (Christiana) was professional, courteous, very knowledgeable and personable. She answered our questions thoroughly and thoughtfully and made suggestions or recommendations (wine and dessert) when asked; she was helpful, but never pushy. She graciously relocated us to a different table when the bright sunshine through the un-shaded windows became blinding and extremely hot.

The decor is modern and the dining room became a bit loud when the tables filled. But we were easily able to carry on a conversation at our table without raising our voices.

On our way home from the restaurant my wife and I talked about what items on the menu we might try on our next visit. She joins me in saying, "If you haven't been to Estrellon yet, GO!'

When we want to go out for fine dining, we evaluate food, wine and service. Estrellon rates a trifecta of 5 stars in all three categories, as do the other three of Chef Miller's Madison restaurants.

1  Thank Travelerbfm
Reviewed 22 May 2017

Booked a table for date night with my wife. We decided to get in early and enjoy a cocktail before dinner. The bar was slow on this Saturday night which was nice but surprising. We ordered a Sazerac and Brown Derby. with the Salmon appetizer both drinks were made very well and tasted great, not burnt! The food came out quickly and tasted wonderful. The bartenders were both chatty and engaged us in just the right amount of small talk. They had good things to say about the chef, they seemed genuine in their enjoyment. Just before our reservation time, I went to the host and informed him we were in the bar, he said he would have a nice table ready in a few minutes. We were seated shortly and had a great view out the windows. The server helped us with the wine list and menu suggestions. We went for a 2011 Rioja, which was probably a bit past prime but still a good value. After the server took our order she asked about food allergies and if we had plans for a show or anything so she could make sure we got out in time. (Nice touch) Started with a Wisconsin Cheese board, that had a selection of 3 cheeses. Then the main course was the Valenciana Paella which smelled almost as good as it tasted. We were tempted with dessert, and a port to finish off a wonderful date. No phones (except for the pictures) and a wonderful experience. We will definitely return to try their happy hour specials and those buns on the menu.

1  Thank Eric J