“Perfect spot for a night in Madison”

Best Western Premier Park Hotel
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Madison
Dubuque, Iowa
“Perfect spot for a night in Madison”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

An amazing location for a night in Madison. Great location for accessibility to State Street, Monona Terrace, and the Capital. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and kind. The vallet drivers were quick and efficient. Our room was a king sized suite and was great. We had a gorgeous view of the Capital! I would really recommend upgrading. It was a romantic and fantastic night. If I were to criticize the hotel for anything it would be the light in the bathroom was just slightly challenging to find when we first got there. The other would be that it was a game night and there were a lot of people on the Capital Square that night and we could head the "rowdy" ones who who celebrating the Badger victory.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank mattnjennie14
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into the issue with the bathroom light switch as well. Come see us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Milwaukee
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Having stayed here before, I knew what to expect: a spacious, comfortable room and a great location on the capitol square. I've lucked out in the past with rooms overlooking the beautiful state capitol; however, this time my room overlooked the center of the hotel. I should have asked for a room with a view. That said, my room was nice, and I had a coffeemaker and a good tv. I also enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant one morning (not included in the room rate). This is an older property, and there are some strange quirks, like having to take two elevators to get to my floor. The hotel was very busy, and the bell/valet service was harried. Perhaps they were understaffed? At any rate, I would stay here again, but I would ask for a room with a view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the capitol.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you for staying with us again. Our top floor is the only one that requires the second elevator as the floor was once an elegant penthouse home for a Madison family. That Capitol view is beautiful, isn't it? Please do request a room with a view, we will be happy to accomodate you when possible.
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed here in mid-October while attending a conference at another nearby Madison hotel. This hotel offered over $50 in savings per night with AAA discount versus the conference venue, and was only a block away. It was a no-brainer to book here. I found the room comfortable and well-appointed, and the service staff did a good job with tidying up - my friend and I had a room with 2 double beds on the 5th floor. The window overlooks a bustling pedestrian street and is directly across from a college bar, so on Friday night we did have a bit of noise coming up from below. But that might be the case in lots of places in Madison.

The only complaint I have is that my friend and I both suffered terrible allergy symptoms the entire time we were at this hotel. We were both sneezing our heads off and had itchy, watery eyes. By looks alone, the room was clean and well taken care of. I wonder if the A/C system could use a new filter or something. Anyway, overall I'd stay here again if I had to be in Madison, as the price was good. I might bring some allergy meds :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank nolaJP
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Thank you for staying with us on your visit to Madison and for providing this review. Your comments allow us the opportunity to correct any issues so that future guests have the warm, comfortable experience that is our goal.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 November 2011

This is a very nice hotel that was convenient to everything. We did not have trouble finding
it off the interstate,right downtown(next to the State Capital building.) We took a nice walk
around town. We walked to Lake Mendota (on one side of town) and Lake Monona (on the other) they were beautiful and worth the trip to Madison. We had a delicious dinner at the
hotel restaurant.There is no free breakfast offered, but that was not a problem for us.The
staff was friendly and the room was clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Lynn, thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I'm glad you had time to enjoy the lakes, they are one of Madison's many treasures.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 October 2011

The Inn on the Park bills itself as the only hotel directly on Madison's Capitol Square. And if that is important to you, by all means stay here. You can't beat the convenience if you have business right there or want to be able to walk to tons of bars and restaurants around the square and down the State Street mall that are right outside the front door. 15 minute brisk walk to the east side of the UW campus, add 10 more minutes to the Kohl Center and another 10-15 minutes to Camp Randall. Might be too far of a walk to the latter for some, but I do it.

The Inn on the Park is an older hotel whose room updates have been kept fairly current, and are clean and comfortable, nothing fancy. Most rooms have mini fridges, but don't have desks - instead there is a table to serve as workspace if needed. There was a shortage of accessable electrical outlets to plug in and recharge all of those personal electronics. My bathroom was tiny. It might be a classic some day, but the last common area update, while well maintained, is just plain dated. It would appear they're holding out for classic status rather than update that.

There are other nice hotel options just a block or two off the square too that are equally convenient that, all other things being equal, I prefer. I usually stay at the Inn on the Park when other downtown choices are booked or if the room rate here is a measurably better deal. When doing your value assessment don't forget to factor in their free valet parking. Some of the other downtown hotels charge handsomely for that privilege. Don't hesitate to stay here if they are offering a better rate or if some of the other downtown choices don't have availability for your dates.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room with a view of the Capitol.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
George W, General Manager at Best Western Premier Park Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding the shortage of electrical outlets in your room. That is something we will look into immediately.