All reviewsthirsty goatfish hatcheryfull kitchengrocery store across the streetwithin walking distancetwo burner stovenice kitchenettean extended stay hotelrooms are basicluggage racknice towelscomfortable temperaturegood nights sleeplaundry roomunderground parkingfront desk personquiet area
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

This hotel used to clean, modern and reasonable. Now it's old, run down, dirty and expensive! I used to recommend it. The room I had is fine. It's just rundown with stains and terrible patching jobs. The tv remote is so confusing!! I still can't figure it out. Thank god the last person using it had on CNN, when I had to turn on the tv, on the tv. The lobby needs new carpet. Basically the hotel needs a make over. If it was 89 a night. I wouldn't complain but I paid 150! I can stay in really nice hotels for that but Madison was booked!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Madison Fitchburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2016

Dear Martyn G,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write a review. I truly regret that you found our facilities and amenities to be run down from the time you visited. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience these aspects have caused. As a valued guest, please be assured that all comments will be raised up to management and will be a basis for future upgrade. We hope you will consider us again and see the improvements made.

Dianne L

Reviewed 17 September 2016

The hotel used to keep up appearances in the front parts of the building, but they don’t even bother with that any more. Their damaged van was parked in front of the hotel for days. The carpeting in the elevator has tears that can catch high heels when guests return to their rooms after events in the convention room. The cooking garbage from my room sat in the hall for days. I think the reason that Candlewood’s Professional photos on TripAdvisor are very different from the Traveler photos is that the hotel spends just enough on maintenance to promote itself.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor at the end of the hall to avoid hearing too many neighbors or too much music from the conference facility.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Madison Fitchburg, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Dear Sue H,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have noticed with the condition and cleanliness of our property. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

When one hears 'suite' as part of the name of a hotel, one perhaps expects more than just a kitchenette. So, my rating reflects both my slight disappointment as well as my expectation of a bit more. In reality, this is an 'extended stay' hotel. What that means, as the desk clerk points out upon checkin, is that you will not have any maid service and if you want clean towels, you will have to bring the used ones down to the desk to exchange them. Sort of like a hostel, I guess!

The cost is similar to any other medium-level hotel, so you have to decide if having a refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and microwave is worth making your own bed, reusing your towels, making your own breakfast (there is none provided; just coffee) and sharing the single elevator (4 floors) with the trash and housekeeping carts.

The room/suite size is generous. I shared a room with my sister one night; a standard 2-bed room (not a suite) with a kitchenette and desk/table. The second night, I shared an actual suite (separate bedroom) with my husband. Lots of space; living room with TV, kitchenette, same sized bath as the double room, decent sized closet, desk/table.

The overall condition is a bit tired--lots of dings in the walls and so-so paint job. The lobby is large and looks that way because there are very little furnishings. The pool is small; hot tub is...hot. There is a free-of-charge guest laundry and a lending room with crockpots, etc., things one might need if on an extended stay.

Bed was fairly comfortable, but with cheesy/chintzy linens. Lots of pillows. There are several restaurants in the area which is good because unless you bring food or buy it from their 'pantry,' you will have to go out for meals. Some restaurants and a grocery store are within walking distance.

The bathroom is standard issue--in both rooms, the toilet seat didn't seem to be firmly attached. The exhaust fan sounds like a plane taking off and didn't really exhaust the steam after a shower. Soap and shampoo are adequate size (because they will have to last you the entire week if you stay that long!).

Desk staff was polite and helpful, though I requested early check in the second day and didn't get it as my room was occupied (were ALL the rooms occupied??). When I did get into the room, the dishwasher was running....

The halls smell heavily of whatever cleaning products are used and it is not a good smell. My first room also smelled like that, the second one did not. Some hall noise is noticeable, outside noise is not.

Room Tip: At the end of the hall would be the quietest and on the top floor (more overhead noise is noticeable than from adjoining rooms)
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Madison Fitchburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2016

Dear wynterwynd,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are pleased to know you liked the location of our hotel. We would like to apologize for the unusual smell of our hallways and the condition of our overall facility was not to your liking. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

Wrapping up a month long stay for business, friendly hotel staff, no major dificulties with the exception of housekeeping continually missing my scheduled weekly cleaning and me having to stop at the desk once a week to get them to attend to my room, Checked in on a Tuesday, after one week, no cleaning, Wednesday morning mentioned it as I was getting my coffee by the front desk, he says he will take care of it, that night, cleaned, new sheets, etc. Next Tuesday, nothing. Same talk with the same desk clerk on Wednesday, says he'll fix it, clean that night. Third week, same thing, although this time I am told that I am on the list, but it is now Wednesdays, room cleaned. Fourth week, End of day Wednesday, and no housekeeping service, I give up trying to get them to do a simple once a week cleaning without prompting, It is really a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, but it is their livelihood and one might expect them to fix their problem after a solid month of me reminding them every single time. In addition, the front desk accidently coded a newly checked in guest with keys and directions to my room, it was a bit unnerving to have my door open unexpectedly when I was sleeping late at night and have someone entering my room. These things happen from time to time (I am in hotels close to 300 nights a year and it is not the first time that has happened to me), but it really seems that both issues revolve around shoddy/lazy record keeping. I will be looking elsewhere for my Madison lodging needs in the future.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business

Dear Construction_Jake,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Please allow us to apologize for the level of service you received from our staff and the unexpected experience you had with your room. It is with deep regret that we fell below your expectations. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into.

Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

A restful night at Candlewood Suites was just what we needed after an exhausting trip on the freeway. The rooms were very clean and attractive. The location was convenient and we were able to get recharged before resuming our trip.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family