“Good for food, pass on drinks”
Review of A La Brasa

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
A La Brasa
Ranked #443 of 1,083 Restaurants in Madison
Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

A friend who is a regular at La Brasa finally got me out to try it. Cute little hole in the wall ran by a couple. We dined outside. We had a choice of only dirty tables. I was confused when waitress told me that the Pina Colada had tequila in it but I ordered it with rum instead and was stop awful. After sending that back I ordered a Mexican Coke although my friend's grapefruit soda was better if I had to order again. We got a couple orders of guac and chips to share which was good. House salsa was a bit too spicy for me. I ordered the asada chimichanga which was delicious! Friend said her corn tortillas were very dry, but other than that everyone else seemed to like their food. Was difficult to get a hold of waitress and service was pretty slow for the amount of guests. If I went back I'd probably just order takeout.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

The staff were very friendly when we scoped this place out, so we took my dad here so he could have a nice margarita while he waited for us to run the Twilight 10K. He was quite disappointed; they served him a very watered-down margarita. Why would they do this?

Reviewed 13 June 2016

It was on my way between the hotel and the University. Standard menu; the usual enchiladas, tacos, burritos. Friendly staff. Full bar.

Reviewed 18 February 2016

I like A La Brasa. I like the food. I like the quiet, polite server. I like the prices.

There's not much seating. We saw a lot of people get take-out. There's a pretty large space where it seems like another table or two could go, but it is actually used for people to stand as they line up at the counter to order, pick-up and pay for their food. There's no parking. It's a limited menu. The decor is austere. They don't give you chips and salsa.

However, there is a constant stream of people coming in to get food. That's because the prices are right, the food is good, and it's quick. I'm not going to take anyone there to impress them, but I am going to go there often to get a good meal.

Reviewed 12 November 2015 via mobile

On this return trip, I remembered why I kept saying I wanted to go back. The owner was attentive and the food delicious. The al pastor and asada tacos were full of meat and flavor and the salsa had just the right heat. Centrally located to Overture and downtown.