“Downtown Gem”

Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Description: Dotty Dumpling's Dowry is a Madison institution favored by the locals for over 40 years. Located in the heart of downtown, Dotty's offers award winning hamburgers, Friday fish fry, homemade soups and chili, fresh salads and so much more! Cozy up in a booth or at the bar and pick from 24 Wisconsin craft beers on tap while enjoying some Blues or Motown music in the back round. Dotty's is a Madison tradition enjoyed by guests of all ages!
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

The Dottie Dumpling Dowry Restaurant is just the kind of rustic place I love to find. We were seated promptly and our hostess was outgoing and quickly took care of our selections. My wife, brother and sister- in -law ordered hamburgers with different toppings. They all were juicy and very tasty. We all ordered New Glarus Spotted Cows taps for our drinks of choice. If you like a rustic "cheers" atmosphere, this is a place to enjoy a great burger.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Great staff. Cheese curds were light and tasty. The “Gambler” burger was perfect. Onion rings were crisp and awesome. Very cool atmosphere. Eclectic and fun.

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

Only had one day in Madison and made Ditty’s the first stop. Very good burgers and onions rings. My wife and I both had the Melting Pot. Both daughters had kid’s cheese burger and gave good reviews. Definitely a place to go for burgers in Madison.

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Started off with the cheese curds...they were very good!

We each had a burger. The melting pot burger was very good! The other burger was a Runnelstone but I wouldn’t get it again. The burger was juicy but I found it lacked the flavour of the melting pot burger. I would definitely come back for that burger.

The fries were a bit of a let down. They were very fresh but I found them soggy. They lacked the crispiness of other burger joints.

The service was also good.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We were headed home and looking for a place to eat. When traveling, we try to hit local restaurants. My friend found this place and a burger sounded good. Unfortunately, we didn't realize it was located in the middle of Madison and a bit difficult to get to and then back to the interstate. However, after eating there, we felt it was worth the trip and time. Also, parking is pretty non-existent. Some street parking is available and there is a parking deck down the street. I don't know if it is open to the public or part of the university. Our server was very prompt and pleasant. They do serve the burgers with pink in the middle. I'm OK with some pink in the middle but wish I would have asked for it to be cooked a bit more as it was closer to rare. Once I picked up my burger, I couldn't set it back down in the basket due to the amount of liquid. Also, don't let it sit in the basket when you get it or the bun will be soggy. The burgers had a very good flavor. Pickles are served on the side and they were amazing, we asked for extra. Would definitely eat here again if we are in the area.