“Unique place, excellent food for meat lovers”

A Pig in a Fur Coat
Ranked #20 of 1,096 Restaurants in Madison
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean comfort food drawing inspiration from Spain, France and Italy, we offer shared plates in a cozy communal dining experience.
Reviewed 20 September 2018

This is a cute little restaurant with very unique tasting dishes. It offers small plates and large plates. Every dish we tried was delicious. The gnocchi might be my favorite. This restaurant is all about meat, so it would not be ideal for vegetarians. Oddly, they have no salads with greens available and they are a bit stingy with bread, Otherwise, it is a first-rate establishment. They offered a decadent dessert of 3 small donuts filled with steaming chocolate, covered with more hot chocolate, which was good to share. Very rich, but delicious. This is a great place to go to and share dishes.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

This place served a wonderful meal. Everything was very rich. The steak with lentils was a favorite! My husband stated he could have just eaten the lentils, which were made with veal broth and bone marrow. The octopus and the foie gras were also wonderful! The beets gave a fresh element to the meal that wasn't as rich, but definitely flavorful. My husband stated the beer list was varied and had some options that he liked. They did not have many options for non alcoholic drinks despite having a "mocktail" on their menu, although they did make something that was fresh. The atmosphere was great for having a conversation. Definitely someplace you can dress up for or go more casually. Really we enjoyed our meal there!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

Wow. This wonderful restaurant hit all the buttons with perfection. What a wonderful find in Madison. The decor is simple and unassuming, the music is at just the right volume and the waitstaff is helpful and attentive. The beer selection is varied enough that there is something for everyone's tastes. The charcuterie and cheese platter is just enough of a taste to start out a wonderful dinner. The pork belly addition to the scallops is enough smoke and salt to highlight the beautifully prepared scallops. The foie gras is smooth and with the addition of the fig is just perfect. Sunflower shoots add interest to the pork belly. All in all just a wonderful place to have an evening meal.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 1 September 2018

I've eaten here a couple times - on both occasions, I've left with the feeling that I overpaid for a meal that just doesn't pass muster with this type of restaurant and pricing. They are supposed to be known for their excellent pork here - however - in two of our dishes, the pork was overcooked so it was either too crunchy or simply didn't melt in your mouth - it was tough. We had the scallops as our main - only 3 scallops served, with pork on top which was overdone, for $27. The octopus with "pork head" and mole sauce was more promising, yet the "head" was cooked to a crisp and had that burnt kind of taste going on. Tasty, but not quite right. Was really expecting more with this place - even the beer was served in a very tiny glass. I was still hungry when we left, only having shared an app, a small plate and a main - but paying close to $100 with only 2 drinks! Like many Madison restaurants, this one suffers from high priced mediocrity.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

I think my wife and I have been there 4 times now and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s my favorite restaurant. The last few times we’ve done the tasting menu with the wine pairings and have been thrilled. I think that it’s been one of the owners that’s dont the wine pairings the last two times and they’ve been great. The steak and lentils, the donuts with the foie gras and fig jam, the gnocchi with veal, and the carrot risotto have all been stand outs but it’s all been really good. We live out of state now but make a point to go here whenever we are in town. Excited to see the new shop as well.

Date of visit: July 2018