“Fantastic for meat or seafood lovers”
Review of Tempest Oyster Bar

Tempest Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Tempest Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 1,099 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

We had a great meal at Tempest Oyster bar. Our selection of 5 types of oysters pleased everyone at the table. The hanger steak was perfectly cooked to my specifications. The wine list was extensive as was the beer list. The salmon was cooked crispy to my sister's request. My husband loved the rainbow trout. My son loved the steak Oscar. The was nothing left on our plates!!!! It was so good!

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Bravo to the staff at The Tempest! What a great stop for those who love food in Madison! We had a sampler of multiple fried seafood, a Shrimp Cocktail and scallops in a maple sauce! The shrimp were huge and tender!

We had the shrimp and grits, the double pork chop, the filet, strip steaks and the steak and lobster special! Wow! All were great! Even down to the burger for my 19 year old!

Dessert was even better with the Carmel cream and Key Lime Pie.

Service was great! The bar staff made a solid drink, the waitress, Nicki, was a treat. Knowledgeable, friendly and sweet all in one! We even gave her a hug when we left.

Nice to see the owner was on sight checking in with his staff and customers as well.

Reviewed 23 September 2018

This is an excellent restaurant that specializes in seafood and in particular an extensive selection of oysters. We were there on Saturday night of a UW football weekend and business was brisk. Everyone at our table was pleased with their entree and my whole broiled lobster was done to perfection, not too dry. The service was a little slow, which worked well for us given we were looking for a leisurely dinner with old friends. My only suggestion is that they need to add some sound suppression to the walls. For those of us with impaired hearing conversation could be hard to track.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Made reservation here because heard was same owners as Tornado Room - still don’t know if that’s true? We love Tornado Room so had high hopes for this restaurant. Best item any of us had was probably the appetizer Fruits de Mer. We all fought over it. They were out of the beer on tap my husband wanted. I had shrimp/scallops/grits. Scallops were good. Hubby had king crab legs for $55 and thought they were a little over-steamed. Friend had skirt steak and was not overly impressed.

Reviewed 30 August 2018 via mobile

Not only is there seafood in Wisconsin, there’s excellent seafood in Wisconsin. Went with some business colleagues while in town. We sampled the oysters and then jumped in for the main course. I had the mahi mahi with asparagus and it was exceptional. Very fresh and just perfectly prepared. Our server was very knowledgeable and took very good care of us. They also have a great selection of local beer and wine on the menu.