All reviews lake mendota relaxation pool resort fee boathouse restaurant ice rink beautiful hotel floor to ceiling windows self parking a lake view room beautiful room room service state street restaurants and bars walk in shower fitness center king room capitol building
Reviewed 17 August 2016

My girlfriend and I rented this hotel by mistake, due to a similar name mixing us up. When we realized what happened (after the refund window closed), we contacted the hotel to see if anything could be done. Initially, they told us no. I called to speak with a manager, and was passed on to "Mike, the Operations Manager." When I explained the situation to Mike, he told me that we'd be able to work out a refund--he said it would come soon, and to contact him if it didn't. Well, the refund never came. A subsequent call and e-mail weren't returned. I understand that the refund policy window had closed, but the ethics of hotel management lying about a refund is unacceptable.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank gmrussell85
asupinmadison, General Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2016

Dear gmrussell85,

Thank you so much for you response on your experience with The Edgewater. I am so sorry for the inconvenience and the miscommunication. I have been in contact with Mike Tonsfeldt and he has assured me that it is being taken care of and has offered the extension to get in contact with him again, you can reach him at (608) 535-8200. Again sorry for the inconvenience and we hope that you can stay with us again on the shores of Lake Mendota. If there is any more problems please contact the hotel and have them direct you to myself or anyone else in the management team we would be happy to help!

The Edgewater Team.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

My husband and I stayed at the Edgewater for 3 nights. We had stayed there years ago and while lovely it was a tired hotel. Now it is completely renovated and each room in the Wisconsin building looks out over Lake Mendota and the windows are huge. So it feels more like a cruise ship vista than a typical hotel room view. The rooms are very comfortable and the bathrooms are a delight: spacious and well lit. We enjoyed breakfast and late lunches for causal dining, all the while enjoying the water view. And we had a lovely dinner in the Statehouse. We found staff helpful, friendly and willing to go the extra "step" to make sure that our visit was delightful.I making the reservation, I called the hotel directly and received a better rate than the one posted on the travel sites.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
asupinmadison, General Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Dear Andrea1435,

Thank you for your review on your stay at The Edgewater! We are happy that you stayed with us before and after the renovations. Did you know that with our renovation that we actually went along with the original plans set in the 1940s for the original building (Langdon Building). In the original plans they wanted public access to the water, an 11th floor, a grand entrance and a ceiling to floor windowed restaurant while looking like a steamship. We wanted to make the original vision of this hotel a reality and we went along with the same concept with the newer building (the Wisconsin Building). We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and thought the staff went above and beyond, your compliments will be forwarded to our team for their much deserved praise. We hope to have you join with us again on the shores of Lake Mendota!

Reviewed 16 August 2016

The location and views are stellar, the rooms are beautiful. The finer elements of customer service and room condition fell very short of expectations:

1) We confirmed a crib ahead of time but it wasn't ready upon check-in at 8 pm. A pop-up style bed was dropped at the door with no sheets. Had to call desk again to figure out how to set it up. Had to speak with desk a third time to finally get sheets. No one bothered to apologize. 2) Lock on balcony door was broken and no grating on the opera-style balcony (i.e. a toddler would fall straight out of the door) meant it was impossible to relax with a toddler in the room. 3) Found a used disposable razor on the floor in the bathroom - really?!

Room Tip: Not kid friendly
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank quantspeed
asupinmadison, General Manager at The Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

Dear quantspeed,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at The Edgewater. I will be discussing this manner with the rest of the management team and I will address this situation immediately. We strive here at The Edgewater to ensure that our guests feel at home and I apologize for any inconvenience that you had suffered while your stay here. Thank you again for your response and we hope to have you here again soon on the shores of Lake Mendota!

Reviewed 16 August 2016

Lakeview premier room has outstanding view of the lake to watch the sunset. Very spacious room with comfortable seating for 2. Bathroom is fabulous-double sinks and large vanity area. Quiet hotel. No hallway noise. Room service was speedy and very good for a late night dinner. Statehouse restaurant was spectacular. Very attentive service. Lots of public patio space to sit outside to enjoy the lake view and breezes with a cold adult beverage.

Room Tip: Must get a lakeview room if you want to escape and relax!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear BrookfieldTraveler16,

Thank you for your review of The Edgewater! We here at The Edgewater want our guests to feel at east when they come to visit here. We are delighted that your stay was relaxing and comfortable, and the food was off the charts for your stay as well. I will pass along your compliments to our in room service dining and also The Statehouse. We hope to have you here again soon on the shores of Lake Mendota!

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

This is the best place to stay in Madison. The view from hotel is magnificent. Starbucks Coffee in the lobby. Great restaurants. perfect view of the capital
Enjoy the summer. Sit on the patio and enjoy the view with a glass of wine.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear rae817,

Thank you for your lovely review of The Edgewater! We bask in the views that our property has to over especially with a sunset and a little music to go along with it. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here and you loved sitting on the patio while enjoying a nice glass of wine.