“1st Trip Good, 2nd Not So Much”

National 9 Inn Sand Canyon
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Cortez
Reviewed 30 May 2017

In general I like this place. It is one of the cheapest hotels in Cortez. My first visit, the cost was less (I came the second time on Memorial weekend). I was disappointed with the lack of internet (it kept dropping), the fuzziness of the tv channels (not all), the toilet seemed to have a loose handle for flushing. Other than that, the bed was comfortable, though I had to run the fan so I wouldn't hear the loud refrigerator. That could have been solved by unplugging if I didn't have a drink in there. I would go back, but I keep having a problem with the internet, I might just go elsewhere in the future, that is a deal beaker for me.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 May 2017

I called the hotel directly in advance to reserve a queen bed for $59, their lowest price. Upon checking in, they gave me my credit card receipt, which was $11.09 greater than it should have been. This was because they put us in a king-size bed, which they charge $10 more for. As they had already processed my credit card, it was too late to change it, they said. They didn't provide a breakdown of the room charges (i.e. room plus tax), just the credit card slip. When I said to the manager whom I spoke with that my reservation was for a queen bed for $59 plus tax, he gave me $5 cash back. But he should have given me $11.09 back. I didn't quibble over the additional $6.09, but I have experienced this type of "bait and switch" routine before. Then, around midnight, someone was trying to enter our room with a room key. I yelled that we were in the room, and when they came back with the manager, I overheard the manager say they made a mistake and someone (us) were already in the room. That should never happen.

On the positive side, the room was clean, had a refrigerator and microwave, and the shower was fine. It would have been worth $59 plus tax. But, the fact they charged me more than my reservation was for by up-charging me into a larger bed, combined with allowing someone else to try to enter our room while we were sleeping, leads me to give this hotel a "terrible" review. There are plenty of other low-priced options to choose from in Cortez, CO.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

Price was cheap they allow dogs room was clean and good size it has a small fridge and microwave. It even has a smart TV with cable and netflix. Also has free WiFi and it's right across the street from a convenient store.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

But I wanted to leave a review because I have driven past this location so many times and the two times that I called I was treated with such courtesy that I will definitely make sure that I stay here on one of my trips!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2016

Quiet hotel, next to restaurant. A little hard to figure out how to enter, but the entrance is next to the office. Has tv, dorm sized refrigerator, microwave. The only issue I found is that the toliet paper is behind the door in the bathroom and the bathroom is so small you have to close it first. I was surprised to find ROKU tv instead of cable, but it is very good. Not sure if the other options besides Antenna TV works. Very pleased. Close to Mesa Verde and other attractions.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo