“Best food in best hotel in the most amazing part of Sri Lanka!”

Tea Factory Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 62 Restaurants in Nuwara Eliya
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Wonderful food in a wonderful hotel. Truly Sri Lankan cousine with big selection for everyone. Best kottu rotti I've ever had!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

ISince I have heard a lot about this hotel I decided to drop by during a recent stay in Nuwara Eliya. Travelled miles and miles just to witness the beauty of this hotel and enjoy a lovely meal.

We arrived in a tuk tuk and the doorman (dressed in a dirty white sarong) was quite unimpressed with our mode of transport (no idea as to why). I was casually greeted not my wife and inquired if we have a room reservation. Unfortunately we arrived at 2.30 pm post closure of the restaurant hence missed the buffet lunch, therefore decided to try some snacks in the lobby. Since there was no room booking we were ignored immediately as if we were some troublemakers. In the lobby we were approached by another two members of the staff however upon learning no room booking we were ignored again immediately.

Since we were mesmerized by the atmosphere of the hotel, rude staff was not our concern then. We escorted ourselves around the hotel alone while ignorant staff pretending to be extremely busy with just a couple of arrivals.

Placed an order for a double burger with chicken n beef, crumbed fish and hot chocolate. I inquired the server how the burger is being made and was informed it comes with a beef patty and chicken strips with bacon, cheese and vegetables. I specifically informed the server that I’m looking forward for a fresh burger with less vegetable/mayonnaise and nothing frozen which I was guaranteed. Hot chocolate was served first which was the beginning of a disappointing food experience. It was just liquid milk with a hint of chocolate powder and tasted awful, worst hot chocolate I've ever had. The burger was the next biggest disappointment…. It contained nothing how the menu elaborates or as described by the server. It had loads of tomatoes, cucumber, onions, mayonnaise. No beef patty, no chicken strips as promised instead there were some ham and bacon that was so devoid of flavor. Burger bun looked stale, soggy and oozing mayonnaise and there was no way to prevent it from coating my fingers and stop the bun from falling apart. French fries and crumbed fish was average (fish wasn’t fresh either). I immediately flagged the problems with the server ensuring a speedy resolution, surprisingly he politely smiled and said “Ok sir, I’ll inform the kitchen” and that’s about it.

Since complaining is an awkward, emotionally fraught interaction especially when you’re on an intimate holiday with your spouse, I decided to stay calm and enjoy the moment. Upon payment my wife complaint again to the server about the food and thankfully the hot chocolate was waived off from the bill. However no apology was made regarding the burger after being lured to pay a premium for a stale bun with some veggies and bacon and frozen fish which was disappointing.

The overall experience was pathetic with ignorant/unfriendly staff and food scam. Upon departure none of the staff thanked us for visiting the hotel most importantly doorman.

3  Thank YohanG58
Reviewed 29 March 2018

This hotel has the best staff! so helpful and friendly.always with a smile specially "maia" as the front! such a lovely guy. food was amazing too. over all 20/10

Reviewed 21 March 2018

We had the evening buffet , the food was very good, varied between Sri Lankan and Western and staff very hospitable

Reviewed 17 March 2018

The high tea was lovely with a blend of traditional sweets and English cakes. The restaurant felt like eating among the clouds in an antique world