4,464 results
All reviews a la carte restaurants sunset cruise all inclusive package our honeymoon kuoni rep sea plane deluxe beach villa water villa buffet restaurant fish lagoon side kuramathi island sand bank allocated restaurant coffee shop reef sharks sand bar
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This was our second visit to Kuramathi in 2 years and we travelled from 14th Feb to 23rd.
Last time we were in a Beach Villa on Basic All Inclusive for 7 days. This time we were in a Garden Villa on Select all Inclusive for 10 days. This is definitely the way to do it!

Travelling

We flew BA from Gatwick - all good, no problems, good food, on time. Half empty plane on the way out so spread out. Easy to navigate Male airport when we arrived luckily just before the Aeroflot plane landed so were in front of a thousand Russians in the passport queue. Took no time to get luggage and through the scanners to where you meet your rep and get directed to the right desk for boat or seaplane. We went seaplane and this was all very easy - a bus takes you to the seaplane terminal where there is a Kuramathi lounge upstairs where you can chill, have a drink/food etc and fill in your check in cards for the hotel. Then you fly to the island and get off on a pontoon in the middle of the sea. It was choppy this time so you had to hold on to the rail in the middle but then you get in a boat to the island.

Rooms

We had no problem at all with our garden villa - it was the lowest grade of room and had a metal roof instead of palm leaves like the others, but it was clean, just the right size for us and our 10 year old and had a nice party outdoor bathroom. We were actually only about 20 steps from the sea and could see it from our patio. We were actually closer than when we were in the beach villa. The bonus was we were very close to breakfast! The bed is the most comfortable I have ever slept in. Toiletries (lemongrass) were replaced every day. Plenty of hot water once I had worked out how to use the shower! It took my 10 year old to show me durr! They give you beach towels every day just in case you arent going to a pool where there are plenty of free beach towels to use.

OMG the food is AMAZING. You HAVE to go on Select All Inclusive. You can eat in any of the 6 a la carte restaurants around the island - all are great. We ate in the Palm, ISland BBQ, Duniye, Reef and Tandoor Mahal. We didnt try the Thai as our 10 year old doesnt do spicy and we go to Thailand every year. That said we were told it was very good and authentic. Lunch is either in the buffet (why??) the Palm and the Island Coffee Shop. Now the Palm is nice for lunch for a change but the menu is the same as what you can have in the evening. We had the pizza which was great and the sharing plates of tapas and meze. Our favourite was the Island BBQ, the Steak Diane is to die for, melt in the mouth - in fact we didnt have one meal we didnt enjoy and the puddings were great too. In all the restaurants whether you ate at 7, 8 or 9 you never felt rushed and they were always topping up your drinks. If you are a foody then definitely do the Select. My 10 year old tried food he would not have done before and really enjoyed the scallops and the grilled octopus salad. The Reef was nice and has been extended so there are more tables now. A nice setting by the sea. Also the TAndoor Mahal did a good curry buffet on the Friday. We met Harischandra, the manager of the Tandoor, ISland Coffee shop and Island BBQ and he was very interesting to talk to. Other staff to mention are Nazeeh and Ahmed at the Island BBQ and Island Coffee shops - they were excellent and looked after us well. To say probably the worst meal of the day was breakfast in the main buffet hall where you would eat on Basic All Inc for all meals. Really not very inspiring foodwise but we were looked after by Nashid again who was lovely. BUt its ok because lunch starts at 12.30 and the food in the island coffe shop was fantastic. Duniye was nice, fine dining restaurant and the only one that seemed to have women working in it!

Weather and other stuff

We had rain to start with but when that cleared up it was roasting hot - we used all our factor 50 up and still got burnt. We didnt have a problem with mozzies and they usually love me.

Snorkelling was great and we saw sharks, eagle rays and turtles just going off the jetty near the reception area. We hired equipment and flippers from the shop and they were very helpful.

It is very hard to think of negatives for this holiday, it truly was the best we have ever had. I suppose if I had to think of one negative it would be the fact that the Russians and Germans have found it as there were a lot of them, most of which are loud, rude to staff and unfriendly.

We did the sunset cruise which is included and that was nice - you got a glass of sparkling wine and we saw dolphins! My husband and son went to Rasdhoo - didnt like it much and wanted to get back to Kuramathi. They did however buy some nice gifts. Not much cheaper than what is available in the gift shop in Kuramathi though. Also we did the snorkel safari which was excellent - Claudia the marine biologist showed us some very interesting things. My husband did 2 dives which he enjoyed and said the price was similar to other places he had been.

It is clean, beautiful beaches, each area of the island has a different feel about it, it is large enough to not even feel busy when 95% full, two nice pools to choose from, great snorkelling, wonderful staff - even the gardeners say hello! Rooms are fine - yes they probably could be a bit smarter but you only sleep in them and they were very clean. Its good to tip people but no-one expects it. The pool guy was lovely and helpful, moving umbrellas around for us but I cant remember his name. The food is by far the best thing about this island - it is the best all inclusive food I have ever had and cant wait to go back to eat more of it! I want to go again!!!

Room tip: Rooms 1 - 12 are apparently right on the beach (garden rooms) but you cant guarantee you will get these. We had 153 and it was perfect.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Catkins123
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Kuramathi island is a must see and a true asset to the Maldives. I was a newbie to the Maldives, visiting only because of its reviews as an exceptional honeymoon destination, and a disappointment it was not. I visited during the latter end of January and stayed with my husband for 5 nights which we were under the illusion, would be enough. I can honestly say that couldn't be further from the truth, with us both kicking ourselves for not booking it for longer. Prior to visiting the Maldives, we also convinced ourselves that it would be a once in a lifetime vacation (due mainly to the exorbitant costs involved!) However, I would have to say hand on heart that it was worth every penny.
Upon arrival at the seaplane dock, we were taken to a lounge, complete with sundeck! specifically for residents staying at Kuramathi island. There we were provided with an assortment of hot and cold drinks and cold finger foods. We waited no longer than 30 minutes when we were summoned to board the seaplane. The seaplane is a must and allows an indescribable view of various islands from above.
Upon arrival at the island, we were given a warm welcome and taken to our water villa via buggy. The water villas are a sight to behold, and falling asleep to the sound of waves is another experience not to be missed.
Kuramathi island has a number of notable things to do. Be sure to look out for the unique wildlife (herons, hermit crabs, fruit bats along with various types of vegetation. The sunset cruise also allows for a beautiful view of the island and sea at dusk, while the excursion to the local island of Rasdhoo gives a partial insight into the life of local Maldivian islanders. Stingray feeding is also an exciting display, where tourists are given the chance to witness an experienced feeder feeding stingrays at close range.
The island boasts a number of high quality a la carte restaurants. Most notable for me was the Reef restaurant where i sampled the best Angus ribeye steak I have ever had the pleasure of chowing down on, and the island BBQ where I was able to enjoy watching my steak being flambeed right by my side. The Indian tandoor mahal and Italian palm pizzeria also did not disappoint. We also had the option of Thai cuisine (siam garden) and gourmet (Duniye) but did not have the pleasure of tasting these due to our short stay on the island.
I would definitely recommend Kuramathi island to anyone thinking of a visit to the Maldives. The staff were so diligent, friendly and genuine and I have never experienced customer service like I did on Kuramathi island. I love the Maldives and I love Kuramathi island! It was a truly a honeymoon to cherish for the rest of my life.

Room tip: The water villa is a must!Located in the centre of the island, both the main reception area (livelier side) and the south side (quieter side) are within walking walking distances.
Date of stay: January 2013
3  Thank leyya1988
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My wife and I have just returned from 2 weeks in Kuramathi - this was our first trip to the Maldives and Kuramathi was, simply, brilliant!. At first we were a little disappointed with the Beach Villa (which wasn't really near the beach!) - it was perfectly adequate, and staying for 2 weeks in this villa would not have been a problem - but after 4 days we made our planned moved to a Beach Villa with a jacuzzi on the other side of the island. This was only a few steps from the beach and was different class - everything we could have hoped for.

As other reviewers have said, the upgrade to the a la carte (select) all inclusive is absolutely worth it - offering the chance to experience fine dining without having to worry about what it might cost. On the subject of dining, we tried all the restaurants, but repeatedly visited The Reef, The Duniye, and the Island Barbeque. Everything that has been written about the Steak Diane in the Barbeque is true - cooked to perfection by Ibrahim or Nazeeh - at your table if there is no wind. Don't limit yourself to the steak though, there are other fantastic dishes on offer in the Barbeque. The Reef did some great fish dishes, where Christine made the experience special, and the Wagyu beef tenderloin in the new restaurant, The Duniye, has to be tasted to be believed - again, the service could not be faulted.

For day time snacks, coffees etc - the Coffee Shop was the place to go. The food was wonderful and, again, the service of all staff - Ibrahim, Nazeeh, Ali and all the rest was great - all willing to chat and pass the time of day.

In fact, all staff were very friendly and extremely helpful (don't understand some of the recent comments). We were bitten by mosquitos, despite using insect repellent - but hey, this is a desert island! I might take a different repellent next time, but the nasties wouldn't stop us returning and did not take away from our enjoyment.

For those of you who dive, the diving is great - a mixture of gentle drifting along a wall, to wild currents taking you over the reefs, and having to fight against currents on some dives - Madivaru is the best site ever for coral and fish life - the sheer variety and numbers is difficult to comprehend. There were sharks on all dives - whitetip, blacktip and grey reef sharks, but a distinct shortage of hammerheads - only one seen (to my knowledge) in the 14 days. Did get to see some Mantas, but the current was detrimental to close up viewing during my stay. If you don't dive, be sure to snorkel on the house reef - loads and loads of different fish - more sharks (they're not interested in you). On our last day, we passed the time on the beach watching the blacktips going up and down the beach (within a few yards of the sand), and then had the priviledge to be snorkelling when a group of five came swimming through (again just yards from the beach).

If you're thinking of going to the Maldives - go to Kuramathi!

Room tip: If you want to be close to the beach, I suggest you get a Beach Villa with a jacuzzi - I think you're more likely to be close with one of these, rather than a Beach Villa. The villa we had for the first few days was on the lagoon side and found it difficult to dry swimming costumes, T shirts etc - no such problem in our second villa on the Rasdoo side.
3  Thank alunmorgan50
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

All I will say is go as soon as you can. We stayed on our honeymoon last Sept and it was paradise. All inclusive was fab, great food lovely selection and drinks and coctails the best. Only slight quibble is no premium coffees included. Sea plane there disappointing as you don't fly over any other islands there. Loved the films on the beach at night, shame not every night though. Loved it but kuoni reps are not very good as we enquire several times about a room change and never heard back. Also our flight delay going home they were absent at the airport and we were left to fend for ourselfs, very below par kuoni! anyway the island really is top notch and anyone would love it. We will go again for sure.

Date of stay: September 2012
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Our stay at Kuramathi Resort was a real dream come true! We stayed only 5 days from 16 to 20/02/2013 and it was absolutely too short. It was our first time in Maldives so probably the "wow" effect was bigger. We had some rain on arrival and we were a little bit dissapointed but welcome was very warm and the next day there was more sun. Partly cloduly weather is not a problem at all, it is evem more charming. However rain makes the paradise with superb colours dissapear. In my opinion the weather makes the difference here.

We were staying in Water Villa (the older type, without jacuzzi) and I must say it was fantastic. Before booking I have read many reviews saying that Water Villas are not good enought and I don't agree. The view on the lagoon in the morning is an unforgetable expierience while for snorkling on the reef side where Water Villas with jacuzzi are located you can always have a walk as it take less than 2 minutes.

We were on FB basis. Food was good but not fantastic. What we enjoyed most was service ar Farivalhu restaurant! Many thanks to hour friends Ali and Akram for great time!

In a few words this island is a real paradise like the entire country I assume! Watch out the sun which is extremely dangerous even hiden behind clouds. I burned myself during snorkeling and it was horrible experience.

Room tip: We stayed in Water Villa 306 and it was great but I think most of the Villas are really good.
3  Thank jarulk