“Unsure”

Royal Thai
Ranked #16 of 73 Restaurants in Kunshan
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 4 September 2016

I decided to eat here while in the area & was expecting more. Firstly if you follow the directions on the map you end up in the totally wrong place. The food i thought was on the expensive side & the green thai curry, well i have had much better. There did not seem to be any atmosphere & the service was a little disappointing.
You have to try places to see what they are like, I've tried it & probably would not return.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

I have been to this restaurant twice. The first time in June and again 2 weeks ago. Each time was a great experience. The manager, Lisa, made sure our group was well taken care of each time. On our 2nd visit she even remembered us. None of us speak Chinese, and Lisa was the only person in the restaurant who did, but she took great care of us. Both times she was not immediately available, but the menu has pictures and English titles, so we could point and order very easily. All of the staff were excellent and quite helpful.

The food came in a timely manner and everything was great. I don't normally gush so much on reviews, but I can't overstate the quality of the food. It was the best Thai I have ever had. There were several of us on both visits so we ordered a dozen or so items and passed them around. They were all great. All three curries, yellow, red, and green were delicious. The Pad Thai was very good. And the soup was excellent, but be warned it is typical Thai hot.

The restaurant is right behind the convention center in Kunshan, and is in walking distance from many of the hotels, including the Swissotel where I stayed. This restaurant has become a MUST for me when I visit Kunshan.

Reviewed 29 August 2015

I love Thai food, I eat it often and - having been to Thailand and lived near Thai Town in Los Angeles - I know the difference between just ok and truly exceptional.

Royal Thai is truly exceptional. You will pay for that fact, but it's well worth it if you're craving good Thai.

The tom ka gai (coconut chicken soup) is a perfect balance of sour, salty, creamy and sweet. The green papaya salad is fresh and crisp. The mango chicken is tangy with an appropriately light breading around the meat. The green curry beef and thai style red curry chicken each have a soft creaminess to them due to a generous helping of coconut milk. The grilled eggplant's salty soy-based sauce complimented balanced the flavor of the base vegetable, and the sauteed greens had a perfect level of spice.

Our server, Lisa, is lovely and kind with good recommendations and attentive service. All in all, this was a fantastic lunch and we will most definitely be back.

Reviewed 20 July 2015

I took some work colleagues to have dinner after work to the Royal Thai. The food was served quickly and was all hot. I would say it is a little run of the mill for Thai food but worth a visit if you are spending some time in Kunshan, China. I did enjoy the red Thai curry but you may need a glass of water with that dish unless you are a hardened curry eater!!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have been here several times and always appreciated the very helpful and friendly staff. With her fluent english, the manager Lisa helps you to pick the right dishes from the vast offer of choices. The place's ambience is quiet and completely different from typicaly bustling local Chinese or western restaurants. Dishes are always fresh and even for the plain rice, Thai rice is chosen. All in all, a very welcome change from every-day Chinese or western food and easily reachable on foot from Swissotel and Sovereign hotel.