Makk Hotel(Kampot)
US$34
US$25
US$23
US$35
Mad Monkey Hostel Kampot(Kampot)(Great Value!)
US$18
Samon's Village(Kampot)(Great Value!)
US$12
US$10
  • Restaurant
Kool Kampot(Kampot)(Great Value!)
US$12
TripAdvisor
The Magic Sponge(Kampot)(Great Value!)
All reviewsdory fishthe ownerthe riverthe kampot pepper crabwatch the worldtwo night stayfew beersfish amokriversidecambodiaaromaticsunsetginrepairpat
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Andy the owner comes across as a really nice bloke. Welcomed us in for a (cheeky happy hour) cocktail or two and then we came back for dinner a couple of nights later. I had fish n' chips and the Mrs had the ribs with veg and a jacket potato (baked for people struggling to understand). Both meals were exactly what we were looking for and the staff were really friendly. We looked through the previous reviews and at first were hesitant to come for dinner purely because of them... trip adviser, internet know alls and ignorant people can be overly critical of what must be a difficult business to run: you are in Cambodia, if you have been to Cambodia you will realise how rare it is to see a whole potato! Let alone some real vegetables and many other things on their menu. Maybe I'm biased because I'm British but it really was a nice treat - after a couple of weeks on rice, noodles, and the odd frozen 'French fry', it was refreshing to have a real pub style meal and actual chip shop chips. We're hanging around Kampot for a few more days and will certainly be back!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2017

We enjoyed a lovely meal and sunset here with a few beers and gin and tonics. Excellent value. The snapper special was tasty, cooked with the aromatic local Kampot green pepper, ginger and chilli. Accompanied by a green mango salad. Fish Amok was our first try of this dish, we were impressed. Delicate coconut flavour and well cooked dory fish. We would recommend and are surprised by previous negative reviews.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Wasn't impressed by this place from the outset. The whole building is quite grotty. When I arrived I was told my room wasn't The room also wasn't very clean. There were stains on the bed sheets, bathroom was dirty, lots of marks on the walls and the water drinking glasses were filthy. I'm not too fussy though and still would have had no issues staying here. Within 20 minutes, I heard a strange water sound coming from the bathroom. I got up to inspect and found lots of water splurting out of the shower sinkhole: To my disgust the water was brown and had big brown chunks through it. It smelt and I believe it was sewerage. There was so much water that the shower floor was covered in the brown water and had overfilled onto the bathroom floor. I went and got the two ladies who were working there at the time. They were unapologetic and told me they were having works done at the building and if I waited a few hours until the works had been completed, they would get someone to clean it. I told her it was disgusting and I didn't want to stay in that room. I probably would have still stayed in another room but she made that sound like a difficulty and said she'd need to ask her boss so I decided to move to another hotel down the road (Good morning Kampot Guesthouse which was much much nicer (and cheaper)). I then complained through the booking agency and asked for a refund. The hotel lied about what had happened and said had to keep the hotel room free because they thought I might be coming back so didn't want to refund me. Luckily the booking agency enforced it. I've been traveling in Cambodia for 5 weeks and this is by far the worst hotel/guesthouse experience I've had.
Stay away from this one guys!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2017

I don't think I've ever been to a worse restaurant. I had a prawns starter, which was completely tasteless and swimming in oil. The bread on the side had also definitely been frozen and warmed in a microwave, as it was dry and hard. The rest of the table ordered "pitta" bread and "hummus." The hummus tasted like garlic wallpaper paste and the bread was again defrozen, microwaved cardboard which tasted like nothing. The worst was my main, which was supposed to be a pork and chorizo stew. Instead, it was a pale bowl of slop which tasted like oversalted, well, substance really. The other meals were all essentially the same, hugely salted and no real flavour. My friend described the bean stew as "pig feed." It was shockingly bad. The only good thing was that it was so bad it was laughable. On a positive note, the waitress was friendly and helpful, but the owner or the manager just seemed to be running around all night in a flap and disappearing on his motorbike.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laurence S
Reviewed 8 June 2017

This was our 1st stop in Cambodia and athough the hotel looks very untidy from the outside we thought we would give it a try. MISTAKE!!! The room were not very clean and had a musty smell. There were hairs in the shower plug hole. The hotel does not have a restuarant but there are plenty of places to eat in the area. We only stayed 1 nigh as were travelling the next day. It's a budget hotel and VERY budget at that. If you want cheap, no frills, 1 nights stay then this may suit you. Otherwise go somewhere ellse.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends