“Delicious Brisket and Wings, Great Happy Hour”
Review of Hill Country Barbecue Market - CLOSED

Hill Country Barbecue Market
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Hill Country honors the barbecue and live music capital of Texas and takes its "cue" from the legendary meat-markets-turned-barbecue-joints of Central Texas with their distinctive, dry-rub style. All barbecue is cooked fresh daily on premise in our custom meat-smoking room. Our brisket, sausage, ribs and other meats are smoked low and slow over Texas post oak and are served on butcher paper, counter-style by the pound as is traditional in Central Texas.. Updated versions of classic Southern sides and sweets, created by executive chef Elizabeth Karmel, include Longhorn Cheddar Mac & Cheese and Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes. Hill Country features a marketplace full of Lone Star State favorites such as Kreuz Market sausage, Big Red soda, and Blue Bell ice cream. Our bar offers a wide selection of longneck beers, tequila, bourbon, and specialty cocktails as well as live American Roots Music in our legendary Boot Bar most nights of the week
Reviewed 15 March 2016

The brisket was great, as were the wings. When you are ready to order, simply go up to the order line and place it. It comes right out. I had a good time, the food was filling, and I would go again.

Good:
-The chicken was juicy and tasted good
-The rib was big and had a lot of meat on it
-The BRISKET was everything, please try this
-Brisket, Chicken & Rib meal ($23)
-Happy hour wings were great ($3 for an order of 3)
-Longhorn Cheddar Mac & Cheese
-Sweet Potato Bourbon Mash
-Chocolate chunk cookie dessert
-Seasonal crisp (apple) was a large portion
-Happy ends at 7pm
-You can RSVP for 100 points on OpenTable
-Located in an accessible area
-There was great live music upstairs on the 2nd level
-Nice vibe and lively atmosphere but not so loud you have to yell to speak

Bad:
-I found the menu a bit confusing, the worker who took our order helped explain it

Reviewed 24 February 2016

Found this place while strolling on holiday in Brooklyn's center and being lunchtime went in and we where amazed at the building and décor and as lovers of BBQ comfort food had an amazing meal and experience. They also have a great selection of beers on tap and cocktails abound. They offer daily specials and also meat by the 1/2 pound and great sides. Really good prices for all food and drinks and happy hours are long. The ordering system is different, in that its more like a southern US BBQ style and mark down your choices as you take them and then pay after with the slip. A fantastic old building which I researched as being the old Edison Electric building from 1922, really restored and modified in the best way. A truly great unexpected experience in NYC.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

I had the Cobb Salad with fried chicken. It had beets, boiled egg, bacon and they used kale. I would be straight up lying if I said it wasn't the best dam salad I have ever had. I woofed it down.
I went with a friend on a late week night the place was empty. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

If this is BBQ then I'm not a southern. It is ok but there are better restaurants in this area. The food you chose is weighed by the pound and you pay by the pound. Service is terrible. I can only recommend the smoked turkey.

Betty H, Guest Relations Manager at Hill Country Barbecue Market, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2016

Dear Linda - Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We're sorry to read about your recent disappointing experience as we take great pride in providing exceptional cuisine and genuine southern hospitality to our guests. Can you please take a minute to email us at info@hillcountrybk(dot)com? A senior staff member from our team would like to follow up with you regarding this visit. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 February 2016

Brisket is always the measure of bbq... their's was tender, but the price was dear. I know millennials think it's cool to drink beer out of a mason jar... I don't.

Betty H, Guest Relations Manager at Hill Country Barbecue Market, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2016

Hi Terry - Thanks for your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed the brisket. As you may know, our mission is to share our passion for authentic food, music and hospitality inspired by the Hill Country of Texas. That is why we serve beer and cocktails in mason jars -- and have been since we first opened our doors in 2007. Please feel free to email us with any other comments or suggestions at info@hillcountryny.com. Thanks. We hope to see you again soon!