“Something Special”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Carroll Street
Transit: F and G train - Carroll Street
Reviewed 29 July 2016

The four of us ate there on a Sunday evening and it wasn't crowded. We started off with a cocktail and then ordered a few appetizers and some main course dishes. The east cost squid, spring rolls, and the pork shoulder were excellent. I wouldn't describe this as a Vietnamese restaurant although Vietnamese cuisine is probably its inspiration. In any case the food was different from what I was expecting and it was incredible. Great Place!

1  Thank Noonan1224

Reviewed 30 June 2016

The cocktail menu was innovative and interesting, with ingredients I didn't recognize but enjoyed the taste. My beef pho was filling and tasty. The salad was fresh and a good contrast. Prices were reasonable for Brooklyn. The wait staff fawns a little too hard for my taste, but that could a generational thing. I would go back.

Reviewed 23 December 2015

My family and I eat here on average about twice a month; and whereas we miss their old deal--half off on bottles of wine on Sundays--we return again and again, secure in the knowledge that the food will be very good and the service most friendly. The nosh is broadly defined as Vietnamese-fusion, with American Southern incursions predominating. The menu is short, and we usually order the same thing each time: the outstanding fried squid appetizer, dressed in salt, pepper and lime, and the refreshing Vietnamese chicken salad. For the main course it's a choice of noodle bowls or one among a smattering of meat dishes: the port chop is fab. The bun cha bowl is outstanding, with juicy pork patties; and the pork shoulder with rice "sheets" and chili paste is a hearty, tasty, belly-filler. The jambalaya is very good, too, and packs a lot of heat (so beware). The wine list is pretty basic: quaffable plonk at a very reasonable price; and the bartender makes a lovely martini. The place is unpretentious and group-friendly (though book in advance if there are going to be lots of you, as the place is small). The bar is compact and comfy, too, and a good place to eat if you're on your own, or a deux. My bottom line: I love this place, and am grateful for its being just a short walk away from home!

1  Thank Tunku V
Reviewed 6 September 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our drop in dinner. Very innovative and mouth-wateringly delicious. Cocktails were very tasty too! Service was perfect - we will return!!

1  Thank Bdatripper
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We really enjoyed our casual dinner at Nightingale 9. The flavors were clean and bright, the preparation excellent. We especially liked the grilled seafood salad, spring rolls and hanger steak. Almost all the dishes are good for sharing. The service was very friendly. We will be back.

1  Thank Allesistschon

Been to Nightingale 9? Share your experiences!