Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
US$158
US$176
Free cancellation until 06/03/21
Official Hotel
US$176
US$85
SAVE US$91
Reserve now, pay at stay
AscendUS$158
Hotels.comUS$176
FindHotelUS$146
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 January 2020

Do not stay at this hotel!

I booked a stay here through Hostelworld, a third party service I have used for years without any problems, where you pay a small fee for the booking and then pay the rest of the amount due to the hotel when upon arrival. However, when I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that someone who I have never met before in my life had stayed in a room under my name a week previously and that they had charged my credit card without my authorization for the stay. The person at the front desk was incredibly rude and unsympathetic, insinuated that I was lying about not knowing the person who stayed under my name, and kept insisting that it must have been an error through Hostelworld's system. He also gave me a whole lecture on using "unreliable" third party services and that I should be more careful with my credit card information and then told me to book another night with no guarantee of a refund for the fraudulent night, which I did because I had no other place to stay on such short notice.

I then called a Hostelworld customer service agent who was very helpful, concerned, and confused about the whole situation, as they told me that the reservation was in place for the correct date and that any change after my initial booking would have had to been made by the hotel. They also offered to speak directly to the manager on my behalf to clear the matter up and advocate for my situation. I was told the manager was out and would contact me in my room later that day, which of course, she never did. I was also told she would be in the next day, and she was not. A few days after I left the city, I was finally able to get in touch with someone by phone (not the manager) who told me they would issue a refund for one night within 14 days, which I still have not received. Furthermore, I have had to deactivate my credit card because a small Amazon charged popped up a few days later that I had not made so it is absolutely certain that someone stole my information, whether it was the hotel or the person who stayed.

Since my stay, I have read many other reviews stating claims of fraud, so am convinced this is the fault of the hotel, not Hostelworld, since everyone I interacted with was being so defensive and suspicious in every encounter. The actual room was fine, but absolutely do not stay here under any circumstances, as this has been the worst hotel experience I have ever had and made my nice vacation weekend a huge headache.

Date of stay: January 2020
unionhotelbrooklyn, Guest Relations Manager at Union Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2020

Dear Marndef,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Union Hotel, Ascend Hotel Collection.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our entire hotel team for the reservation error that occurred on our end during your stay. I have also reached out to you directly. I will be happy to hear from you if you need any help or assistance with this matter further. I can assure you no personal data is shared with other customers and is encrypted in our reservation system.

Again, thank you so much for your stay and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Brooklyn.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 December 2019

So the wanted poster on the front door welcoming guest should have been a clue. The room was tiny, fair on cleanliness. The real issue came a week after my stay when my credit card was hit for over 1,000 in fraud. The only place I us d it in over a month was here. Don't stay if you can help it.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2019 via mobile

The pros, closest "reasonable" hotel to Barclay Center. That's about it.

Bed was only accessible from one side where there was 8 inches of space. Other side had less than 4 inches, and a TV mounted on that wall. No place to put suitcase.

Glad we were just sleeping there a few hours.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2019

We were apparently given a "cozy queen" room. The bed was surrounded by a closet/cupboard and there was about an inch or so between the mattress and the cupboard/bed frame. I have a huge bruise on my leg from the knob on the cupboard that sticks out very close to the mattress. This place was an incredible disappointment.

Avoid staying here especially if you are a senior citizen. It is very difficult to get in and out of the bed because of the surrounding cupboard. There is no free breakfast as was mentioned before.

Date of stay: November 2019
Reviewed 19 October 2019

To set the stage - There are limited hotel options for stays in Gowanus Brooklyn at the moment. So, having stayed at the Union Hotel once before, I recommended my wedding guests stay here because I knew it would be close to my wedding venue. The rooms are teeny tiny, but at least I knew they would be in walking distance to my wedding so my out-of-town guests could enjoy themselves without having to worry about driving.

I prepaid for 3 rooms especially for my limited-English speaking guests and had some issues getting them checked in on the day of my wedding (not to be dramatic, but the front desk literally called me to tell me that there were issues with the reservations 5 minutes before I was suppose to walk down the aisle!! even though I made the reservation over a month in advance. They made no apologies or attempts to help me out even after I told them I was a bride who was literally about to be married and could use a little assistance on their part)....but after some phone calls and email exchanges with the front desk it seemed that all was well and I did not hear from the hotel again.

Around 2am, my guests - the family of 6 for whom I had prepaid the rooms- call me that they are back home in New Jersey because the hotel refused to give them room keys and they were turned away.

The hotel staff never made any effort to notify me of any issues. When I found at 2am that my guests were in New Jersey instead of safe in their hotel rooms, I called the hotel right away. I was told by the front desk that they could not help me and the General Manager would not be in until Monday after a holiday weekend. I was stonewalled at that point. No apologies. No efforts to remedy the situation. I didn't even know there was an issue until my guests embarrassingly had to call me in the middle of the night hours later.

When I finally spoke with the hotel GM, they refused to refund me for the prepaid rooms (giving various excuses for why they felt they didn't need to give me my $ back). But the point is, I would have NEVER KNOWN there was a problem with my reservation because they made no attempt to reach out to me so I could fix the situation in real time. Instead they intimidated my non-English speaking guests and forced them into a taxi in the middle of the night. Meanwhile the whole reason I booked and prepaid for these rooms for my guests was because they did not speak English well and I didn't want them to have to deal with any issues on my WEDDING NIGHT! Needless to say, it was a horrible experience for everyone involved.

I do not take bad reviews lightly. I think the whole unpleasant situation could have been avoided if the front desk just let me know what was happening in real time (it was my name on the reservation after all). Instead the hotel took my money, said nothing and then denied any responsibility in the fiasco in the following days.

Date of stay: August 2019