“Excellent value for New York”

Ranked #37 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Newcastle
“Excellent value for New York”
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My family and I found this hotel excellent value for our five night stay.
It is only a five minute walk to the subway which has good connections to all parts of Manhattan and beyond. Take the D line to Upper Manhattan and R line to lower Manhattan and the ferries to statue of liberty or Staten Island.
The room was a bit small but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was free and had a good variety.
The only down side is the lack of any restaurants that look safe to eat at so plan to eat out at at one of the many excellent eateries elsewhere before returning.

Room Tip: Suggest away from the front and main traffic noise might be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Very good value for money. Don,t be put off by comments about the less salubrious location. We stayed for 8 nights and always felt very safe. A short walk to 35th Street offered many more choices for eating and supermarket shopping. The conveniece of the subway just round the corner was great. 36th Station is a express stop so travel to Manhattan was quite quick. Don't miss a walk in nearby Greenwood Cemetery. The hotel itself was clean, quiet and very comfortable. We had a back room and quite enjoyed the view. Windows could be opened to let in the fresh air. Breakfast was plentiful and was more than the continental advertised. The breakfast room can be very crowded but you could take your food back to your room if you wished.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room, better view and probably quieter. Ours was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeanetteken
toronto
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I am a television producer who works for Discovery Channel. On Tuesday night, September 27th, 2011, myself and my two man crewed checked into this place. As soon as we drove up in our van, the man at the desk (Sunny) came out and rudely told us to move our vehicle. We checked in and immediately found all of our rooms smelled funny.

The rooms are tiny. In the morning, I discovered that our cameraman had found a bed bug in his bed and slept the night in our van. We told the staff we were leaving and checking out to go to another hotel. They immediately said we were booked for three nights and because our company had booked through an on-line service, our money would not be reimbursed. We left anyway. I eventually discovered that I had left my cellphone charger in my room. When I called the next morning and spoke to Sunny, he had no record I had even been there. No charger had been found and he said he would call me if it was found. I received no call so on the Thursday night we stopped by the hotel to see if they had found it. There the man at the desk was very very rude. He was on the phone talking to a friend and could barely summon the energy to deal with me. He told me to come back in the morning. I told him I wanted to go look in the room to see if my charger was there. He refused. I asked to speak to the manager, and he refused again. We began a loud shouting match. He told me that I had left it too long to come back for my charger. Finally, because I caused such a ruckus and refused to leave, he told me to sit down and he would let me see the room once he had dealt with another customer. We checked out the room, did not find the charger. And we continued to argue. He was awful. The worst hotel staff I have ever encountered. Both he and Sunny were surly and unpleasant.

Stay away from this hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: stay away from this place
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Bruce L

Travellers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed here 4 nights for business purpose (originally we booked 5 nights but we left 1 day earlier coz this hotel is really bad!!). This hotel is far away from the city, near the industry area. The room is small, one of the room our staffs stayed was at the basement (open the window can see the carpark). The staff is impolite coz our staff called to my room but she didn't know my room number. The staff said he was very busy and blame my staff hasn't my room number!! Also, the most terrible thing is the towel is very dirty.

We never stay this hotel again!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sun L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

My friend and I spent 6 nights at the Comfort Inn and had a wonderful time. I was incredibly dubious by my choice of accomodation after reading various reviews but was instantly pleasantly surprised by the hotel! Perfectly clean, very comfortable well sized bathroom and bedroom for 2. Fabulous location for the subway that made it easy to get to wherever we pleased! One massive drawback - whilst packing we discovered a gift bought for a friend had mysteriously disappeared...and it was DEFINATELY in the room. Horribly disappointed and even more so by the unhelpful lady on the desk BUT even that would not deter me from visiting again as it was just too good for value!

Room Tip: A king sized room wouldn't be an extravagant choice and not one facing the street - slight traff...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends