“sloooow service, very bland food and too high a price”

Fairbanks Golf and Country Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The public is invited to play on the club's scenic nine-hole golf course located west of downtown Fairbanks.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Service - The servers work their butts off and never get anywhere. This is because they have no bus staff, no host/hostess and no one to fill drinks. They do work very hard, and I feel for them. They were very helpful and nice when you got a moment of their time. When you walk in no one speaks to you, leaving you to wonder if is a seat yourself lodge/bar type place. But no, you are supposed to hang and wait. then wait. then wait. then wait......overall it took 45 minutes to get salad, another 30 for entrees and another 30 for the check.

Food - Flavorless and bland. We had the bourbon street shrimp (a favorite at their sister restaurant), the tenderloin with truffle butter and the lobster mac-n-cheese. The "chef" ruined the shrimp with a lack of spice. The filet came with a block of rock hard frozen butter on top. This cooled the flavorless (but correctly cooked) steak. By the servers reaction I think that happens often. The lobster mac-n-cheese tasted like noodles, milk and lobster. There was no spice, salt or cheese flavor at all. I did like the complimentary carrot cake (due to only taking 4 bites of my dish). I bet the pastry chef is different than the other chef.

Price - I expect to pay a good price for good food. I expected yummy food for this price, and as previously mentioned it was NOT. I think the owners went cheap on their staffing levels and give poor quality food. This will lose them customers, not make them an extra dime.

Overall, extremely disappointing experience that cost $100+. I hope I can save you this cost.....

1  Thank Andrea R

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Went here with a friend expecting something special. While our salads were acceptable, the bacon wrapped scallops were waaaaay overcooked and the beef tips were chewy and a very small portion. We asked for a little more bread to soak up sauce and were charged. The service was polite, however, the waitress appeared to have too many tables and did not check to see if we needed more water etc.

1  Thank NorthernLights60826
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My family and I had dinner at the Double Eagle last night for my husband's birthday. It was a beautiful day and we decided to sit outside on their deck overlooking a great view of the golf course. Both my husband and I had steaks that were perfectly cooked and tasty. They also have a diverse selection of good beers and wines that can meet anyone's likes. The staff is helpful and knowledgeable and aim to please. If you haven't been to the Double Eagle yet, you are missing out!

1  Thank akmom907
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My wife and I visited the Double Eagle Restaurant last night. The restaurant was so cold inside folks were having to wear jackets to stay warm. The food was overpriced and sloppily prepared. It is rather unfortunate because there was a real opportunity here to create a different dining experience for Fairbanksians but the efforts flopped around like a live fish on the carpet. "Lavelle's light," same expensive prices but poorly prepped/prepared food for those Lavelle's prices. Beer selection was vaguely redeeming but I would not recommend the highly priced food whatsoever.

5  Thank DiegoCuesta