“We wanted to see the aurora and...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Aurora Borealis Lodge
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We wanted to see the aurora and the reviews said this place was good...the reviews weren't wrong!

Mok and Akiko welcomed us and made sure our stay was enjoyable. We had a hurried trip and were there only two nights and one full day. We saw a mild aurora the first night and a pretty spectacular display the second. Mok radios the guests when the aurora appears so you don't have to sit up all night waiting.

On our one day in the area we scheduled a sled-dog ride with Sled Dog Adventures. A great experience.

We're already planning our next trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank geekydon

Reviewed 25 January 2012

This is my 2nd review for the Aurora Borealis Lodge, since I revisited them again in November 2011. This time, I went alone and have made up my mind to stay at the lodge throughout my whole trip at Fairbanks. My one and only one goal was to see the aurora every night, and my dream came true.

Mok is just fantastic. He first secured my 1st floor room for the whole duration of my stay, though I was not very prompt in giving a security deposit, this was above and beyond customer service. I also requested to for an airport transfer from FAI, that was fantastic because my flights arrived at midnight. We went to Safeway for 1 hour so I could shop for my grocery for 5 days, and he helped me to buy my champagnes ahead of time (since you can't buy alcohol after certain time at night). EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The walkie talkie wake up calls were also very useful. I also helped the system by pushing the button to notify people when I saw the lights. Most of the time, I was lying on the couch facing the big windows and mesmerized by the wonderful green lights. I didn't go anywhere else. With the full kitchenette, oven, stove, microwave I didn't need to go anywhere for food.

The main lodge's deck is also a great viewing place. Basically, the whole location of the lodge is just perfect for aurora viewing. All everyone needs is luck to view the aurora.

Fortunately, I did this time! Every night!

November is a way better time to go than September or March! :)

I would definitely stay at this place again for the aurora!

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have better views on both the north and south side, but 1st floor rooms are not bad...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
11  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 18 January 2012

If you have ever dreamed of seeing the north lights this is the place. Large comfortable rooms with good heating and a kitchen make it easy to settle in chill out.
Now Alaska is known for being cold, but not too worry because the aurora lodge offers private rooms and a main lodge with north facing picture windows where you can view the aurora and stay warm.
Mok is a great host, and he offers a round trip car service to Fairbanks for those who may be nervous driving in the snow. Also he is an excellent source of advice for aurora photo tips.
One last thing, the interior of Alaska is dry, so on most nights it is clear and starry. Only thing to worry about is whether the north lights will show.
Definitely will return.

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank jaysculptures
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My partner and I spent three great days and nights at the lodge. Logan, Mok and Akiko were the perfect hosts. This has to be the best place to stay if you want to see the Aurora, the lodge accomodation is very comfortable and they have thought of everything. The scenary is breathtaking and the environment is very peacefull. We spent our days exploring using the complimentary snow shoes provided, as well as taking advantage of the tobogans on hand. The nights we spent relaxing waiting for the Auroro and we were not disappointed, it was amazing.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Shaun A
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I spent 3 days with my family at the Aurora Borealis Lodge for the holidays. The experience was so awesome. Akiko greeted us before we even got out of our car and showed us to our room. She even helped carry our things. She explained to us how everything worked. Mok was also wonderful in making our trip such a success. He was very knowledgeable about aurora borealis photography and extremely helpful. I got great pictures thanks to him. Mok and Akiko were both very accommodating to our families needs. They welcome the guests with such warmth and make you feel like part of their family. One of the best experiences ever.

Room Tip: Make sure to request an upstairs room
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family