“Terrific”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington
Transit: Brookline Village/Greenline
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

I was invited to join a good friend and his wife at La Morra for a late (weekday) meal. Our reservations were made for a late seating and when we arrived on time there was one table finishing so our meal was in a very quiet restaurant. We were assured we would not be rushed and the staff made us feel totally at ease with the situation. The restaurant itself is rather small and intimate, which is the perfect setting for what was a special meal.

We ordered several small plates - I would suggest doing so. The risotto balls, sage leaves with anchovies and the white anchovies were my favorites but the others also excellent. We also ordered salads —- I had a tomato with a fresh cheese that was out of this world. I could not find it on their online menu when I looked later so maybe it was a special. For dinner I had the hanger steak, my friends had scallops and the salmon. All were served with accompanying sides and terrific. Despite the late hour and no other guess, the waiter encouraged us to have coffee and desserts, which we did. Given the large meal we chose the sorbets, a perfect end to the meal. The food is terrific and the service could not have been more friendly and welcoming.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Some friends had told us about La Morra recently so we decided to give them a try. On a desolate stretch of Rt. 9 in Brookline, just beyond the Jamaica Way, is their location. Bar seating is on the first floor with the main restaurant seating on the second floor. The wait staff was friendly, early on a Sat. evening. There is both a small plates menu and traditional Italian dishes as well. Prices are moderate and the food that we ordered was good but nothing special. Timing from the kitchen was somewhat quirky. Our appetizers and salad came out quickly. Our entree took much longer. Coffee was served tepid but was replaced upon request. However it was too strong and very bitter. They need some work there. So, will we return soon? Probably not since we have Il Casale right here in Belmont.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 24 May 2018

I've been to La Morra before, and went back for a going away for my daughter.

We started with the meatballs -- which were tender and flavorful.

Then I added white anchovies -- tender little filets that would probably have been paired better with a salad -- but good on their own.

I finished up with Risotto -- which was Duck and Rhubarb that evening -- a very interesting combo that was enough for a couple of more days.

We had a side of Peas -- which came mashed -- definitely not what I expected.

My daughter had the bolognese -- which was very good.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

Had a very nice seat on second floor near window. Food was good, prices were good. Service was good.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Food was. Fantastic, we’ll served by very attentive staff.
Fried olives were good and tasty. Spaghetti bolognese was loaded with big chunks of meat in a very tasty sauce on home made pasta. Great
Stripe bass dish was prepared just right. The Cornish hen meal same tasty, plentiful and tasty.
One of the tastings was great also all four courses