“Very authentic Chinese food in Boston”

Wu Er by Wow Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
Wu Er by Wow Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 208 Restaurants in Brookline
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

This has been on the list for a while and I only got to try it out yesterday. This is a well decorated place, relaxing atmosphere and also decent privacy for group of 4 above. They have many barbecue choices on the menu along with others and in Boston you don't get many great barbecue places so love this. We tried a mixture of vegetable and meat barbecues and a mixed pot of spicy grill stuff. Taste great and will definitely come back another time.

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

Wu Er is only open for lunch certain days of the week.

We decided to try their eggplant tapas, Asian ribs, Zha Jiang Mian​ noodles and many skewers with hummus for dipping.

The eggplant was prepared with hoisin sauce. The ribs had a nice sauce with cilantro. Both were very good.

The skewers (lamb, beef, chicken and shrimp) all had the same cumin dry rub.
It would have been nice if the server had told us in advance that they did not have any hummus dipping sauce. The skewers were very dry and the taste monotonous. We would have chosen a few less skewers if we had been told before he served everything.

The Zha Jiang Mian​ noodles were presented very nicely. The bean sauce was very tasty and plentiful.

There are so many Brookline restaurants not sure if I'll revisit Wu Er anytime soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

We were staying in Brookline (outskirts of Boston) and came across this Chinese barbecue restaurant. We were there on a Saturday evening and the place seemed to be popular with young people, many of whom appeared to be of Chinese origin. To me that is always a reassuring sight. We had lobster Sechuan style, noodles and skewered meats. All the food was ggod, though I would not recommend the Sechuan sauce as it over powered the lobster. The service friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

In a city with very few authentic Chinese restaurants, I was optimistic when I walked in and found that everyone else was Chinese.

The menu is unusual and interesting. There is a choice of small plates, skewers and large entrees. Portions of most were large and should be shared. A carefully chosen selection will provide a fairly priced meal for three or more. The flavors were authentic and easily better than standard Chinese fair.

The problem was the service. The staff were willing but inexperienced. Food was brought out in a chaotic sequence with no explanation. I had finished when my partner received her dish.

The ambience is pleasant and would be great if the lighting in the back room were dimmed and the ceiling spots shaded.

With a little bit of work this place would be great.

Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Upon walking in you seem to step out of Brookline and into a Chinese palace with the store's very traditional designs. The dark stone and bright red trims are very inviting and definitely reminded me of a couple places I visited while in China. The staff is very friendly when you first walk in and immediately sat us. They speak both Chinese and English, so even the people who came in behind us were welcomed appropriately.

We ordered the crab cake, yan su ji, you yu, liang pi, some skewers (chicken, lamb, beef, mushroom, and chicken gizzard), and the lobster platter. Among four people that was a good amount of food. The bartender made very tasty drinks that were nice and strong and the entire staff that night interacted with us at one point or another.

I would definitely recommend this place for groups, families, date night, or even business meetings. However, I feel like they need a little something for the kids. Maybe some crayons or something. It seemed like there were a couple just running through the restaurant. (I guess that's more the parents' fault than the restaurant's, but coloring stuff might help.)

I've gone back a couple times to get other items as well: the chorizo tiger shrimp, beef noodle, and the bananas foster are all very good as well.